Author Topic: Mint Looking IBM Model F AT  (Read 3552 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

Mint Looking IBM Model F AT
« on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 13:52:04 »
thanks, ill try to get this one, being denied the last good one for sale.

EDIT and yeah, he does have a lot of other nice stuff.  somehow he manages to ship it all well, for a reasonable rate, without fine-print surcharges, too...
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2009, 13:59:13 by AndrewZorn »

Offline ocdonkb

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 14:05:01 »
And I'm wondering if he's got a secret army of keyboard-cleaning monkeys. All his stuff looks very nice and clean, but my mind tells me they're used, yet my eyes says they're minty fresh!
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 14:25:55 »
A few of the keys in the pictures look slightly dirty, so I'd say this is not NIB. Still, that's a decent cleaning job and it looks like it could be new at a glance, which is good enough for most people.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2009, 14:27:09 by Mercen_505 »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 14:38:18 »
he didnt claim they were new
just good condition

Offline J888www

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 16:43:56 »
Maybe all the Sellers have caught onto the Retr0brite methodology. Old BobGate Repairs charges $30 just to whiten the KBD top.
 I'm still waiting for a sunny day, and in UK, seems I've a long wait.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 16:47:29 »
I was thinking that my F would be geekhack material. It's beyond cool, I included a video in the auction of the beast in action.

I'm trying to get my collection of stuff narrowed down for storage. This recession seems to have killed the market for Ebay keyboards unfortunately, but I'm breaking even so far. My $10 CH Trackball made a killing, which was nice.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 16:48:51 »
None of it is new, but it's all in really nice condition.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 16:50:42 »
Quote from: nowsharing;142329
I was thinking that my F would be geekhack material. It's beyond cool, I included a video in the auction of the beast in action.

I'm trying to get my collection of stuff narrowed down for storage. This recession seems to have killed the market for Ebay keyboards unfortunately, but I'm breaking even so far. My $10 CH Trackball made a killing, which was nice.

So you're willing to part with your 84-key Model F and keep all your Model Ms?

:)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:05:37 »
I approve of this most excellent propaganda video!

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:08:20 »
Quote from: nowsharing;142330
None of it is new, but it's all in really nice condition.

Some ebay sellers have managed to find touch up paint to cover the scuffs and scratches on the Model F cases.  Doing this plus removing and washing the keycaps and wiping the cable with Armor All makes them look almost new.

However, there is one thing that will distinguish truly new Model F's that have been sealed or at least stored in a controlled environement and that is the colour of the plastic handles that adjust the height of the front feet.  The plastic turns darker from gray to yellow over time.  The only 84-key I own which still has the original light gray handles  is the sealed NIB model I bought from Brandon.

From the pictures in the ad, this 84-key Model F looks to be in exceptional condition, including the colour of the handles!  It is hard to distinguish it from a genuine NIB model.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:12:10 »
So you're willing to part with your 84-key Model F and keep all your Model Ms?

:)

The F is incredible, but I'm a layout perfectionist (read my scathing review of the i-rocks 6230), and just won't ever really use it.

I'm going to keep 4 Ms: a Lexmark (Ripster is on to something about these, they're nice), a 1390131, a 1391401 with some black paint spattered on it, and a terminal terminal board for parts. I'll bring the Lexmark back to Brazil with me, because I love it and if the airline destroys it, I'm not really out anything. I have another space saver there too, so I'll be content.

Haha! $76 for the CH Trackball! That was a nice turnaround.
Yeah it was! I'm selling my other one now, because knowing it's worth so much makes me feel far less attached to it all of the sudden :)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:12:28 »
Quote from: maxlugar;142346
Some ebay sellers have managed to find touch up paint to cover the scuffs and scratches on the Model F cases.  Doing this plus removing and washing the keycaps and wiping the cable with Armor All makes them look almost new.

However, there is one thing that will distinguish truly new Model F's that have been sealed or at least stored in a controlled environement and that is the colour of the plastic handles that adjust the height of the front feet.  The plastic turns darker from gray to yellow over time.  The only 84-key I own which still has the original light gray handles  is the sealed NIB model I bought from Brandon.

From the pictures in the ad, this 84-key Model F looks to be in exceptional condition, including the colour of the handles!  It is hard to distinguish it from a genuine NIB model.

I got mine for ~$100, and it doesn't have discolored gray handles.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:13:45 »
Quote from: ripster;142335
Haha!  $76 for the CH Trackball!  That was a nice turnaround.

I know it's off topic, but without making me search through the threads, are there any worthy trackballs in current production, preferably with a USB interface?

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:16:43 »
Quote from: timw4mail;142352
I got mine for ~$100, and it doesn't have discolored gray handles.

Either the seller found a way to lighten the colour of the handles using OxyClean or you got a smokin' deal ! (probably the latter)

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:17:21 »
Some ebay sellers have managed to find touch up paint to cover the scuffs and scratches on the Model F cases. Doing this plus removing and washing the keycaps and wiping the cable with Armor All makes them look almost new.
I gave some of my boards a one over with a damp cloth and some oxyclean if needed, but would never let a drop of armor all touch them. Actually oxyclean gives them a pretty nice shine.

The F only required some cleaning up of the shell for pictures. I didn't touch the keys like I did on some of the others. They could use a good cue-tipping to finish the job, but that will be the new owner's project.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:19:40 »
Quote from: ripster;142357
Yeah, but still Max's and mine are better.  I sniff it every day to get high.

Did you buy the first NIB 84-key listed by Brandon (serial # 271060435)???

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:25:42 »
Quote from: ripster;142366
Yep, that's the one. I said I was waiting for a NIB Model F AT but nobody believed me.

That's because no one had ever heard of a NIB Model F. Not to mention it isn't NIB anymore.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:28:02 »
Quote from: ripster;142366
Yep, that's the one. I said I was waiting for a NIB Model F AT but nobody believed me.

Wow, I'm impressed.  You really were willing to shell out big coin for an 84-key Model F.  

Your keypunch machine analogy might not be that far off, but nothing else satisfies like the Model F!

Offline J888www

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 17:28:35 »
Quote from: nowsharing;142329

This recession seems to have killed the market for Ebay keyboards unfortunately, but I'm breaking even so far.

By limiting your Shipping destinations, you're segregating the Japanese contingent, your F might sell for a little more.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 18:15:22 »
how much was the NIB F?

also, makes me wonder if i should sell my DT225s.  i bought 2.  but to turn around and resell them... i dont know... some people on here wanted them pretty bad... but how could i KEEP $150 worth of trackball?  gonna have to give this some thought...

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 19:10:13 »
By limiting your Shipping destinations, you're segregating the Japanese contingent, your F might sell for a little more.
My NIB ended up going to Japan through a shipping agent, I was impressed.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 22:19:17 »
what I find really surprising is that the Japanese buy NIB boards off ebay and such but ignore the NIB boards on Yahoo Japan. Or I should say that they go for less money because fewer people bid on them. But then again some of them are way over priced.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 16:52:41 »
alright what the **** is going on
i bid the 70.59
it was just at 51 though
someone entered a crazy high bid, thus revealing mine
then RETRACTED bid
and it is still at my 70.59, instead of 51?

****ing fraud i am not paying for that **** couldnt have come at a worse ****ing time i am on battery will log back in hopefl\ull before the ****ing thing ends to sort this **** out

EDIT LOOKING AT HISTORY HE WENT 60 70 99('WRONG AMOUNT' MY ASS) FI\UCKING BID PADDING HOLY **** I AM BEING ****ING CONNED
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2009, 16:55:54 by AndrewZorn »

Offline JBert

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 17:16:47 »
Most of all, can you actually retract a bid?
I would get Ebay on this auction as soon as possible to show them there is something fishy going on.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 18:08:25 »
This is why I stick with BIN... Although bids do yield the occasional bargain, like a $150 HHKB :D

Either way AndrewZorn, complain to the buyer. If he doesn't let the price go down, report to eBay straight away. They are pretty good with that **** given all the records they have.

EDIT: I just remembered that NowSharing is the seller. This should make things a good bit easier to resolve.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2009, 18:13:07 by ch_123 »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 18:27:31 »
alright calmed down a bit but time is running out
quick google yields
Auction ends in less than 12 hours

Yes, but only if you retract the bid within one hour of placing it
so i cant retract
messaging seller now stating that i am only giving 51

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 18:48:05 »
also thanks for advice guys
like not editing post
typing on this laptop is HORRIBLE not because of the switches for once though
the right side has some squeezed keys and i keep missing everything
at least im able to use AHK again

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 18:59:04 »
You can get a Trackpoint L40 new in the box for about $15. But those haven't been made for almost two decades and are PS/2.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 19:00:38 »
ha!  ive never been glad about losing an auction before.  sniped for $96.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 19:02:43 »
Whoa! Calm down there! You aren't going to get anywhere just yelling at everyone!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline alipstadt

• http://www.lipstadt.com
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 22:16:58 »
Yeah, I got pretty lucky on that trackball, but I sniped $95 on the Model F and lost it... :ohwell:

Still need to grab one for nostalgia.

You know, I was ebaying plenty before finally signing up for this site, but damn...
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2009, 22:47:04 by alipstadt »
Adam

On the go:
HHKB Pro JP Black | TG3 KBA-BL82-5RBUVS | Apple Compact Aluminum (USB and BT) | G84-4100PTMUS | Filco Zero Fukka Tenkeyless (broken, for the moment)

At home:
IBM/Maxiswitch M13 Black + Nostromo n52 + Logitech diNovo Mini | G80-11903LPMUS/03 | Model F (AT) with Keypatch 10 | G80-8113HRBUS-2 | TG3 KBA-BLT-5RBIVS | Deck 82 Toxic | G84-4100PTMUS

Other Pieces:
FrogPad Bluetooth, (right hand) | Datahand DH200 | Chicony KB-5181 | AEKII | Power Computing/Macally MK 105X | Sun Type 6 USB | Sun Type 5c | Airlink/Dolch Luggable K6 with Blue Cherries

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
whoa!
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 23:06:45 »
alright what the **** is going on
i bid the 70.59
it was just at 51 though
someone entered a crazy high bid, thus revealing mine
then RETRACTED bid
and it is still at my 70.59, instead of 51?

****ing fraud i am not paying for that **** couldnt have come at a worse ****ing time i am on battery will log back in hopefl\ull before the ****ing thing ends to sort this **** out

EDIT LOOKING AT HISTORY HE WENT 60 70 99('WRONG AMOUNT' MY ASS) FI\UCKING BID PADDING HOLY **** I AM BEING ****ING CONNED

I canceled a bid placed by a bidder in Slovenia, because I don't ship there. I sent him a question through ebay and asked if he had an address in the US or Canada, and he proceeded to ask for an exception. I did this all through ebay messages, and I completely understand why you would think it's a sham, but it's not.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2009, 23:15:52 by nowsharing »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 23:19:37 »
Actually, I see that he tried bidding again for whatever reason and retracted it. This does seem like someone was manipulating my auction to find out the high bid... Why would he bid again if I had canceled his bid previously, informing him that I don't ship there.

edit: I suspect that my Japanese buyer manipulated the auction. He ordered a few keyboards from me and is using an agent to get them. I will not deal with a person like this if it is what happened.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2009, 23:22:04 by nowsharing »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 23:44:06 »
Ahem, if I may gently and politely direct your attention towards your ebay inbox...
I messaged you just before posting here.

It's possible the person in Slovenia has a genuine language barrier that prevented them understanding both the act and implications of the bid cancellation and your message. Perhaps they somehow interpreted it as "Yes, you may, but I had to change something and now you can bid again" then realized their mistake after?
I understand that someone was trying to see the high bids, but the problem is finding out who it was.

It's a long shot but certainly possible.
Out of curiosity what was the Slovenian's feedback score?
The Slovenian is Simonlukluk, 100% feedback but obviously a double account used by another bidder.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 10:55:03 »
i guess i just cant believe the policy on the whole thing, retracting a bid should be handled completely different than it is.

glad this didnt have an impact on your sale price ($95 vs $96+ at the end as already discussed) but it is pretty interesting

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 12:43:59 »
i guess i just cant believe the policy on the whole thing, retracting a bid should be handled completely different than it is.
This bid retraction thing has me pretty angry and there is nothing I can seem to do about it. I'm not mad about the money, because I had to sell these whether I get something or not (thus the $0.01 starting price). But I'm more of an ebay buyer than a seller and I can imagine how pissed I'd be if someone did this to me. I can't tell you how sorry I am for the situation to have come up, and if anyone has theories on who is doing this I would love to know. Any mystery fans on geekhack?

I'm delaying sending off my items to the Japanese buyer until I'm sure it wasn't him.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 12:49:30 »
again, im not crushed because at the last moment you had a $95 and a $96+ bid... i had nothing to do with it, i was going to lose anyway.