Author Topic: The fine art of shaving: safety razor, shaving brushes and straight razors.  (Read 15019 times)

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil
Yea, I'm definitely going to have to bust into this scene. Anything to lock me in the bathroom for a half hour and have the wife deal with the kids instead of me :P

Offline Djuzuh

Yea, I'm definitely going to have to bust into this scene. Anything to lock me in the bathroom for a half hour and have the wife deal with the kids instead of me :P

Wet shaving is one of the best ME-time one could imagine !

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil

notsureifserious.jpg

I know I can think of some ME time I enjoy far more...

Minecraft.

Offline Djuzuh

notsureifserious.jpg

I know I can think of some ME time I enjoy far more...

Minecraft.

I'll take a nice shaving session over any game anytime, but only once I was able to move my ass

It's hard to motivate oneself to go shaving :(.

Offline Rafen

I have be in the mood to shave with my DE otherwise I try to hurry and my neck gets cuts and very irritated. So when ever I shave I try to take my time so this doesn't happen. I never shave in the morning because I don't have enough time so I shave at night before I get a shower.

Offline Djuzuh

I have be in the mood to shave with my DE otherwise I try to hurry and my neck gets cuts and very irritated. So when ever I shave I try to take my time so this doesn't happen. I never shave in the morning because I don't have enough time so I shave at night before I get a shower.

you are supposed to shave after the shower (don't wipe your face).

Offline Rafen

I actually use a hot towel before the shower like they do in the barber shop. I get a closer shave with less irritation that way.

Offline Djuzuh

oh, ok.

I find the hot towel is too much work when I can just wait until I take a shower.

Offline Rafen

oh, ok.

I find the hot towel is too much work when I can just wait until I take a shower.

In a way it is a lot of work but once you find something that works for you and doesn't give you irritation you keep doing it.

Offline braaaiiins

Bingo! Not everyone has the same type of hair follicles or skin sensitivity. Different people require various levels of "pampering" to get a satisfying shave.

Offline 1stGenRex

I've done the hot towel thing, but yeah, a nice hot shower works just as well, especially if I use Proraso Pre-Shave before the shower.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Just ordered a Calani Cadre Noir and Dubai shaving soaps. I prefer shaving sticks and found a Dutch webstore online that sold these.  Curious how they compare to my Tabac shaving stick. It feels great, but because it does not have a case (maybe it's just a refill?) it is a bit hard to use it when on the move.

Will try to give an impression when they arrive.

P.S. The Parker DE I showed earlier works great. Close shave and it even 'sounds' really nice. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I stopped shaving years ago, although I do trim with the clippers every now and again.

Then this -------->
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bear95

I use a box cutter knife.
I was playing it with one day and running it over my hand and found out after a while I could run the blade at a 30 degree angle at the direction I was going at without cutting into my skin. So I decided I could shave that way and I did :P Haven't used a regular blade yet :P

Offline braaaiiins

I was playing it with one day and running it over my hand and found out after a while I could run the blade at a 30 degree angle at the direction I was going at without cutting into my skin. So I decided I could shave that way and I did :P Haven't used a regular blade yet :P

dude you have balls of steel. There's a huge difference between a sharp blade and a sharp pointy blade. I would never use a blade with a point o_o

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil

dude you have balls of steel. There's a huge difference between a sharp blade and a sharp pointy blade. I would never use a blade with a point o_o

The make rounded edge box cutter blades. Must industrial areas need to use them unless ABSOLUTELY necessary to use the pointed edge variety. OSHA are such wusses.

Offline braaaiiins

The make rounded edge box cutter blades. Must industrial areas need to use them unless ABSOLUTELY necessary to use the pointed edge variety. OSHA are such wusses.

Didn't know that, good to know they exist. I happen to agree with OSHA on this.. why not enforce safer tools when the danger traditional tools offer is unnecessary?

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil

Didn't know that, good to know they exist. I happen to agree with OSHA on this.. why not enforce safer tools when the danger traditional tools offer is unnecessary?

I'm of the mentality that if you round every corner on every table, desk, counter top, blade, cart, arm rest, etc... you're simply inviting complacency into the workplace, especially in lines of work where you can lose your life in a heart beat. My job requires me to climb around in a racking system over 90 feet tall on metal rails about 1 1/4" wide.  If a person can't be safe and smart around a non-rounded razor blade, odds are they shouldn't be up in the racking.

One of those darwin theory things.

Offline braaaiiins

I'm of the mentality that if you round every corner on every table, desk, counter top, blade, cart, arm rest, etc... you're simply inviting complacency into the workplace, especially in lines of work where you can lose your life in a heart beat. My job requires me to climb around in a racking system over 90 feet tall on metal rails about 1 1/4" wide.  If a person can't be safe and smart around a non-rounded razor blade, odds are they shouldn't be up in the racking.

One of those darwin theory things.

If you need sharp corners then use something specifically for that. If you have absolutely no need for a sharp corner, then why would it even be a feature? A sharp point on a blade when all that is required is a sharp edge is unnecessarily dangerous. I don't really think that's an opinion.

Many public staircases have embedded rubber traction. Is it required to walk up safely? Nope. Is it a feature that prevents accidents and even deaths? Absolutely.

Incompetent people aren't the only ones who can get hurt. I'd rather provide a safer workplace for both smart and dumb people - not set up dumb people to hurt themselves.

Also, from an engineering standpoint, an unsafe tool is a poorly designed one. Not every blade needs a sharp point.

edit:

Sorry for going off topic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2012, 01:59:15 by braaaiiins »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Got my Calani soap shaving sticks today. :)

Especially the Dubai smells really nice.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread