Author Topic: New Japanese Topres  (Read 4397 times)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
New Japanese Topres
« on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 10:24:43 »
Apparently it has a USB inteefuiisu. (If I'm reading that katakana correctly)
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2009, 11:27:03 by timw4mail »
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Rajagra

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 10:33:52 »
Awww, no new HHKB. :-/

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 10:43:51 »
Well, HHKBs are made by PFU not Topre.

Offline MsKeyboard

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 11:11:50 »
HHKB Lite is made by PFU / Fujitsu, but the Pro model is manufactured by Topre.  The manufacturers have noticed the following that the HHKB Pro has, and you should keep an eye open for a least one contender to enter the market in near future.

What does everyone think of the color choice on the laser etched keys?  Topre seems to be staying the course in the area of aesthetics.

Later..........

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 11:18:47 »
The Black M4-1 had a similar colour on the non-alphanumeric keys.

I wonder if another company is able to copy the HHKB layout, or whether copright/patent issues are coming into play.

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 11:29:10 »
I like the subtle tone on the laser-etched keys.  It's easy to read but not in your face.

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 11:39:47 »
Brown?  I would consider it more of a "spicy mustard."

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 11:59:39 »
Mmm... exactly.

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 12:01:10 »
This is my favorite mustard.  It'll kick your ass:

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 12:16:21 »
I see some 5 1/4" minifloppies.  Nice walnut PC he has there, too.

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 12:44:38 »
You'd figure the guy in the ad would have some kind of desk reference for programming, but all he has are fishing books.

Offline AndrewZorn

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 13:10:23 »
playing lego star wars, break to a keyboard forum, getting ready to discuss DIP switches... who/what have I become?

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 13:27:58 »
Quote from: ripster;130683
Check it.

This is the most interesting version.  All 30g with lasered keys.
Show Image

30g keyboards from Topre have been on sale since 2003. In particular the 106S which you can still buy. All this really marks is the first time they are offering it in black plus adding the windows keys. You can also get the Dharma Tactical which I think looks better and is also a 30g board as well.

Oh and lets not forget my NISSHO board that is also uniform 30g board.

What I find interesting is that for the first time they are going to sell 55g boards outside of Korea. In the past if you wanted a 55g board the only place to get one was Korea now it looks like we can get them from Japan as well.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:10:49 »
That small space bar would drive me nuts. Do they make them with the normal-length space bars?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:13:30 »
No, they're only in the Japanese layout.  That is, unless Elitekeyboards requests some in a US layout, but I don't know if he would be able to.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:17:50 »
Are we the only non-Japanese keyboard fanatics?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:20:10 »
No, KBMania represents the Korean crowd.

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:47:25 »
Quote from: ripster;130727
How does the 30g feel versus the others?

very light :) but not as bad as I expected. When I first heard of the 30g boards I thought that there would be no way I could use one. But I have to admit now that I've tried one they are actually pretty nice. I actually like the 30g board better than the short throw 55g board I have. I keep thinking that their has to be a way to lighten that short throw board because other than the key weight I really like it. Oh and if you thought those 35g pinky keys on the 87U where bad for miss typing or resting your hands on you would really hate the 30g board. You have to be very careful when resting your hands on it or instead of getting aaaaaaaaaa or ;;;;;;;;;;; you get slakdaslkjaskals;alskfa;lksaklsasklasf LOL
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 16:48:59 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;130747
That small space bar would drive me nuts. Do they make them with the normal-length space bars?

You generally dont use spaces when writing Japanese, thus why they dont need to use them that often, thus why the space bar is tiny on Japanese boards.

Offline msiegel

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 16:58:56 »
Quote from: webwit;130782

"Whoa"?
XD

it looks like a guy holding a huge sword...

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 21:11:53 »
Quote from: ripster;130771
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.  Seems 30g is really the practical limit for how low you can go.

Yea I think if you get much lower on a normal keyboard (not a DataHand) then just tapping the keyboard may make the keys activate. But the 30g are very light but usable.
Keyboards

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 21:31:50 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;130747

They are actually not all that bad. When I sit properly (proper sitting position) all it takes is a slight pulling in of my elbows and both of my thumbs hit the space bar right where the B is. When I don't sit with proper poster or spread my elbows out a little then my thumbs hit the space bar below V and N.

Take a look at the MOD on my NISSHO (link in my signature) I just spread out my elbows a little and that mod works out quite well. I remapped the language shift keys (kana keys) to space bar and the space bar I mapped to CTRL. Now it is very natural to hit the CTRL key even better than the caps lock location. I'm even thinking about get a 91U off of Yahoo Japan to see if I can make the same mod on a tenkeyless board. If that works out I may even try to pick up a Japanese HHKB Pro and try it on that as well.

Take one of your heaver used boards and find the shiny spots and you will note you don't use the the whole space bar. I find that removing that extra space you don't use anyways and putting keys in that space works out well. But the mod on that NISSHO is even better.
Keyboards

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 22:47:04 »
Forgot to add this keyboard that I just saw on Yahoo Japan that is another one with laser keys it is a OEM 91U. I'm very tempted to get it because their where only a couple 100 of them made. But I'm going to pass because I think I found a even rarer one that I will post about in another thread.

Keyboards

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 22:56:05 »
Quote from: ripster;130763
And there's a Taiwanese forum.

KBDMania does better modding work but we're funnier.  I think.  Anybody know any good Korean jokes?

My knowledge of Korea is limited to:

- Most of their paper money features people wearing comical hats.  I suppose in the 15th century they were less comical.  Until six months ago, their largest note was worth about eight American dollars.

- They make an awful lot of comics about vampires.

- Judging from the box, the Peppero people will be engaged in costly litigation with Matt Groening for a mascot which resembles Bongo.

- Nong Shim Onion Flavored Rings >>> Funyuns

- How come they could get their auto industry on track and competitive in 25 years, when America couldn't do it in 40?

I'm surprised nobody has tried to cheap-knockoff the Topre-- if not the embedded spring, then at least the "capacitive via rubber dome".
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline pcode

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 07:27:11 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;130690
HHKB Lite is made by PFU / Fujitsu, but the Pro model is manufactured by Topre.

The HHKB Lite 2 (at least the Mac version) is manufactured by Chicony because I did notice that it identifies itself as a Chicony when Linux boots and also in the System Profiler for Mac. It's in the office now so I can't determine the exact model number but its definitely a far cry from the Pro version which is just about a week old. :)

Offline didjamatic

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 16:05:45 »
Why the L enter key?

Are all Realforces going to this type of config or is this only for a limited run?  I hope for everyone's sake it's a limited run.  Though it's possible that when typing in Japanese, there could be benefits to this layout vs. what I call "The Model M" layout.  I can't stand this enter, back slash, small backspace key configuration personally.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2009, 16:17:40 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline AndrewZorn

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 16:20:07 »
japanese
to them, its normal
they dont even know how good we have it
just let them be happy

Offline didjamatic

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 16:21:56 »
As long as they still make the standard layout for export, it's all good to me.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline AndrewZorn

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 16:22:55 »
doubtful

New Japanese Topres

Offline Xuan

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 17:19:55 »
Quote from: msiegel;130788
"Whoa"?
XD

it looks like a guy holding a huge sword...

Or a ball over a chair :p (or you could think in a cubistic WC)

Offline PRISONER 24601

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 17:33:54 »
i like those gold-ish letters
looks classy
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:19:03 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;139189
japanese
to them, its normal
they dont even know how good we have it
just let them be happy

Can you please elaborate why L enter key is worse than -- enter key? I even find the L more attractive because when you do word processing, you want to access to the Enter key as fast as you can.
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:24:46 »
Which is why the US enter is better, it's on the home row and doesn't require you to reach over like the enter on a European keyboard requires you to do. That, and the pipe key is located in a place that doesn't require you to be a contortionist to access.

By the way, I was born and raised on the UK layout, so I actually know what I'm talking about as opposed to being like "OMG, that enter button looks weird!"
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:29:25 by ch_123 »

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:27:56 »
Yea I tend to agree with you. The enter key does not really bother me. Really the only complaint I have with the Japanese layout is the back space key on both the normal Japanese layout and the mini Japanese layout. On the mini layouts I don't like the right shift either.
Keyboards

Offline Rajagra

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:34:04 »
Quote from: joneslee85;139222
Can you please elaborate why L enter key is worse than -- enter key? I even find the L more attractive because when you do word processing, you want to access to the Enter key as fast as you can.

And the horizontal Enter key is closer to your finger. QED.

I really don't see the point of the L shaped Enter key. If it was a big rectangle you could argue: "Hey, look at that big-ass Enter key, that's really easy to hit." But it isn't rectangular, it's all over the place so you have to be careful when reaching for it, which defeats the point of dedicating all that space to it.

It defies logic.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:37:01 »
It's to make space for the extra key needed by those pesky Europeans with their funny languages... =P

Although, I often think that a much more useful compromise would be a US-style layout with the extra key between LShift and Z. Sure that's a stupid place to have a key, but at least you get the good enter...

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:44:33 »
Quote from: ch_123;139223
Which is why the US enter is better, it's on the home row and doesn't require you to reach over like the enter on a European keyboard requires you to do. That, and the pipe key is located in a place that doesn't require you to be a contortionist to access.

I will agree that the Japanese layout will make you stretch a little to hit the enter key. But I disagree with some of the other things.

First off the keyboard I'm actually talking about for reference:

1) The ] } key in the lower nook of the enter key is actually the \| key when you just plug the board in with out telling your OS that it is a Japanese keyboard. I use the | key quite a bit myself and I find this placement to be actually better than the normal US Location right above the enter key.

As I've stated before really the only thing that really bothers me with this board is the right shift key. But I mapped that key next the up arrow to be shift as well and that is somewhat working out better. But I would prefer to have a longer shift key in that location instead. I also miss the longer Back space but again I just mapped the unused key next to it to be another back space key and I'm good.
Keyboards

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:48:14 »
Small backspaces are nowhere near as big an issue as people might think. My Model F has one and I adapted to it fine.

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 18:53:04 »
Quote from: ch_123;139232
Small backspaces are nowhere near as big an issue as people might think. My Model F has one and I adapted to it fine.

Yea I agree the back space is not really a big deal. I just mentioned it because I had originally had issues with it. Today I don't have issues with it and I'm thinking of a better use for that extra key. But that darn shift key is another matter it really bugs me. I hit the darn up key more often than not but I'm slowly getting better not hitting it.
Keyboards

Offline Rajagra

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 02:26:24 »
Quote from: rdjack21;139229
First off the keyboard I'm actually talking about for reference:

Note the rectangular striking surface of the Enter key. That's fine by me. It's a viable alternative to the US layout.

The nice thing about the US format though, is that the \ key is enlarged, and there is no wasted space. Overall the US version is the more elegant solution, at least in that area.

Offline rlm80

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 12:02:58 »
Quote from: ripster;130700
Ugh.  Brown.
Show Image

I was more interested in the 30g angle.  A few people have wandered into Geekhack looking for something like this for RSI.

Count me among those people. I'm still very interested in buying one of those all 30g keyboards.

After reading this thread, it seems to me that this is not the only keyboard that have those 30g topre switches. Do you know of any others ? One with a larger spacebar would be appreciated...

Also, do you know how I should proceed to get one of those fetched here in Europe ?

Thank you.

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 12:17:49 »
I have an all 30g board and it is not all that bad to type on. But the one I have does have the small space bar (click the NISSHO link in my sig to see it). The small space bar is less of an issue then most people think. Besides you get 2 extra keys next to the space bar that can be used for other things. On my NISSHO though it has been modified to have an even smaller space bar and the original owner also modified the two keys on either side to be larger. So I have mapped the two larger keys on each side to be space and mapped the small middle key (original space) to be Ctrl which is rather nice. But for this to be effective you have to have a board with a very small space bar.

The space bar on the 91U is not all that bad. As far as getting one you may want to see if the Keyboard company can get you one it would be cheaper that way because they can just have diatec include one with there normal shipment. You would have to wait for it longer that way though. I'm thinking of asking EliteKeyboards to get me one but it will be after Christmas before I do.
Keyboards

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Japanese Topres
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 13:47:00 »
Are the Topre boards constructed in such a way that you can convert them from one layout to another if you have the proper keycaps?

Offline rdjack21

New Japanese Topres
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 14:36:18 »
Quote from: ch_123;139465
Are the Topre boards constructed in such a way that you can convert them from one layout to another if you have the proper keycaps?

Just like all/Most keyboards nope. The problem is the bigger keys not so much the small keys. In particular the Enter key. On the Japanese boards they moved the keyslider up and rotated it 90 degrees and there is only one switch. You would need two switches under the key to be able to switch the layout. Oh the keyslider is sitting right in the middle of the two middle rows as well if it was in line with one of the rows then you could maybe use one of the extra keys for the extra switch needed.

I really wanted to put a larger shift key on my MD01B0 but on the up arrow the key slider has been rotated 90 so it would fit. So for me to get a larger shift key in there I would need to make my own key which is a little more than I can do at this point. But at some point I'm thinking of trying to do that. But even molding a key would not fix the lack of an extra switch for the enter key conversion.
Keyboards