Author Topic: New Das (Metadot) Mascot - the DAS  (Read 5627 times)

Offline itlnstln

New Das (Metadot) Mascot - the DAS
« on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 12:42:59 »
OK.  You are trying to market a serious keyboard for serious typists, but you have this comical, juvenile mascot?  Do Monett trumpets, BMWs, and Denon receivers have mascots?  If you are marketing your "professional,""high-end," and "elite" products in a similar fashion, mascots seem counter-productive.  When I think of mascot advertising, I think children's products, and in the case of computing, gaming hardware from third-rate companies.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 14:00:29 »
That's pretty much what I thought.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 14:55:08 »
Quote from: itlnstln;104721
OK.  You are trying to market a serious keyboard for serious typists, but you have this comical, juvenile mascot?  Do Monett trumpets, BMWs, and Denon receivers have mascots?  If you are marketing your "professional,""high-end," and "elite" products in a similar fashion, mascots seem counter-productive.  When I think of mascot advertising, I think children's products, and in the case of computing, gaming hardware from third-rate companies.

Honestly though, I totally agree. This mascot looks pretty lame. Then again this is Metadot we are talking about.

Combining this with the DAS4 rumor I guess we could start a hype about the DAS4 now...whooooooo!!!!1!!11!!!!!! ...sorry I forgot DAS is not popular at all around here.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 15:01:24 »
Quote from: sixty;104783
Show Image

Honestly though, I totally agree. This mascot looks pretty lame. Then again this is Metadot we are talking about.

Combining this with the DAS4 rumor I guess we could start a hype about the DAS4 now...whooooooo!!!!1!!11!!!!!! ...sorry I forgot DAS is not popular at all around here.

It's a shame, too, because I really like a lot of things about their keyboard.  I like the styling and, particularly, the USB hub.  Now, if they could just get the 'board to work in general, they'd have a hit.

Offline huha

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 15:29:59 »
It does look a bit like the cartesian product of Ninja Turtles and Master Chief.

Of course, this is entirely stupid. You don't need a mascot for your keyboard. Try opting for better quality and nicer features instead. Nice try, though.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline sixty

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 16:24:34 »
Breaking news just in!

It has been reported that Majestouch was successful with his mission in Asia to convince the Vendors that American marketing is the best to sell high quality products.

I have just received these new business cards from my contacts and they have confirmed that the corporate identity and website will be updated soon as well to increase their foreign sales.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 17:01:41 »
Does the Das type slower than 60wpm? I sure hope so

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 17:10:03 »
Quote from: sixty;104804
Show Image

Seems DAS ls not the only company that thinks cutesy toons are a good idea.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 18:40:52 »
Quote from: o2dazone;104817
Does the Das type slower than 60wpm? I sure hope so

Wouldn't that really depend on the typist? Or are you referring to the Das Controller issues?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 21:39:43 »
Quote from: timw4mail;104843
referring to the Das Controller issues?

This

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 22:02:40 »
looks like a ninja turtle head on the old toonami guy's body mixed with rockman

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 22:13:03 »
Is this legit news with Majestouch? That says John Doe on it lol.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 00:06:51 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;104912
Is this legit news with Majestouch? That says John Doe on it lol.

John Doe is a huge name in Japan. It was all the rage 25 years ago, really it was. I'm telling the truth. For real it is.

Offline Yakbutter

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 04:54:39 »
On the new Das - I spoke to someone at Das who basically said their EU reseller was just being a bit 'independent' - the lack of stock was due to supply issues at the manufacturing facilities.

However, it may have been a super-secret coverup designed to throw us off the scent.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 08:50:50 »
Do we even care about a new Das? With Filcos going as low as $79 inside the US, Das looks more and more like a wounded M10. Unless they flat out copy the HHKB Pro2 there is no way I'll even bat an eye at Das 4.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 08:55:42 »
Quote from: xsphat;104991
Do we even care about a new Das? With Filcos going as low as $79 inside the US, Das looks more and more like a wounded M10. Unless they flat out copy the HHKB Pro2 there is no way I'll even bat an eye at Das 4.

QFT.  As elitekeyboards grows, they will certainly put the hurt on Das if he hasn't already.  Like XsPhat said, I can get a Filco for the same money or less, and it works flawlessly.  Unless Das comes strong with their next offering and either drops the price a bit or offer something completely unique (something more than a USB hub, for sure), they are going to have a hard time competing with elitekeyboards for a piece of the elite keyboard market.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 15:02:55 »
Quote from: xsphat;104991

I was about to post something similar, but didn't want to start a flame war with any Das fans. Honestly, if they don't rebound in amazing ways, I can't see why anyone on this forum would even be interested in a Das 4. They would have to do something ground-breaking to make my change my mind. Or maybe it'll go the way of movie directors. You're only known for your last release. Honestly, if a fairly priced Das comes out, with no transposition errors, that would be a good step in getting back into the swing of things. Until then, the only people buying Das's will be those who don't find Geekhack

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 15:07:10 »
Quote from: o2dazone;105111
I was about to post something similar, but didn't want to start a flame war with any Das fans. Honestly, if they don't rebound in amazing ways, I can't see why anyone on this forum would even be interested in a Das 4. They would have to do something ground-breaking to make my change my mind. Or maybe it'll go the way of movie directors. You're only known for your last release. Honestly, if a fairly priced Das comes out, with no transposition errors, that would be a good step in getting back into the swing of things. Until then, the only people buying Das's will be those who don't find Geekhack

Or the people who don't know how to find blank keycaps...as that's how I heard about it originally.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 15:24:18 »
Same here. Elitekeyboards is number 2 on Google for "blank keycaps" and Geekhack is number 3. But for 'blank keyboards' neither Elitekeyboards or Geekhack is on the first page. I can only assume someone does a bit of shopping around before dumping $130 on a keyboard, my guess is they will.

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 19:36:00 »
I had the Das on preorder ... When I got it, I ended up not using it much because I thought I sucked typing with it. Turns out it was as much of a problem as I was. I'm having a much nicer time with Filco blues..

I pretty much agree with itlnstln about high end products, etc. Mascots are fine for kids, open source projects, or toilet paper.
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 22:21:11 »
nice! why don't you shoot with your wide angle more often??

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 22:54:20 »
The problem is that the very name 'Das Keyboard' does not give you much room to go in the cute mascot department.

It sounds angry and brusque.

Of course, Filco sounds like a plumbing supply company, and Unicomp like a '70s mainframe shop.  So the entire industry sucks at branding.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline sixty

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 00:29:10 »
while on the topic of DAS.. any of you knew the DAS3 was sold with cherry brown instead of cherry blue in Japan?

True story! http://www.vshopu.com/item/208X-2803/index.html

Offline rdh

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 01:35:26 »
Quote from: ripster;105190
Filco sounds like a gas station.

I dunno.  It always sounded a lot like "Philco" to me:

at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline cmr

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 01:45:14 »
how about a typeface change

Offline huha

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 02:18:04 »
If you don’t think having the DAS to represent the whole (future) line of Das Keyboard products is the way to go, what would you suggest? We’re looking for something that will come to mean “Das Keyboard the brand, look, quality, and idea,” not just Das Keyboard the keyboard.

I'd suggest to not delve into this kind of crap. You don't need a "brand" to be successful--especially if there's substandard quality to boot.

We might end up with stupid marketing, though. It's only a matter of time when we're going to see Das Keyboard The Breakfast Cereal.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 04:12:06 »
If they think about it, what has DAS got that hits the eye? The answer is strikingly obvious: Black! The geeks that came up with the 'Darth Vader approved' line said it.

So rather than some souped-up run-of-the-mill anime-robo-thug they want someone really black of course. Ninja outfits are probably too overused these days, but a black cape and Zorro mask are mandatory. I'd also love to see a helm more than vaguely suggestive of Darth Vader's mask as well, but I guess it might be over the top...

How interesting if the mascot had a black helm that looked like a key cap upon inspection though? And vambraces/greaves like space bars...

'No cape!' - The Incredibles  :drum:
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2009, 04:21:45 by DreymaR »
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 07:16:03 »
Obviously, they are looking at expanding beyond keyboards. Although, it is my opinion that they get their keyboard business solid first before they do. If you can't get your bread and butter (and your namesake, for that matter) business right, you will fail at everything else since your reputation will already be in the sh*tter.

Quote from: cmr;105195
how about a typeface change

This would be an excellent start. It might work for Deck in the "extreme" gaming world, but if you are marketing a high-end keyboard for professional typists (programmers, writers, etc.), I would suggest that the sensibilities of that market are different, and they wouldn't have the appreciation of a "hardcore" typeface like gamers would. IMO, Costar hit the nail on the head with the typeface use on the Filco, ABS, Phaethon, et. al.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 09:59:32 »
I predict the next Das will low profile with clicky scissor switches, and will come in all  colors of the gay flag (like the bubble iMacs). They not going about this right anymore. If they are going for making a brand out of a product that already made a brand, then they are getting their wires crossed. What's next, "Das Mouse, the world's only mouse with labeled right and left click buttons."

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 10:04:41 »
Quote from: xsphat;105221
What's next, "Das Mouse, the world's only mouse with labeled right and left click buttons."

I hope the labels don't get transposed.

Man we're harsh. They got a lot of stuff right. DAS IV could be awesome. The mascot business just doesn't inspire confidence. Unless they use that image of the tiny workmen fixing a key, at least that would show the right priorities.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 10:29:59 »
Quote from: Rajagra;105223
I hope the labels don't get transposed.

That's just wrong.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 11:59:41 »
I agree that the Das IV could be great — with a total case redesign, new controllers and, well, a ground-up rebuild. Now that's harsh.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 05:28:54 »
My prediction is that it will be the current case with a new controller.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 06:31:01 »
My prediction is this -

Complete with the crude red cross.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 07:27:34 »
Quote from: o2dazone;105111
I was about to post something similar, but didn't want to start a flame war with any Das fans. Honestly, if they don't rebound in amazing ways, I can't see why anyone on this forum would even be interested in a Das 4. They would have to do something ground-breaking to make my change my mind. Or maybe it'll go the way of movie directors.

Like Uwe Boll?

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 09:42:10 »
Who will be Das Groupenführer, I wonder?

And shouldn't it be 'Die Group' instead, hehe? The humanity... Didn't we have too many Apple-type corporations before 'das' here?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 15:52:46 »
Quote from: DreymaR;105577
Who will be Das Groupenführer, I wonder?

Don't mention DAS War!

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 07:25:58 »
Haha, gogo tall British comedians!  :loco:

While on the topic of philosophers: Why don't DAS use the catchphrase 'DAS Ding an sich - DAS Ding für mich!'?! It'd actually make sense. A lot of sense. And be funny, and brainy, and whatnot.

Maybe they think that DAS is a kind of putty. What do I know.

Quote from: uncyclopedia
“Immanuel doesn't pun; he Kant.” ~ Oscar Wilde
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2009, 07:28:36 by DreymaR »

Offline Xuan

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 22:18:48 »
remembered Ulysses nono.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 22:36:12 »
Quote from: ripster;105668
They believe the DAS keyboard, like life, is without meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

XD lol
as putdowns go, that was outstanding

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 07:21:26 »
We’re looking for something that will come to mean “Das Keyboard the brand, look, quality, and idea,” not just Das Keyboard the keyboard.

A font that means the Das Keyboard's quality? Hmm... Comic Sans MS?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 12:18:47 »
Every forum on the internet is bound to post these photos at least once

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 12:57:17 »
If those are the results of fake tanning, I'll stick with cancer-causing, natural sunlight, thanks.

What DAS really needs is a theme tune. Take the Indiana Jones tune and replace Da da-da-da with Das das-das-das...
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2009, 13:01:34 by Rajagra »