Author Topic: White Filco Keyboard Is White  (Read 7414 times)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
White Filco Keyboard Is White
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 15:31:03 »
Want Cheetos.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline platon

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 17:10:32 »
I'll order mine the moment it comes out with lettered keycaps :P

This board reminds me of white chocolate!
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline bigpook

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 17:50:55 »
Quote from: platon;165233
I'll order mine the moment it comes out with lettered keycaps :P

This board reminds me of white chocolate!

ditto. it looks pretty sweet and brown cherries with lettered key caps...must...control...urge...to...buy...another...keyboard...: )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline chuckading

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 18:14:09 »
Sorry, but I'm going to make a quick short review as this is my first Filco and first Cherry kb.

Construction
My first impression was, "damn, everyone was right, it's heavier than it looks".  The board feels very sturdy, doesn't move on the desk and doesn't flex much at all.

Cherry Blue MX Switches
Before now, I had only seen youtube videos and listened to a few clips, but the blue cherries are louder than I imagined.  The force required for a keystroke seems greater than I'm used to (HHKB) and I'm sure I'll adjust to it in a week. I briefly compared my skills on the HHKB and my untrained skills on the Filco. I feel much faster on the HHKB, but I'm sure some of the difference is because I'm not familiar with the Filco yet.

Keycaps
I was interested in the new Otaku version being re-released and was on the fence, but as soon as I read in the email about a white version, I pounced.
The keycaps feel smoother/slicker than I was expecting.  Yes, the spacebar will go shiny soon, but hopefully the white/cream keycaps disguises the wear.  I think these are the perfect shade of off-white and I imagine this board will look good for a long time.  Luckily, I keep my computer in a darker room and I'm not much of a Cheetos fan.  I would prefer that the function keys be a darker shade, but mainly I wanted white keys for cosmetic reasons.  I briefly compared the HHKB and the Filco to a white sheet of paper to find the Filco is a creamier white than that of the HHKB.

LEDs
I haven't seen any other Filcos to compare to, but they look fine to me and I still have my retinas.

Red Esc Key / WASD Keys
ehh, I have a topre red esc key that kinda set the standard, so....I probably won't use the Filco one, I'll just keep it in the box.  Also... the red esc key on any board is not my style.  The WASD keys were ok, but again, I'm not putting them on, just wanted to have them for bragging rights.

Overall
I'm thrilled with this keyboard and would definitely purchase another Filco board when the time/need comes.  Will it replace my HHKB? Probably not, They are two different boards.  The HHKB feels more natural, is a thousand times cooler looking and plays well with OSX.  Honestly though, after seeing what I can get for 121 dollars, the HHKB is looking a little overpriced.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:39:26 by chuckading »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 18:18:35 »
Yeah, not even the most hard-core Topre fan is going to be able to justify the price of those things. I had a Filco, then I got a HHKB. Once I got used to the HHKB, I couldn't go back... I had liked the blues because they were so light, but when compared with the Topres they were heavier, and were more frictiony.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 01:24:34 »
I just got one of these today.
It's my second mechanical keyboard and first with brown switches (my other is a fullsize filco with blue switches).

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction regarding cleaning the switch.
A couple of the keys on mine are slow to rise and when I popped the keycap off to have a look, there appears to be some sort of glue or waxy substance on and around the stem.
Keys in question are Page Up key and the 'P' key.
Another minor issue with it that I'm not sure I can fix is that the number 9 key, if not pressed pretty much square on, will vibrate as it rises - as if it's getting snagged on something on the way back up. Any suggestions?

Edit for pictures:
As you can see, in the first pic, the left key (P) is really messy and in the second picture, the Page Up key is the yucky one. I definitely did not spill anything on/near it before I tested all the keys.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 02:48:08 by 002 »

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 07:42:10 »
Maybe a qtip dipped in some deionized water will do the trick.

Quote from: ripster;163261
IBM and Topre use PBT. The IBMs are more sandpapery than the Cherry's but that's just the texture.

My Topre spacebar is getting shiny. I'm not kidding.
Show Image

A Zen attitude is best under these circumstances.

My whole keyboard's shiny after use.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 07:44:55 by flaming_june »

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 08:06:48 »
Quote from: 002;166077
Any suggestions?

You'll have to desolder and open the switches in order to wash stems and housings.
Where did you get that board from?
Typing on blues.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 08:30:24 »
WOW, 2 colors of Browns in the same board and free grease to boot!

I actually got a Realforce 87u that had grease on the control key stem, I think KB manufacturers that do quality control test them and might put some grease to any noisy keys.  It looked like white lithium grease on mine.

For the snagging 9 key, I had that issue on a Cherry Blue Filco where a key wouldn't come up completely.  Elite had me press it about 50 times and it fixed itself.  Sometimes there is a small molding artifact in the switch that will wear down after some key presses.   I've reassembled switches before that acted weird and a few key presses can reseat internal components and you're in business.

I'd give the keys in question 100 key presses and see what it does and be sure to contact whoever you bought it from because this is not acceptable quality for this level of keyboard.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 21:55:16 »
Thanks for the replies, people.
I ordered this keyboard through EliteKeyboards.

Because I live in Australia, the postage is so ridiculously high that it's not even worth me sending it back to EK.

I managed to somewhat resolve my issue with some very patient cleaning with a paper-clip and a pair of fine-tipped tweezers holding tiny fragments of paper towel.

The 9 key seems to be working fine now too and I think it might be because of repeated presses. I also added a very small amount of Shin Etsu lubricant and that seems to be working well.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 03:01:57 »
You got it from Elitekeyboards in that condition? Ouch.
No matter if you keep it or not, you should talk to Brian @Elitekeyboards in case he misses this thread. That's probably something he'd like to dicuss with Diatec/Filco.
Typing on blues.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 04:05:00 »
Thanks for the suggestion. I have e-mailed Brian.
He has always been helpful in the past with my questions so this incident will not tarnish the opinion I have of him or EK.
I suspect that most quality issues with keyboards are out of his control anyway.
If I'm upset with anyone it'd have to be Diatec.

EDIT for Update:

I'm very impressed with the solution that Brian has organised for me (replacement board)
Diatec have also done well here and are concerned about the board so it will be sent back to them.
In retrospect, it was rather silly of me to attempt to resolve the problem myself - I should have spoken to Brian first. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he would replace the board despite my attempts at fixing the problems. I guess if I knew I would get such a good response I'm sure I would have acted differently.
Thanks Brian, thanks Diatec and a special thanks to Mental Hobbit for the suggestion :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 March 2010, 01:44:35 by 002 »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 07:19:54 »
What do you need two of them for?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 07:31:46 »
One for each hand, obviously.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 07:35:30 »
He got one Blue switch one Brown switch board, see the different product ID's and LED colors?

I used 2 Realforce 87u's at the same time, one on each hand for a while and I was surprised how comfortable and easy it was to type that way.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 08:00:19 »
Quote from: webwit;167334
one for each finger.

e_penis!!!!
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 09:15:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;167330
One for each hand, obviously.

No. For symmetry of brown boxes on his shelf.
Typing on blues.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 09:57:00 »
I'm doing the math in my head and webwit could make quite the sum of money selling his collection (another way to look at this of course is that he has spent far more than a sane amount to obtain it, however).

I think it's his retirement fund. Better than a cash fund...some will appreciate in value, so there's the interest replacement...and he can actually use the items before he cashes them in someday.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 15:50:56 »
Quote from: ripster;163034
JK.  It's got more thumbs down than up even on Urban Dictionary.  Not exactly the OED.

Hey - the LEDs are white. Spiffy.  Probably shines little moons on the ceiling.

I *HATE* when the LEDs are in the keys, because, usually the light is mounted to the bottom: so when the key raises up, the light gets dimmer.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 17:01:03 »
I don't have that issue on my Realforce 87u's that have LED's under the keys.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 17:07:14 »
I don't have that issue on any such keyboard - if you're looking at the keys while typing, you're doing it horribly wrong.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 21:50:02 »
My White Filco has a mix of dark and light brown Cherry switches in it as well.  

I stripped all the key caps off without keeping track of their order.  I forgot about the different contours/angles on them so I'm going to have to figure all that out when I put the caps back on.  Yay.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 23:05:52 »
Quote from: didjamatic;167455
I don't have that issue on my Realforce 87u's that have LED's under the keys.

Huh, I guess it's only the crappy chiclet apple keyboards.

Curse that caps lock LED!
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT