Author Topic: One Out Of 33 Keyboards Dirtier Than A Toilet Seat  (Read 2470 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
One Out Of 33 Keyboards Dirtier Than A Toilet Seat
« on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 11:44:19 »
People keep on using toilet seats as a comparison to things that are dirty/unhygienic. It has got to a stage that I'm convinced that it is one of the cleanest things to be found in the household. And indeed, there's no reason why it shouldn't be, assuming you know how to lift it up/piss straight...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 12:09:16 »
Dirtier than a toilet seat?  That's because you have a potty mouth.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 12:32:24 »
Good point.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 12:40:15 »
Bank ATM keyboards are the dirtiest thing you'll touch in an average workweek, according to a thing I heard on NPR last summer. The study found human feces on every ATM keyboard they tested (sample size forgotten). Also present were dog and cat follicles, as well as sputim and food.

The study suggested toilet seats are cleaner than most office keyboards because people tend to use the paper seat covers, while keyboards are used during and after meals without handwashing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2009, 12:42:31 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 12:49:14 »
It's a good thing I don't ATMs very often.  Mythbusters found that human fecal coliforms grew in toothbrushes no matter where they were placed in the house.  That said, I am not suprised about the results.  I clean my 'boards regularly with Lysol wipes.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 15:11:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;139810
Mythbusters found that human fecal coliforms grew in toothbrushes no matter where they were placed in the house.

Was just thinking about that Mythbusters this morning, brushing my teeth. I was thoroughly grossed by that episode/finding.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 15:20:16 »
Quote from: ricercar;139857
Was just thinking about that Mythbusters this morning, brushing my teeth. I was thoroughly grossed by that episode/finding.

Whatever, I'm still alive and healthy.  That is, unless that whole "eat **** and die" thing is true.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 15:32:19 »
I figure that as long as it's dirt that came from me, I'm fairly safe. But it's another reason to hate hotdesking at work.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 15:59:12 »
Is that your bathroom or a random Internet pic?
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 16:15:11 »
It's the new iPood.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 17:22:10 »
Seinfeld is a good show.  They are suppose to be making 5 new episodes to be aired on HBO I think.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline chimera15

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 19:25:15 »
They proved on Mythbusters that the toilet seat was pretty much the cleanest thing in the bathroom, and possibly even house.  Poo is everywhere!
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 19:53:17 »
I remember that episode.  That is the most obscure thing you could think of that cleaner than your computer keyboard.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 20:40:03 »
Quote from: itlnstln;139810
Mythbusters found that human fecal coliforms grew in toothbrushes no matter where they were placed in the house.

That's because when you're asleep the bad toothbrush fairy comes around and performs colon cleanings with your toothbrush.

Regardless of what's dirtier or not, I'll still take my chances of eating off of someone's keyboard or even an ATM screen than off of a public toilet seat. I'd gamble that despite all the other nasty bugs you might ingest, your chances of picking up an active Hepatitis-A and other viruses are lower.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline chimera15

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 00:03:55 »
They proved again on tonight's mythbusters that the keyboard is dirtier than the toiletseat, as well as most other things in the house. lol  They also weighted the results based on the nastiness of type of bacteria and stuff they found.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 00:58:33 »
This is the main reason I don't like returns. Can't resell soiled keyboards without near impossible disinfection given all the deep recesses.

Well, I technically could resell them, appearances are deceiving, but I'm a clean freak, so it would keep me up at night imagining someone would expose me for the staph infection they just got from their new FILCO...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 01:35:59 »
Quote from: majestouch;143161
Can't resell soiled keyboards ... it would keep me up at night

This is why we love you. Lots.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 07:44:19 »
I clean mine with Lysol wipes frequently. In fact, I am going to do that very thing right now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 09:26:09 by itlnstln »