Author Topic: Keyboard Calculator  (Read 9124 times)

Offline IBI

Keyboard Calculator
« on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 17:54:28 »
They're a lot more compact than normal keyboard keys, I'd imagine they're probably specially made for the device. You could certainly make one yourself with normal keys -although I wonder if the travel would be too long for a handheld device.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline watduzhkstand4

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 15:17:38 »
I can't wait to see how good this works. I'm still looking for one to buy =]
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline lam47

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 15:22:37 »
It looks great but seems rather expensive to me!
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline DrunkenDonut

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 21:29:13 »
You teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!  @_@
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline watduzhkstand4

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 23:26:11 »
How does the white alps copies feel comparing to the real white alps?

How much was it again?
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 00:41:32 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;96624
How does the white alps copies feel comparing to the real white alps?

for the record, I for one oppose the designation 'real' and 'fake' for the various alps switches, as I feel the terms are misleading in a way (and unecessariliy make the later alps switches seem to be imposters of some kind - they're not, they're licensed/legal manufacturers).

I feel it would be like referring to unicomp as 'fake buckling springs' and ibm made ones as 'real buckling springs'.  Doesnt seem right.

Sure, the 'later' alps switches vary in design and there were three or four major redesigns (after all we think unicomp uses lighter springs, dont we?), but they're all marketed under the alps umbrella and there's nothing 'fake' about them. They're redesigns.

So I prefer the terms 'original' and 'later'.

How do they feel? As with most questions like this, you'll get a range of responses since this is very subjective. I've tried pretty much all of them. My own opinion is that the 'original' alps is quite similar (in feel, tone, etc) to the 'later' switch that was sold as the "XM" switch (and which you find in most 'alps' keyboards out there today including filco and matias and ABS and so on.  Actually the XM switch is probably the most common one out there today.  So if you ask me, its pretty similar to the 'original' one.

You can still get your hands on the 'original' one pretty easily - just pick up an at101w on ebay for about $25 to $30 shipped, sometimes less. It has the 'original' 'bigfoot' alps.  

Now some people will swear the newer XM is different from teh original bigfoot, but for me I find them more similar than not. Sure, they're slightly different, but not by much, if you ask me.

There are two remaining varieties of alps, both hard to find today.  I actually forgot what one of them is. It wasnt any big shakes though.  Now the other one, called 'real simplified' in the wiki - ah, thats my favorite alps switch. Quite different from the other alps designs and for my money much better than the rest. Unfortunately also virtually impossible to find anymore. Its a pity.

I came across it on the matias TP2 (old version - with the bum control card with the ghosting problems, so I couldnt use it anyway). But in terms of feel it was meaty, slightly heavier, clunkier and lower toned sound, and kept its resistance more consistently on the downstroke.  (To be honest, it was like buckling springs, lol). But different enough to be neat.

Anyway, to answer your question, XM's are fairly similar to bigfoots, if you ask me.  Alright, they're higher in tone when they click. But bigfoots are a bit high pitched to begin with too. Others will chime in with their views here anyway.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline watduzhkstand4

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 01:05:41 »
I'm using a Dell AT101W right now but it feels like the keystrokes are getting heavier and heavier as I use it. I don't think I really like it as much as I did at first. But I am looking forward to seeing what ripster is going to put up tomorrow since I am quite interested in a numpad myself!
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 01:24:08 »
Quote from: ripster;96634
Well, I am TOTALLY confused by all the Alps switches

lol so am I.  The naming schemes in our wiki doesnt help with that. I tried re-orging it once but all the alps experts pounced on me and changed it back. :)

so I'm just going to post a picture and my patented RipOmeter results.

thats the important stuff

It's probably a XM switch from your description.

probably; i'm pretty sure its the only one thats still manufactured.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 01:29:50 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;96636
I'm using a Dell AT101W right now but it feels like the keystrokes are getting heavier and heavier as I use it. I don't think I really like it as much as I did at first. But I am looking forward to seeing what ripster is going to put up tomorrow since I am quite interested in a numpad myself!

well the XM switch is probably a bit lighter and a bit higher toned. Not by much though. (Although also nowhere near as light as the blue cherry).

You may be able to try the XM switch in retail stores. I tried it out at the J&R in downtown manhattan, the latest matias Tactile Pro 2 has them.  I dont know who else carries the TP2 though.

If the strokes are getting heavier, do you think you might prefer a switch that is lighter overall?

Offline watduzhkstand4

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 01:38:30 »
Quote from: wellington1869;96640
well the XM switch is probably a bit lighter and a bit higher toned. Not by much though. (Although also nowhere near as light as the blue cherry).

You may be able to try the XM switch in retail stores. I tried it out at the J&R in downtown manhattan, the latest matias Tactile Pro 2 has them.  I dont know who else carries the TP2 though.

If the strokes are getting heavier, do you think you might prefer a switch that is lighter overall?

I might be heading to the city this weekend so I'll try to head out to J&R to check out the Matias Tactile Pro 2. I ordered the blank Filco Mini with blue cherries and I'm just waiting for it to come and surprise me with a lighter key feel. With your assurance, I think I made the right decision in buying this Filco Mini because I was looking for something that has the feel and sound of the Dell AT101W but with lighter key feel.

Thanks for your help Wellington!
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 02:11:41 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;96641
I might be heading to the city this weekend so I'll try to head out to J&R to check out the Matias Tactile Pro 2. I ordered the blank Filco Mini with blue cherries and I'm just waiting for it to come and surprise me with a lighter key feel. With your assurance, I think I made the right decision in buying this Filco Mini because I was looking for something that has the feel and sound of the Dell AT101W but with lighter key feel.

that sounds like a good plan. I dont know if you've been to the city before, you want the downtown location of J&R (near city hall). (J&R has another 'location' which is a mini-store within Macy's, they dont have keyboards there).
At the downtown store they used to have some interesting keyboards that I'd never seen anywhere else (including the TP2). And they lay them out for the public to get their hands on, which is nice.

Thanks for your help Wellington!

np :)  Having been thru the trial-and-error process myself, its fun to pass on whatever I learned (and retained) ;)  Though each journey is unique, grasshopper.

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:28:14 »
thats a calculator i'd be proud to put on my desk :)

now if it had a usb cable that turned it into a numpad...   altho in a way, its even cooler that it has alps-like switches and ISNT a numpad!

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:38:51 »
I love calculators. I want one as well. But which color...

Did you buy it from the link in the first post?

My only wish would be RPN but no biggie.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline watduzhkstand4

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:44:12 »
don't forget to add it to your sig!
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:00:16 »
Quote from: ripster;96744
Nothing special here but you get bonus Retail Points if you know what the "MU" key stands for.

MU = Markup.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:09:23 »
Quote from: ripster;96778
KACHING! I had to look that one up on Wikipedia.

I didn't.

Full disclosure: I work in retail (Grocery).

Offline IBI

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:25:27 »
Quote from: itlnstln;96774
MU = Markup.

I was hoping it was refering to the coefficient of friction and giving you a handy way to tell how your Alps switches were getting stiffer over their lifetimes.

How do you find the long travel on the switches when using it as a calculator? It must be two or three times as long as a normal calculator and keyboard switches were designed to be used with the thumbs.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:38:03 »
Quote from: lowpoly;96760

Did you buy it from the link in the first post?

holy crap, $100!  good thing your son paid for it ;)
it sure is sweet though.

where is the enter key? i guess you hit 'send' instead?

you're right its cooler as a standalone calc actually. we've seen clicky numpads before but i've never seen a clicky standalone calc before.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:42:19 »
All I pretty much use these days is Windows Calculator.  I really like the Power Toy version of the calculator as well.

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 14:04:02 »
Quote from: ripster;96804

I don't know why but I always thought Windows Calculator was poorly integrated with the keyboard.

For your autohotkey file: hit numlock to launch calculator, do your business, then hit numlock to close calculator.  Modify the below at will.

Code: [Select]

;put this line up top in the autorun section of the autohotkey file:
setnumlockstate, on  ;sets your numpad on when you boot up if you want, you can also do this in BIOS usually.

;====================================

;Down below put this:

numlock::
settitlematchmode, 3 ;exact match of window title required
ifwinexist, Calculator
{
winclose, Calculator
if !(was_up)
send {numlock}
}
else
{
run, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\calc.exe"
winwait, Calculator
winactivate
GetKeyState, state, NumLock, T ;  D if numlock is ON or U otherwise.
if state = U ;numlock was off
{
send {numlock}
was_up := 0
}
else was_up := 1
}
settitlematchmode, 1 ;return to default match mode
return

;send backspace with numlock key and subtract key
numlock & numpadsub::sendinput, {backspace}

;send esc with numlock key and zero:
numlock & numpad0::sendinput, {esc}

;send true numlock with left win and numlock
lwin & numlock::send {numlock}

;====================================
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 14:11:55 by wellington1869 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 14:16:55 »
Quote from: wellington1869;96639
lprobably; i'm pretty sure its the only one thats still manufactured.

What about the Black ones used in the ABS M1?

Offline Rajagra

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 14:20:24 »
What does it give as the result of 1+2*3 ?
This is the first thing I try on any calculator, and if it says 9 I refuse to use it on principle.

Windows calculator fails of course!

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 14:21:42 »
Quote from: ch_123;96824
What about the Black ones used in the ABS M1?

Same manufacturer, different model.  In other words, there are no other manufacturers other than "XM" making Alps (compatible) switches.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 14:39:26 »
Oh right. I thought XM refered to the white switch in particular. That would explain it...

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:45:02 »
The japanese site (in english):

http://www.idea-in.com/en/idc_6.html

There's also a beige version.

Offline wellington1869

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:52:24 »
Quote from: lowpoly;96883
The japanese site (in english):

http://www.idea-in.com/en/idc_6.html

There's also a beige version.

while there i'd also pick up the caocao clock
http://www.idea-in.com/takumi/caocao/

and the 'cube timer' :)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 02:28:22 »
Quote from: ripster;96907
The calculator will randomly CRASH in the middle of your calculations.

Sold, on principle. That's awesome.

Tangental stray thought: I used to get "Why do you do your live recordings on a minidisc instead of a laptop?" and answer "Minidisc recorders never crash." Then of course, in the middle of an all-day outdoor summer event, my MZ-R3 overheated (do not operate in direct sunlight)and crashed and rebooted in the middle of a set.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 02:34:08 »
Quote from: Rajagra;96825
What does it give as the result of 1+2*3 ?
This is the first thing I try on any calculator, and if it says 9 I refuse to use it on principle.

That is funny. My Mac Calculator says 7, the calc on my WinMo 6.5 phone says 9. I love it.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 08:29:28 »
Quote from: Rajagra;96825

Not here (Win2k calc, says 7). Writing a calculator seems to be a popular exercise for stacks in C lectures, so it should be pretty common knowledge among programmers how to do it correctly.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 08:50:41 »
Vista says 9.

However, this shouldn't be a problem if you know your calculator and some rules. If you enter 1+2*3 into an RPN calculator you keep track of entries and operators as well:

enter
+
result: 9

But you know you have to type it for ex. like this:

enter
enter
+
result: 7

or to save a keypress:

enter
+
result: 7
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2009, 08:56:15 by lowpoly »

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 09:45:25 »
I love RPN.  I had an HP 48GX (I think) graphing caluclator in high school and college.  It was the greatest.  RPN is so much easier to do long calculations on.  I wish I hadn't left the batteries in it for so long.  They exploded in the calculator.

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:20:07 »
My wife just lost her old Casio divers watch because of that.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:22:12 »
Quote from: ripster;97033
Ouch. I better go look through my "vintage electronics" collection. Hope I haven't lost anything.

I was really disappointed.  I never even thought about taking the batteries out.  I love that calculator.  You could type in whole equations, and it would solve them for you.  It was fantastic.  I was right about the model number I had the 48GX:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-48

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:26:26 »
I just checked out HP's site.  They still make the 48 series calculator (with updated looks), and now they have a 50 series.  I wish I was still in school, so I would have a reason to get another one.  I do like the Power Toy calculator for Windows.  It's RPN, too.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:44:00 »
Quote from: itlnstln;97022
I wish I hadn't left the batteries in it for so long.  They exploded in the calculator.

AAA cells may leak (heavy duty / carbon zinc stuff is quite prone to this, but alkalines also do when empty) - but outright explode? No way. That's limited to lithium based rechargeables, and even then mostly when overcharging (which is why overchanging protection is mandatory in either the battery pack or the device itself).

And yes, it tends to be a good idea to check low-duty batteries for leakage once in a while. One of the worse cases I read about was a receiver which had its memory backup battery compartment right next to the FM frontend. The batteries leaked badly and the stuff ate away part of the PCB traces in the frontend, thereby trashing it...

Leakage is not at all an uncommon sight among battery-operated gadgets. Back in the olden days when radios took D size carbon zinc cells, many a designer put some extra thought into how to prevent leakage from damaging the contacts and other components... (That is one reason why battery compartments tended to be at the very bottom, center of gravity aside.)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:57:31 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;97057
AAA cells may leak (heavy duty / carbon zinc stuff is quite prone to this, but alkalines also do when empty) - but outright explode?

Not literally; they leaked.  I was trying to be dramatic.

Offline Rajagra

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 11:09:18 »
I had an ancient Casio calculator with a fluorescent display, I'd hoped to keep it forever, the bluey-green display was beautiful compared to a crappy LCD. But when I tried it recently it wouldn't power up, so I had to bin it. :Cry: :rip:

Here's the one: http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/casio_al-8___family_models.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2009, 11:14:08 by Rajagra »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 15:56:23 »
Quote from: Rajagra;97069
But when I tried it recently it wouldn't power up, so I had to bin it. :Cry: :rip:
You folks give up way too soon. If it just sat unused for years, no batteries in, chances are all it would have needed was some new electrolytics. (There isn't much else to go bad all by itself really, provided things are stored in a normal environment. The internal pics on the linked page clearly show 5 pieces.) OK, the repair might still have become fussy, but... Next time better consult a repair wizard.

I can never throw away something I'm attached to. Collector's Disease, I guess.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2009, 16:12:01 by keyb_gr »

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 05:39:30 »
Got mine today and like it, especially the glossy appearance. Only complaints would be the rather basic calculator and the missing enter key but what can you do with that number of keys.

And in case you wondered, 1+2*3 gives 9.

If you're in Germany, these guys have it on sale (red only):

http://www.design-3000.de/design+schnaeppchen/25+prozent+nachlass/taschenrechner+10+key+rot.html?listtype=search&searchparam=taschenrechner

Thanks ripster, for the good review.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2009, 06:38:23 by lowpoly »

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 08:05:06 »
Quote from: lowpoly;97578
And in case you wondered, 1+2*3 gives 9.

I think my dear Aunt Sally just got excused.

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 08:25:35 »
LOL, on this calc I meant. :smile:

Offline lowpoly

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 13:55:31 »
I thought I had tried it in Excel and got an equal sign inside a cell. Can't try it again before monday.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 14:41:39 »
Quote from: ripster;97683
Rarely does ART meet FUNCTION.

Usually, it just ends up as FART.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 00:22:05 »
Hey I ... never mind.

Offline DrunkenDonut

Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 08:51:52 »
Since others are posting vintage calculators, here's a "toy" that I used to play with before I knew what purpose it actually served. I just loved the numbers and tactility of the keys. They click a little, like a muted mouse click, not like mush. :)

The calculator in all its glory. The instruction booklet is actually less instruction and more calculation samples. It's hard to see, but you can just make out shadows in the keys. The symbols are engraved or molded into the keys and filled with either white or black colour. Yes, that's an AC adaptor plugged into it. You've heard of keyboards pulling 100-300mA .. Well, the plate on the back of this claims 300mA from a 9V battery (or adapter). :)

The display has seen better days. It still works but the calculator itself doesn't seem to be functioning properly. I recall it being more uniform too.

Dual red lines. Yummy. I love these displays.

The fewer numbers that are being displayed, the brighter the display.
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 16:21:50 »
Good, now I know my typewriter thing is OK. I'm not the only one into something weirder than keyboards.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 17:34:41 »
300 mA from a 9 V block? Oh dear. (9 V blocks are typically made up from AAAA cells. Yes, 4 As. You can guess what kind of current those can handle.) Good to have the AC adapter. ;)

Looks like it's got its share of weak electrolytics and possibly contact problems though.

All I can offer in terms of vintage calculators is a late-'80s Sharp with some digit problems... possibly an issue with conductive rubber as noted for the Gameboys (whose displays can apparently be revived with a good bit of contact cleaner). We used to have a yet older one from the early '80s or so, no idea whether it's still there.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 17:38:36 »
Quote from: itlnstln;97043
I just checked out HP's site.  They still make the 48 series calculator (with updated looks), and now they have a 50 series.  I wish I was still in school, so I would have a reason to get another one.  I do like the Power Toy calculator for Windows.  It's RPN, too.

HP hadn't made anything really worthy in the calculator department since the 48gx.  They created a 48Gii, and the 49 series, and even the 50g, but they're all weird, unreliable, cheap plastic toys.  They came close to "reimagining" their vintage products with the HP 35s, but it's still a cheap imposter compared to the models it was intended to succeed.

Seeing how calculators have gone from serious scientific/engineering tools to cheap commodity devices in the past twenty years, it's hard to debate the business logic with them, but still, as a calculator aficionado (my favorites:  the HP 15c and 16c) it does bring a wistful tear to my eye.

Sigh.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 17:44:36 »
Are we all becoming our parents? "Ya know sonny, things just ain't made today like they was when I was yer age" soon will whistle through our toothless grins ...

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Keyboard Calculator
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 23:34:04 »
Quote from: xsphat;98228
Are we all becoming our parents? "Ya know sonny, things just ain't made today like they was when I was yer age" soon will whistle through our toothless grins ...

But ... in our case it's true!

EDIT:  I'm trying to be sarcastic, in case that's not obvious.  I reckon that's why people insert smiley-faces and stuff.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2009, 16:39:20 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)