Author Topic: IBM Model M on Gdgt.com  (Read 2440 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 19:48:56 »
I felt morally obliged to chime in about the Model F =P

Offline Mercen_505

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 09:46:23 »
I laughed particularly hard at this post:

I can't help but feel a bit like the people who talk about how much they love this keyboard are a lot like the people who say that they prefer the sound of vinyl to the sound of CDs, or that no band will ever be as great as the Beatles.

It's not that the typing experience on this thing isn't great, because it is, and these are certainly built like tanks. It's just that there are plenty of other keyboards around today that are fantastic, and offer modern-day niceties like 'Win' and multimedia keys.

Some people get a little too taken by the nostalgia around these keyboards. I also have the impression that if you were to put this keyboard down in front of someone under the age of 20, they'd probably laugh at you as though you'd just replaced their iPod with an 8-track. If you'd spent your whole like typing on rubber membranes, I really don't think you'd have any interest in something this bulky and loud enough to wake up the neighbors.

Some people just have a different idea of what a keyboard should be.

There's always the goofy retard that professes to love the superfluous cruft that is constantly being tacked on to the "modern computing experience". The vinyl versus CD analogy is wholly inappropriate for the situation and clearly illustrates his failure to grasp the reasons why someone would use a mechanical keyboard versus a disposable $5 China Special.

Offline itlnstln

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 10:21:23 »
Personally, I would like some volume controls and such, but the typing feel of a mechanical keyboard is much more important.  I think it just depends on what a particular user is looking for.  Gamers might not really care a ton for key feel since they might just be mashing the keys, anyway.  OTOH, someone who types more will probably consider key feel to be more important.

The person quoted by Mercen tried to argue a blanket statement with another.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 11:12:00 »
Nobody has taken the bait for the Model F yet. Damn.

I laughed particularly hard at this post:

Me too. I particularly agree with your choice of the word 'retard'... Also

The thing weighed 20 pounds

Why does any mainstream assesment of the Model M appear as if the author is thinking of an unholy spawn of the M, the F, the 3278 keyboard, and the Selectric II...
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2009, 11:15:43 by ch_123 »

Offline Rajagra

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 11:30:55 »
Quote from: ch_123;105052
Why does any mainstream assesment of the Model M appear as if the author is thinking of an unholy spawn of the M, the F, the 3278 keyboard, and the Selectric II...

You've seen my latest purchases from the sound of it...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 11:35:37 »
Reminds me of this rather impressive beast that I got to play around with (albeit while it was off)

An IBM 029 card punch machine. That isn't the actual once I used, just the best pic I could find. The one I used had two signs on it - one informing users that when using it for the college's DECSystem-20, they should use the pound sign to the get the dollar sign. The other read - "High priority card punch - MAX of 5 mins per user"

Before anyone asks... the keyboard was short travel and linear. Not all that pleasant to use :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2009, 11:39:22 by ch_123 »

Offline justin

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 13:54:43 »
Quote from: ripster;105010
Plenty of 17 year olds around here using Model Ms.  My 14 year old son loves his Unicomp Spacesaver and he's tried all my other keyboards.  And no, he doesn't own any vinyl or 8-tracks.

Well, I may not be super young (23) but I grew up on crappy rubber mush boards, and recognized the value of the Model M enough to buy 2. The first one was purchased mainly based on information from geekhack, so there!

Not only that, but I'd really like to get a HHKB P2 & a Filco Majestouch Otaku with Blue Cherries to try out as well…

Offline erricrice

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 15:14:40 »
Quote from: ripster;105010
Plenty of 17 year olds around here using Model Ms.  My 14 year old son loves his Unicomp Spacesaver and he's tried all my other keyboards.  And no, he doesn't own any vinyl or 8-tracks.

Well, lets see.  I'm 19 and can't stand rubber mush.  I've been using my DAS for about 6 months.  Before that I had an AT101w and before that I was always looking for a better keyboard.  Safe to say that I've been looking for a mechanical keyboard since I was 17!!!  Lol, people just don't know what quality is and they can only point out that it's old.  Not that it matters because the Ms quite obviously survive all kinds of abuse considering many of them are from the 80s.  Ahh, ignorance.
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline Shawn Stanford

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 15:17:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;105055
Reminds me of this rather impressive beast that I got to play around with (albeit while it was off)

Show Image

Been there, done that...

I had to buy a second Model M for my 23 year-old son who, after my return from deployment, informed me that I couldn't have mine back...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline itlnstln

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 15:36:22 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;112126
Been there, done that...

I had to buy a second Model M for my 23 year-old son who, after my return from deployment, informed me that I couldn't have mine back...

Sounds like you have some family issues you need to handle. ;)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 16:14:25 »
Just looking on another Model M thread on that site (it's the 'oldest Model M' thread for which there is a link on the top of the page that is linked to in Ripster's post)

They truly are the greatest keyboards of all time. They should have a perfect 10/10. Anyone reviewing them otherwise probably shouldn't be writing reviews. Long live the Model M — they rock!

If only I had been there around the time it was posted, I could have assumed the identity of a rabid Topre fanboy...

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:55:47 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;105005
The vinyl versus CD analogy is wholly inappropriate for the situation

Well, if one is comparing vinyl on an ordinary record player to a CD, yes. But possibly not if the vinyl is being played on a Linn or a Sondek, and listened to, say, on Magneplanar loudspeakers, driven through an all-vacuum-tube amplification chain. It is possible that this might bring out the attributes which vinyl has that the CD lacks - although modern CD players have improved from the early models, even the high-end aficionados admit.

Offline itlnstln

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 07:44:59 »
Quote from: quadibloc;118569
Well, if one is comparing vinyl on an ordinary record player to a CD, yes. But possibly not if the vinyl is being played on a Linn or a Sondek, and listened to, say, on Magneplanar loudspeakers, driven through an all-vacuum-tube amplification chain. It is possible that this might bring out the attributes which vinyl has that the CD lacks - although modern CD players have improved from the early models, even the high-end aficionados admit.

It's too bad studios crush the dynamic range to make music seem "louder" overall.  There was an article on Audioholics.com about how the Metallica songs on Rock Band sounded better than the pressed CD since RB "remastered" the recordings used in the game with full dynamic range.  It's a shame, really.

Vaccuum tube amps, for the most part, are non-neutral, they're nice, to be sure, but they impart a "warmth" to the sound that is not in the recording that many find pleasant, but not a 100% accurate reproduction.  Not to say many other types of amps are better, but vaccuum tubes aren't the end all, be all, IMO.  Then again, I also don't buy into all that "esoteric," "snake oil" audio stuff anyway.  I would kill for some Maggies, though.

Offline Shawn Stanford

IBM Model M on Gdgt.com
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 08:56:49 »
There are too many variables and trade-offs during the performance, recording, mixing, storage and playback of audio for there to ever be anything like 'perfection'. If it sounds good to you, drive on. Getting as in-depth as some folks do is just giving in to your OCD.
The Brat Prince of COBOL