Author Topic: Firefox 5?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Firefox 5?
« on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 15:52:02 »
Some are claiming Firefox is going to be on a version number treadmill until it catches up to Opera.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Daniel Beaver

Firefox 5?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 15:59:32 »
Quote from: alaricljs;367243
Some are claiming Firefox is going to be on a version number treadmill until it catches up to Opera.
As much as I hate that, I haven't heard anything else that makes more sense.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline ambroise

Firefox 5?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 16:10:11 »
Favorite feature so far is the app tab.

Offline Arc'xer

Firefox 5?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 16:22:57 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;367249
As much as I hate that, I haven't heard anything else that makes more sense.

It was done to expedite development speed so that, there is bigger steps rather than small updates.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Firefox 5?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 16:23:30 »
Right, which is why there is 1 new feature that is arguably a minor change to tab functionality.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Firefox 5?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 16:43:58 »
5? I never saw version 5. I'm on 7 already, get with the program!

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 17:07:11 »
Quote from: alaricljs;367243

Surely. Chrome already did it.

BTW the day they meet the opera features, the sun should be already transformed in a white dwarf
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Firefox 5?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 17:21:19 »
In case you missed it, it has a new gecko engine, so it gets a version increase. They're not just making it +1 for lulz, or to get a bigger number than opera or some other nonsense.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Firefox 5?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 17:26:11 »
Firefox 5? Now this is getting silly. I've been on Seamonkey 2.0 for what, 3 years? Those were the days of FF 3.0. The FF4 equivalent is called Seamonkey 2.1.

The last such disappointing version jump was OOo 3.0. They could have called it 2.6.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 June 2011, 17:36:48 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline ambroise

Firefox 5?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 19:49:46 »
I wonder what the next Xbox will be called...

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 20:01:36 »
Quote from: lysol;367341
In case you missed it, it has a new gecko engine, so it gets a version increase. They're not just making it +1 for lulz, or to get a bigger number than opera or some other nonsense.

In case you missed it, even the updates will be stopped for ff4, while ff3 still has them.

Clearly FF 5 is just a rebranded minor update to FF 4
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline mr_a500

Firefox 5?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 20:27:59 »
I only just heard about Firefox 5 yesterday and the customized PPC Mac version (TenFourFox 5) is already available. Mozilla stopped supporting PPC with Firefox 4 (damn them!), but the people behind TenFourFox are doing an awesome job keeping up.

It sure beats the days when I was stuck using Firefox 2 for years on BeOS.

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
Firefox 5?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 22:01:25 »
I was really surprised when I got the alert saying Firefox 5 was out. I thought it was some scam popup or something so I ignored it and searched up first. The speed with which they released it amazed me though, because I've been using Firefox ever since 2.0 was in its early days and they have always had a very slow turnaround for major numbers. Either way, doesn't really matter, the program does what I want, doesn't matter how many numbers they want to add as long as it still works.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline sordna

Firefox 5?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 02:16:06 »
I hate how the new firefoxes truncate a URL when you mouse over it. Sometimes I'm trying to choose between different ones and the truncation makes them look the same!

So I installed the Status-4-Evar extension which brings back the full size status bar at the bottom, and shows ultra-long URL's.
Highly recommended!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Hydroid

Firefox 5?
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 06:33:00 »
That's exactly the beauty of Firefox to me. If there is anything you don't like or something you want to add there is likely an add-on for it. Firefox conforms to you rather than you having to adapt to it. I still keep an open mind and try out new stuff. But having certain features really help. I am now hooked on the whole App Tab idea and fell in love with the idea from the first time that I saw it.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 06:36:19 »
That's exactly the beauty of Firefox to me.

I prefer opera even here, you don't want shortened address ?, just open the preferences and disable them.

Offline Megaweapon

Firefox 5?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 08:41:26 »
This abuse of major version numbers by Firefox is just going to make supporting it more of a headache for everyone, ultimately leading to less support.

Plug-in authors, web developers and IT people are now expected to waste more time on busy-work because FF wants to version like Chrome.  Did it occur to the FF devs that the part of the reason why FF has more plug-ins and more support from institutions than Chrome is because it doesn't release a new "major" version every six months?

They should have concentrated on making Firefox the most stable browser and left this flavor-of-the-month bull**** to Google.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Hydroid

Firefox 5?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 08:57:11 »
Quote from: ripster;367677
My wife hated Firefox 4 so I'm going to update her without telling.

Reminds me of a friend who used to install an Internet Explorer theme on Firefox and change the icon to an Internet Explorer one to get people who refused to change onto Firefox without their knowing.

Offline SVC

Firefox 5?
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 12:29:01 »
It should be about catching up to other browsers. IE 9, Opera 11 and Google Chrome is on version 14 (I think), so firefox is somewhat behind numberwise. That doesn't mean it makes sense though, but I think they fear that new users will resort to browsers that sound newer. Also I think that Google Chrome has been eating at everybody else market share, and they went through 5 big release numbers in just a year.

Then again I'm not using firefox but Opera, so I don't know how much actually changed.

Offline looserboy

Firefox 5?
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 13:39:09 »
man after firefox 3 i thought it couldnt be more worse.. but now we have ff5 and its crap in my opinion a lot of cool stuff but the most of the older add ons doesnt work.. so ff sux! but i am still using it because its more comfortable than opera or other ones.

Cherry: G80 MX11900blacks  - G80 MX1800 blacks - G80 MX1502 blacks all cards  - G81 MY 8005 ins. cards - G81 MY 3000 modded to 20g (HowTo)
NMB SPACEINVADER white
Noppo: Choc Pro browns  - Choc Mini reds
IBM: Model F IBM: Model M SSK IBM: Model M

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Firefox 5?
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 13:45:37 »
It's not so much that FF sucks as it is that plugins regularly lose developer support and although they still work with the new versions of FF you have to hack the manifest or use that force-install plugin.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Firefox 5?
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 15:07:15 »
I'm on nightly and I have 0 issues with my add-ons, but I don't use that many. Anything that is aesthetics stuff I just write to userchrome myself. You can also just turn off compatibility checking (extensions.checkCompatibility.) under about:config.

Offline Reedswood

• http://www.PWurl.tk
Firefox 5?
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 16:09:51 »
just upgraded tonight, and my RoboForm Password Manager is not working now due to the upgrade...back to IE9 until a fix is found!
Interested in Ghosts? Come view the latest \'LIVE\' Webcams and much more:
http://www.PWurl.tk

Offline sinis

Firefox 5?
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 05:00:09 »
somebody found out how to import older .json bookmark-saves into ff5?

it kills me I cant get it to work after updating to ff5. This are all my gathered bookmarks for working.

help please!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Firefox 5?
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 05:00:23 »
I used Firefox 4 for a bit after a year or two of Chrome and Opera usage. Didn't see what the fuss was about, found it rather clunky, so I uninstalled it.

Offline EverythingIBM

Firefox 5?
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 13:38:47 »
I'm surprised there's so much whining about browsers. I found the latest versions of firefox and opera both good. I actually prefer firefox honestly, because, in opera you can't drag images in email stuff like gmail or hotmail... and other little quirks that opera can't do which firefox can (and IE for that matter, LOL)...
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline bionicroach

Firefox 5?
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 14:04:43 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;368520
I'm surprised there's so much whining about browsers.

This.  I love the rapid release cycles of all the non-IE browsers because it usually means bugs and security holes get fixed sooner, in addition to the innovation that competition breeds.  I can understand corporate IT folks complaining about all the extra testing it would require, but for the consumer, it seems like a win-win.

I primarily use Chrome these days, but when I need plugins, Firefox just seems to work a little better still.

I haven't looked at Opera in eons, so I should probably check it out again...

Offline narlzac85

Firefox 5?
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 10:58:20 »
Just like every OS sucks, every browser sucks too. And by that, I mean none are perfect.

- Chrome has the best syncing and most polish, but its slower than other browsers when opening new tabs and there's no way to get a good new-tab page. You can redirect the new-tab but then the cursor doesn't default to the address bar.
- Firefox has so many extensions, but you have to restart the browser every time you change something and it just isn't as polished as the other browsers imo. I used to love FF, but I used it from version 0.6 til 3.6 and got tired of it.
- Opera, fastest installation of any program I have ever seen. Loads of options, but maybe too many options. Its a little overwhelming and I sort of wish they would focus on just being a browser and not everything under the sun. Very fast operations though. I've never been able to use Opera long-term, its just too different.
- IE9 actually looks very nice and its fast too, but of course its limited to windows (windows 7, maybe Vista?). Basically the opposite of Opera. Its has almost no options and only does web browsing. Not a bad browser at all in my opinion
- Safari? Who cares.

For me, Chrome's sync and polish trumps all others and so I use it for now.

Offline Reedswood

• http://www.PWurl.tk
Firefox 5?
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:30:41 »
nice writeup,  narlzac85...thx for that brief! :) I might just try Chrome then!
Interested in Ghosts? Come view the latest \'LIVE\' Webcams and much more:
http://www.PWurl.tk

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 16:19:58 »
- Opera, fastest installation of any program I have ever seen. Loads of options, but maybe too many options. Its a little overwhelming and I sort of wish they would focus on just being a browser and not everything under the sun. Very fast operations though. I've never been able to use Opera long-term,

Why they should ?

The opera mail client is a light year ahead anything else, as most of the other features, if you don't need them just don't use them, opera is still lighter than other browsers even whith its load of cool feature missing on other browsers.

its just too different.

It's the main advantage of opera, but most of the people don't want the best/lightest/more confortable tool to use Internet, they want just a better clone of explorer.

Offline PlayerZero

Firefox 5?
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 21:16:18 »
These updates remind me of Apple iOS software... 3.x.x to 4.0 gave hardly anything.  All the updates now are just trying to block jailbreaking.  The jailbreak software writers then come out with a jailbreak for the new iOS in a week, and Apple tries to block it again...
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Firefox 5?
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 17:09:13 »
I recently went to Seamonkey 2.2 (then still beta 2), which is based on FF 5.0. It was a relatively painless upgrade from 2.0 overall, I just needed to tweak a handful of settings. Overall it works better (the faster JS engine is definitely useful), though memory consumption is up by about 20% and scrolling tends to be a bit on the sluggish side at times.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Firefox 5?
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 18:25:35 »
Quote from: The Solutor;375624
It's the main advantage of opera, but most of the people don't want the best/lightest/more confortable tool to use Internet, they want just a better clone of explorer.

Or people just don't want a program that comes included with a bunch of **** they don't need.

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 18:47:40 »
Quote from: daerid;376518
Or people just don't want a program that comes included with a bunch of **** they don't need.

More likely a bunch of chocolate they don't understand.

In the meantime the first build of Opera 12 is out

http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/wahoo_12.00-1017/Opera-Next-12.00-1017.exe

Offline Lanx

Firefox 5?
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 23:52:09 »
i use all three (i don't count IE), i'm just stuck with firefox cuz they have the most and coolest plugins/extensions, chrome is nice to use too, opera is able to keep browser formating when copy/pasta.

using ff5 now and um, there's no difference i see from 4 lol. I use chrome on my notebooks/netbooks HTPC tho, lighter/faster.

Offline HaiiYaa

Firefox 5?
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 01:31:24 »
Opera is far superior to firefox, the only problem is that theres some sites it don't work with 100% perfectly. For those I use chrome

The only two options i miss in opera is the good translation from chrome or being able to search in the toolbar

Offline TacticalCoder

Firefox 5?
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 06:55:25 »
...most of the people don't want the best/lightest/more confortable tool to use Internet,

Please, more high-horses Opera fanboyism, we all want to learn how to "use the Internet" [sic]!
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 07:01:44 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;376810
Please, more high-horses Opera fanboyism, we all want to learn how to "use the Internet" [sic]!

I think your lesson one should be the respect for other people, and I'm sure even in the real life, then came back for the lesson two.

Offline JBert

Firefox 5?
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 09:23:08 »
Quote from: Lanx;376682
using ff5 now and um, there's no difference i see from 4 lol. I use chrome on my notebooks/netbooks HTPC tho, lighter/faster.
It simply has more features "as seen in Chrome", including its crazy numbering scheme.

DISCLAIMER: I am a FF user, but the version numbers got me stumped.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 July 2011, 09:35:29 by JBert »
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 09:32:30 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;376735

The only two options i miss in opera is the good translation from chrome

Same here, I use chromium just because this function, although opera has the email translation (via babelfish) which is very useful too

or being able to search in the toolbar

Search in address bar works since opera 9.50 or so..

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Firefox 5?
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 16:36:43 »
INTERNET EXPLORER FTW
The Best Browser on Earth!

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline The Solutor

Firefox 5?
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 17:22:10 »
Hahahahahaahahahhahahha

Offline Rafen

Firefox 5?
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:10:43 »

Offline bach0

Firefox 5?
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:43:43 »
Quote from: Rafen;379232
Firefox 6 is already in beta testing.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/firefox_6_reaches_beta_stage_now_available_download

Yep, version 7 is under alpha and focusing on memory print reduction :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk