Author Topic: Stand UP for Brother Trayvon Martin and Increase Gun Control in America  (Read 4365 times)

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
Gun control?

You mean like when you use both hands to aim, right?
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline JoeC

Stand UP for Brother Trayvon Martin and Increase Gun Control in America
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 18:57:35 »
Quote from: lorem3k;553823
Gun control?

You mean like when you use both hands to aim, right?

Remember to squeeze the trigger, don't pull it.
Lurk Moar!!!!!

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 01:00:36 »
LOL at gun control.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a liberal, but this is one area where I do not agree.  I don't have guns for going to the shooting range, or hunting, etc.  I own guns for the sole purpose of killing anyone who threatens my life or anyone close to me.  Home invasions are pretty popular where I am, so I protect my home with a 12 gauge shotgun.  I visit with old friends that still live in the hood, so I bring my 45 with me when I go out to sketchy places like that.  When I say hood - I mean for example the neighborhoods where prostitutes approach you in broad daylight, the house across the street is a dopehouse, and bums try to pull a knife on you on your way out of the 7-11.  You ever have someone pull a gun on you when you are unarmed and threaten your life?  I have.  It's a horrible feeling that I don't ever want to experience again.  Criminals don't buy guns at the gun store, they buy them out of car trunks and at gangbanger's houses, so making them illegal won't do anything but prevent law abiding citizens from obtaining protection.

Obviously this was a tragic event, but I don't see how gun control would solve anything.

Offline captain

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 04:34:39 »
Yeah, and let's erase the rest of that pesky Constitution too. It just gets in the way of criminals and the government taking over everything.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline nmd

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 21:03:07 »
This whoooooole thing with Trayvon Martin is tragic as hell. I'm not sure where you're trying to stand on gun control though: take guns away from everyone, or stricter gun ownership laws? How do you test for racism and such? :/

Regardless, the guy that shot him needs to be imprisoned for a very, very long time.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 00:01:20 »
Quote from: ripster;555059
What?  This Tea Party racism needs to stop.
[video=youtube;zObi5pEf-jA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zObi5pEf-jA&feature=related[/video]

What's wrong with that?  That's what the second coming of Christ, Ronald(6) Wilson(6) Reagan(6) would do.  After all, Obama is the antichrist, and a Muslim.  He also says gas should be $15 per gallon so that we will be more willing to explore alternative energy sources.  LOL, I'm being sarcastic, but there are a lot of people that actually believe that.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 05:34:53 »
Quote from: nmd;555104
Regardless, the guy that shot him needs to be imprisoned for a very, very long time.
That's not a call anyone should be making unless they're on a jury and presented with actual evidence of what happened and not hysterical media nonsense.

I think keeping a firearm for self defence or protecting property is retarded, frankly. It's much more likely your kid finds your finds it and accidentally shoots himself, or a criminal pulls it off you and shoots you in the face, or you shoot your wife in some alcohol-fueled rage than it is that you actually end up in a situation where you protect yourself with it.  That said, I'm against excessive gun control. When the vast majority of legal gun owners are law-abiding and semi-responsible citizens and the majority of guns used for crimes are illegally owned anyway, tightening gun control is like banning cars to prevent road accidents.  Yes, you'd save some lives (mainly from idiot gun owners or their families getting shot themselves) but the infringement of people's civil liberty and obstruction of pastimes like hunting and target shooting mean the ends don't justify the means, in my opinion.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 05:52:07 »
Quote from: quickcrx702;554352
LOL at gun control.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a liberal, but this is one area where I do not agree.  I don't have guns for going to the shooting range, or hunting, etc.  I own guns for the sole purpose of killing anyone who threatens my life or anyone close to me.  Home invasions are pretty popular where I am, so I protect my home with a 12 gauge shotgun.  I visit with old friends that still live in the hood, so I bring my 45 with me when I go out to sketchy places like that.  When I say hood - I mean for example the neighborhoods where prostitutes approach you in broad daylight, the house across the street is a dopehouse, and bums try to pull a knife on you on your way out of the 7-11.  You ever have someone pull a gun on you when you are unarmed and threaten your life?  I have.  It's a horrible feeling that I don't ever want to experience again.  Criminals don't buy guns at the gun store, they buy them out of car trunks and at gangbanger's houses, so making them illegal won't do anything but prevent law abiding citizens from obtaining protection.

Obviously this was a tragic event, but I don't see how gun control would solve anything.
Basically you need to change the messed up culture the USA has (as demonstrated perfectly by this guy) rather than changing the gun laws. For example, harsher penalties for those convicted of shooting someone in mistaken or unjustified self-defence. If a guy pulls a knife or pistol on you and wants your wallet, just give it to him and report it to the police.  If someone breaks into your house, call the police and lock yourself in a room. If you live in a high crime area, move somewhere else. People that own firearms with the intent purpose of killing someone they believe to be threatening just give normal gun owners a bad name, and I doubt most even have the training and ability to use one effectively in that kind of situation anyway.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 06:12:06 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:55:32 by davkol »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 06:17:57 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:55:06 by davkol »

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 06:53:16 »
Quote from: davkol;555403
Insane. What if someone wants to rape you? Have a nice sex with them. What if someone wants to kill you? Commit a suicide. It's not always about any kind of property.

I'm not sure about American police (I've heard something though), but here if someone robs you, police usually won't do anything.

Dumbdumbdumb dumbdumb dumdumbdumbdumb dumb dumbdumb

Offline Malphas

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 07:50:41 »
Quote from: davkol;555401
Remember Breivik? What if someone on that island had a gun to protect himself and people around? Prohibition (guns, drugs, whatever) helps only the criminals and black market.
Your argument is cancelled out by the fact Breivik owned his guns legally. Again, I'm not pro-gun control, just pointing out you pwned yourself with your own example.

Quote from: davkol;555403
Insane. What if someone wants to rape you? Have a nice sex with them. What if someone wants to kill you? Commit a suicide. It's not always about any kind of property.

I'm not sure about American police (I've heard something though), but here if someone robs you, police usually won't do anything.
You take precautions to avoid being raped/murdered in the first place, rather than thinking a gun is some magic bullet (coincidentally apt term of phrase). You think if you carry a gun you're automatically not going to get raped/murdered by a would-be assailant? You have to balance out the slight potential increase in odds from carrying a gun in that situation against the much more likely possibility that a mugging or burglary results in your death because you escalated the situation with a firearm, or even inadvertently armed your assailant by forgetting to switch off the safety, pull back the hammer, etc. in the panic of the moment, giving them opportunity to grab it from you. It's easy to act like a tough guy and think you'll be fine because you shoot a few rounds down a range once in a while, but real life is entirely different.

Also, I'm talking specifically about the USA, other generally safe nations to some extent.  If you live somewhere like South Africa, it's obviously a different set of rules.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 08:15:06 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:55:24 by davkol »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 08:58:03 »
Yes, that's understandable.  Although I still thinking moving house is a better alternative than carrying a pistol.  What I really object to is the "civilian sheepdog" (awful concept, popularised by a moron) types, which is how the guy that killed Trayvon Martin is being depicted.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 15:15:36 »
Quote from: Malphas;555390
Basically you need to change the messed up culture the USA has (as demonstrated perfectly by this guy) rather than changing the gun laws. For example, harsher penalties for those convicted of shooting someone in mistaken or unjustified self-defence. If a guy pulls a knife or pistol on you and wants your wallet, just give it to him and report it to the police.  If someone breaks into your house, call the police and lock yourself in a room. If you live in a high crime area, move somewhere else. People that own firearms with the intent purpose of killing someone they believe to be threatening just give normal gun owners a bad name, and I doubt most even have the training and ability to use one effectively in that kind of situation anyway.

LOL what do you think guns do?  They aren't toys, they kill people.  If you are not comfortable with the fact that you might kill someone in the process of protecting yourself and your family with lethal force, and the responsibility that comes with it, you do not deserve to own a firearm.  If you own a gun just to own a gun, and have not taken the time to practice using it and also learn basic gun safety, you also do not deserve to own a gun.  I'm not saying if someone pulls a knife on you that you should instantly shoot them without warning, and without being in genuine fear for your life.  Having a gun for self defense isn't always about protecting personal property.  I had some friends in high school that got shot by some gangbangers, and the only reason they didn't die is because the people shooting ran out of bullets.  I think it was over some stupid argument.  I agree that if you live in a place where crime is not an issue, guns are completely unnecessary.  Unfortunately in most large US cities, crime is a major issue, and criminals sometimes shoot people just for shiggles.  Also, telling people that live in high crime areas to "just move somewhere else" is pretty much just telling poor people to stop being so poor, and then not associate with poor people afterwards.  Just moving into a nicer area on the outside of the city doesn't guarantee anything either, because those are the places criminals target for home invasions since there is better stuff to take.

Like I said, I don't live in a bad neighborhood anymore because I've been pretty successful and have moved up, but a lot of my friends haven't been that lucky.  If they invite me to a BBQ, birthday party, etc., I'm not going to say "sorry you live in too crappy of a neighborhood for me to grace you with my presence, even though I also used to live there."  I'm also not going to leave my life in the hands of a criminal, who may or may not kill me and my family, even if I do everything they say.  It's easy for people that have never been put in life or death situations to criticize others for owning firearms, and for also being ready to use them.  Also, my guns were legally purchased and registered with the police to be in compliance with local laws.

I do agree about changing the gun culture in America.  If Americans weren't so damn violent and criminally minded compared to other wealthy nations, guns wouldn't be necessary.  Until that changes though, and I doubt that it ever will, not being armed in a major US city is pretty much just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.  Obviously that isn't the case if you live in a small town with low crime, but not everyone does.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 16:59:18 »
If the facts show the guy was looking for a macho-fight and subsequently killed an innocent boy, then hang him. If he was physically threatened then the question is did he bring that situation upon himself? Again, he will need to be severely punished. If he was attacked without provocation, then he is in the right and should walk free. Simple, just do the work to find out what happened. Odd that 'neighborhood watch' would carry a gun. It's called 'neighbor hood watch', not 'neighborhood vigilanteism'.

I fully support one's right to defend one's self at all costs. But I would never support vigilantes. I am an extremely strong supporter of civilian review of all police activities, they get away with way too much as it is. (All cops fully on camera while on duty would be a good way to start). I was hauled out of my office and hog-tied at gun point by a SWAT team, so I have very strong feelings about police actions.

Gun control? Good luck. Guns are not the problem. Our culture promotes the issues we have with guns and gun related crime. I don't have any answers, and at this point I almost have no credible opinion. Tough situation all around. California is one of the tougher gun control states, and I don't think our gun crimes are much different than states with more liberal gun laws. I'd be all for massive gun control if it was shown to work. In our 'free' society the idea of disarming the public can't happen...we have too much money and too much access to get things that we want. Face it, there will always be guns. Again, the problem is not the firearm, but the will to use it carelessly.

I owned a Benelli M-90 Defense 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun for a short period. I move a lot and it was too much hassle and responsibility for me. I gave it away. In a bad situation that I felt stress and fear for my life, would I knowingly kill someone? Absolutely. So don't even TRY to touch my keyboard, scumbag!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline captain

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:21:44 »
A gun is a tool. If you are one too, don't own a gun. Otherwise use it for its intended, and good purposes, and quit fomenting a gorram nanny state. Feh!  I'm arguing on the Internet. Just shoot me now.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:49:22 »
Quote from: captain;555777
A gun is a tool. If you are one too, don't own a gun. Otherwise use it for its intended, and good purposes, and quit fomenting a gorram nanny state. Feh!  I'm arguing on the Internet. Just shoot me now.

hm.. what was again the purpose of a gun? ah right.. killing people with ease
keep on handing those out it only can get better

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 19:55:52 »
Quote from: davkol;555401
Remember Breivik? What if someone on that island had a gun to protect himself and people around? Prohibition (guns, drugs, whatever) helps only the criminals and black market.

Funny but the NRA like to use this same stale, braindead logic as justification for allowing the general public to carry concealed weapons on air planes and go deer hunting with assault rifles. This may come as something of a surprise depending upon what news network you watch, but there actually are other wealthy, developed countries whose names don't abbreviate to U.S.A. – where 30% of the population aren't secretly bitter over the outcome of the Scopes Monkey Trial; where people aren't still arguing over whether or not their elected leader is a secret Muslim; and where placing legal limits on gun ownership isn't construed as a gateway to fascist dictatorship.

TL;DR – more guns don't make for a safer society. More guns make for more guns, and more opportunity to use said guns.

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 21:42:59 »
USA's problems were not caused by access to guns and are not going to be solved by access to guns or by gun control. America's problems are mostly political, about the distribution of wealth. If there are more slums, then there is going to be more crime and more reason to be on guard.
🍉

Offline Kazen

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 06:23:59 »
guns are designed for one thing only: killing living things as fast and efficiently as possible, the entire argument about "protecting yourself from big bad goverment" is total bull****. Considering the US is already quite militarized now, a civilian armed group would stand no change,

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 06:32:59 »
Please stay on topic folks.

The law is what doesn't make any sense. This guy was allowed to use deadly force despite the fact this his alleged attacker was both a minor and unarmed? THAT'S the problem here.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2012, 08:10:18 by keyboardlover »

Offline Kazen

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 06:38:06 »
agreed, the US judicial system has rather hard punishment for minor offenses, which is not helping to prevent crime

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 08:07:36 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;556165
Please stay on topic folks.

The fact that guns are legal in the USA has nothing to do with the fact that this cop killed a freaking unarmed kid. Cops have guns here as they do in other countries.

The law is what doesn't make any sense. This guy was allowed to use deadly force despite the fact this his alleged attacker was both a minor and unarmed? THAT'S the problem here.

he is not a cop, he was part of a neighbourhood watch

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 08:10:44 »
Ahh my bad. Post edited.

Still, I think that the law is the problem.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 08:53:41 »
Brother Ripster:

One must remember that often when we feel everyone else has the problem, often the problem lies within ourselves.

\Brother KL

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 09:04:44 »
Quote from: ripster;556199
I have reported their behaviour to the proper authorities (iMav) but they tell me their hands are tied by the Forum Rules.

Well, what did you expect?!

Quote from: iMav;404313
FYI,

- Posts you don't agree with aren't, necessarily, trolls.
 - Reporting posts you dislike (but don't violate the rules) in hopes they will be deleted is an abuse of your membership AND of my time.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 09:11:19 »
Snitches are *****es that get stitches and end up in ditches.

Offline phillip

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 13:54:12 »
Quote from: Malphas;555390

lol.  What a joke.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:14:39 »
Care to explain why pulling a firearm out and then potentially getting killed instead is a better solution than minor property loss (probably insured against anyway)?  Besides empty macho rhetoric that is.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:18:57 »
Quote from: Malphas;560701
Care to explain why pulling a firearm out and then potentially getting killed instead is a better solution than minor property loss (probably insured against anyway)?  Besides empty macho rhetoric that is.
Yo, I agree with your general sentiment, but it sounds like you've never been to Oakland. The police don't respond to house calls, pretty much ever. They'd rather waste their money on helicopters to keep an eye on the white kids protesting downtown every couple of weeks.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline phillip

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:23:39 »
Quote from: Malphas;560701

In regards to the robbery, what if the robber feels like shooting you anyway?  Compliance does not mean anything.  People get killed all the time after handing over the wallet or cash register.

In regards to the home invasion, do you think a locked interior door will stop them?  Your exterior door or the simple fact that it is your house and not theirs clearly didn't.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:26:34 »
Quote from: phillip;560713
In regards to the robbery, what if the robber feels like shooting you anyway?  Compliance does not mean anything.  People get killed all the time after handing over the wallet or cash register.

In regards to the home invasion, do you think a locked interior door will stop them?  Your exterior door or the simple fact that it is your house and not theirs clearly didn't.
This is typical guy that has no experience or knowledge of criminals fearmongering attitude, basically. If a guy has a gun pointed at you, then obviously there's no way to completely negate the chance of him shooting you, but out of options a) give him the cash and let him piss off, or b) pull a gun out and give him a good reason to shoot me, I know which one makes more sense to a rational person.  Someone robbing you is most likely feeding a habit for starters, it's not in their interest to turn a potential robbery offence into a potential murder charge, nor is it in their interests to attract attention with a gunshot.  Like I said before, most people with your attitude don't have the aptitude to to get out of that situation with a gun.  It's just a simple case of **** + gun = self-deluded tough guy.  As for a burglary, depends on police response times.  Most burglars run at the first sign of trouble, not always, but usually.

Quote from: sth;560708
Yo, I agree with your general sentiment, but it sounds like you've never been to Oakland. The police don't respond to house calls, pretty much ever. They'd rather waste their money on helicopters to keep an eye on the white kids protesting downtown every couple of weeks.

I know there's exceptions to the rule, but the majority of people with this bs gung-ho attitude live in white suburbs.  Look at the guy above me, he lives in Forth Worth ffs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:44:12 by Malphas »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:28:18 »
Quote from: Malphas;560716
I know there's exceptions to the rule, but the majority of people with this bs gung-ho attitude live in white suburbs.

Or Texas.

Look at the guy above me, he lives in Forth Worth ffs.

Oh, wait...

Offline phillip

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:47:37 »
This is typical guy that has no experience or knowledge of criminals fearmongering BS, basically. If a guy has a gun pointed at you, then obviously there's no way to completely negate the chance of him shooting you, but out of options a) give him the cash and let him piss off, or b) pull a gun out and give him a good reason to shoot me, I know which one makes more sense to a rational person.  Someone robbing you is most likely feeding a habit for starters, it's not in their interest to turn a potential robbery offence into a potential murder charge, nor is it in their interests to attract attention with a gunshot.  Like I said before, most people with your attitude don't have the aptitude to to get out of that situation with a gun.  It's just a simple case of **** + gun = self-deluded tough guy.  As for a burglary, depends on police response times.  Most burglars run at the first sign of trouble, not always, but usually.

I know there's exceptions to the rule, but the majority of people with this deluded gung-ho attitude live in white suburbs.  Look at the guy above me, he lives in Forth Worth ffs.

So it's reasonable to assume you're super experienced with armed robbery or home invasions then?

Shootings/killings happen, often to victims who were complying with the criminals.  An armed robber or junkie is obviously not the most rational person in the first place.  I guess facts are just ignorant fearmongering though.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:53:11 »
And shootings/killing happen far more often to people that don't comply or behave aggressively, what's your point?  If you seriously think trying to pull out a gun to defend yourself is a safer option than handing over your wallet, then you're not even the same planet as anyone that knows what they're talking about.

Offline phillip

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 15:58:14 »
Quote from: Malphas;560754
And shootings/killing happen far more often to people that don't comply or behave aggressively, what's your point?  If you seriously think trying to pull out a gun to defend yourself is a safer option than handing over your wallet, then you're not even the same planet as anyone that knows what they're talking about.

What's your point?  That having all the normal people unarmed and leaving everything to the police will make everything ok?

Obviously there is risk involved in trying to pull your gun.  If you don't think you can do it, then don't.  Give the guy your wallet and have a nice day.  If you think you can, then go for it.  I obviously hope to never be in that situation.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 16:07:57 »
A) I'm not pro-gun control, just pro-peoplenotbeingmorons, as is clear from my posts in this thread (I do modern pentathlon, clays, and rifle target).

B) My point is imbecile gun-owners with your attitude - like the guy that killed Trayvon Martin - give the rest of us a bad name.  And 99.99% of people don't have the ability required in that situation, and would be better off handing over their wallet, only they're too dumb to realise (not sure if you're in that category or not, but it sounds like it).  I did a pretty intensive CP course in Cape Town with Ronin SA, and I still wouldn't carry a gun for self-defence purposes (illegal in the UK anyway), or be stupid enough to provoke or attack an armed mugger.  Whilst the extent of training most of your typical faux-toughguys have ever had is shooting at paper targets on a firing range once in a while.

Offline phillip

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 16:22:11 »
I like the consistent name calling.  I can do it too.  I think you're an ignorant ass.

Why should licensed carriers be scared to carry?  Why should they be scared of defending themselves?  Obviously nobody in their right mind would ever hope to be put in a situation where they needed to use their weapon to defend themselves, but I would much rather have the opportunity available if the situation came about.

What makes you think I support the guy who killed Trayvon Martin?  Nowhere did I advocate going after somebody.  Zimmerman is an idiot.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 16:25:04 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:56:04 by davkol »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 16:43:35 »
Quote from: phillip;560781
Why should licensed carriers be scared to carry?  Why should they be scared of defending themselves?
It's just dumb and counter-intuitive. Carrying a firearm makes you less safe, and more at risk of being shot.  Most police officers that die from gunshot wounds are shot with their own weapons - and that's guys that actually have some degree of training rather than just target practice.

Quote from: phillip;560781
What makes you think I support the guy who killed Trayvon Martin?  Nowhere did I advocate going after somebody.  Zimmerman is an idiot.
Never said you did, but you exhibit the same mindset.

Quote from: davkol;560783
The country where it's illegal to carry a knife? I feel sorry for you.
Yes, the UK is a nanny state and I'd gladly leave if I could think of somewhere better.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2012, 16:46:29 by Malphas »

Offline phillip

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 17:00:09 »
Quote from: Malphas;560798
It's just dumb and counter-intuitive. Carrying a firearm makes you less safe, and more at risk of being shot.  Most police officers that die from gunshot wounds are shot with their own weapons - and that's guys that actually have some degree of training rather than just target practice.

I disagree.  I obviously think carrying a firearm makes you safer.

I'd like to see the stats on cops being shot with their own weapons vs being shot with other weapons.

Never said you did, but you exhibit the same mindset.

How, exactly?  I'm not a neighborhood watch man.  I don't think black people are threatening.  I don't find hoodies threatening.  If I called 911 and they told me to stay put, I would.  Where's the similarity?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 17:20:14 »
Quote from: phillip;560812
I disagree.  I obviously think carrying a firearm makes you safer.
Well known statistics suggest otherwise, you can look them up yourself, I'm not chasing around references because of your ignorance, ha ha.

Offline phillip

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 17:52:21 »
More like you're the ignorant one quoting hearsay.

Offline Parabellum

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 18:30:13 »
People are idiots.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 18:31:51 »

Yes, the UK is a nanny state and I'd gladly leave if I could think of somewhere better.

Nanny state?! From what I've heard, because of your lack of guns, when murders DO happen they are often quite brutal and sometimes performed in clever ways...

Offline Malphas

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 18:37:29 »
What?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 18:39:59 »
Quote from: phillip;560873
http://www.gunfacts.info/

A direct link if you're lazy:
http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/6.0/Gun-Facts-v6.0-screen.pdf
Yes, nothing biased about a source that consists of an individual-run website with the explicit agenda of spreading pro-gun information.

Guy Smith (writer, songwriter, political provocateur) and has been referred to as a libertarian with a foreign policy.  Because the 2nd Amendment is the only civil right under perpetual attack, Guy has chosen to make gun owner rights and Gun Facts the focal point of his political activism.

Offline phillip

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 13:13:55 »
Fortunately there are sources for the information on the site/in the pdf.