Author Topic: The fine art of shaving: safety razor, shaving brushes and straight razors.  (Read 14995 times)

Offline Djuzuh

Because as mechanical keyboard geeks, we seek for the best option in what we do every day !

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏

Jelly?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Djuzuh

So for those who are unfamiliar to the topic,

What you gain by using a shaving brush and a safety razor:
- less skin burning/irritation and ingrown hairs (I think I can safely say that it is no skin burning and no ingrown hairs, at least once you have it down). (Remember the first time you shaved, how everything was burning ? Well, it still is, but you accomodated yourself to it, so you don't feel it anymore. Unless it is gone. Like after a decent shave).
- better shaving, your skin will be smoother
- a lot of savings over the long time (unless you make it a hobby, then you'll spend a lot). A blade costs 30 cents and soap goes for 10$ but is enough for a few months. Compared to 5$ the can who holds two weaks, and a few dollar for your machIII recharge.
- You'll enjoy shaving. It won't be a chore, but something you enjoy doing !
- A new hobby? the different soaps, brushes, razors, blades need all to be tested !

However, it asks an initial setup for about 100$ (a razor, a brush, a soap and a blade sampler). And you'll take longer to shave (5 to 15 minute each time, depending on how good you want to be shaved) (but those will be 10minutes you'll enjoy). A somewhat bad first month, because you need time to learn to shave properly (technique is a lot harder), and find what blade suits you the most .

The reference is : http://badgerandblade.com .

For a first razor, the usual recommandation are merkur 34C or an edwin jaegger.

Seriously, I recommand to switch to a safety razor highly. Expecially since as keyboard geeks you are somewhat the same public (people who don't mind getting out of the social norm to get something better).

Straight razors are for the more hardcore ones. They are way more dangerous and hard to use, and require more maintenance. I recommend to start with a safety razor, and maybe move upwards after.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2012, 14:32:56 by Djuzuh »

Offline dirge

Cheap electric. No in growing hairs, closer than they used to be, £20 and two years of daily service.  I'm a convert. Used to be a wet shave is best etc.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Djuzuh

Now, about my set up.

I have a merkur 38 C (basically a 34C with a longer handle, and thus heavier) a vulfix badger brush, proraso shaving soap, and an alum block.

I used a few blades, and I liked feather and persona the most

Offline 1stGenRex

I shave with a DE razor! If you're interested in starting up, check out /r/wicked_edge on reddit or the Badger and Blade forum. I haven't shaved in quite a long time (rockin the beard in Afghanistan) but I do miss it.

I HATED paying so much for Mach 3s that shaved "okay" for 4-5 shaves and then went to crap, so I started looking into alternatives....boy am I glad I found DE shaving! It's much more enjoyable for sure, and the results are a great shave that doesn't irritate the crap out of you (once you get the hang of it.)

For blades, I found some Persona Medical Prep blades that are just amazing! I tried Derbys, and a few others and they worked well, but when I got those Pesonas, I gave away the rest of my blades.

Offline Djuzuh

Cheap electric. No in growing hairs, closer than they used to be, £20 and two years of daily service.  I'm a convert. Used to be a wet shave is best etc.

I don't think wet shaving is the best. But the fact that it's by far the most enjoyable makes it my favorite method.

The day my work would oblige me to shave everyday, I might switch to an electric one because it's faster and easier, but for now I can live with shaving 1 to 3 times a weak.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Would using a double-edge be feasible for my head? I get frustrated with both Fusion and Mach3 if I let it go for more than 2 days at a time.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline 1stGenRex

Would using a double-edge be feasible for my head? I get frustrated with both Fusion and Mach3 if I let it go for more than 2 days at a time.

It's definitely possible, and I've read of a few guys that do it with no issues. Have you looked into the Head Blade though? Maybe something worth considering.

Offline Djuzuh

I saw some people do it over badger and blades. Just ask them :P.

It's definitively an upgrade compared to fusion and mach3. I just don't know enough about shaving one's head to say it's the best option.

But you'll want a longer handle I'd say.

Offline 1stGenRex

I guess I'll post some shaving related pictures. These 2 are my typical go-to shaving setups

:D
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 August 2012, 02:00:11 by 1stGenRex »

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
I guess I probably need to work on my shaving cream.  I have been using a safety razer for a while now and I don't really notice that much of an improvement over a standard razer or one of those new-age multi-razer disposables.  I do go longer between when I have to go to the store and buy new blades though :)
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
I guess I'll post some shaving related pictures. These 2 are my typical go-to shaving setups

Show Image

Show Image

:D

I also use C.O. cream! I shave with a Merkur Vision 2000 w/ MDE Platinums.

Offline braaaiiins

wooot, geekshavers.

I have a cheap amazon straight razor that uses replaceable blades. I like it because my blades are always really sharp and I don't have to sharpen or strop. I use mainly just glycerin soap I got from mama bears. Sometimes I mix in some of the cream for a "super lather". I honestly just prefer straight soap though. I've got a scuttle from dirty birds pottery, thats probably my favorite piece. The badger brush is a cheapo i bought on amazon, probably not even badger. I use an alum block as an aftershave antiseptic - its kinda hard to see, its on top of the soap dish. It feels great if you keep it in a cup of ice while you shave , and it tastes kinda sweet =x
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2012, 21:51:17 by braaaiiins »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
Damn, straight razor shaving. That's too pro for me...  I have this fear of cutting an inch deep into my cheek

Offline Djuzuh

Damn, straight razor shaving. That's too pro for me...  I have this fear of cutting an inch deep into my cheek

I had this fear too, but then I shaved myself with my DE, and am way more fine with it.

But I haven't tried it yet.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
braaaiiins makes a good point about using new blades instead of stropping.  I heard if you didn't strop evenly, you'll almost guaranteed to cut yourself.  Maybe I'll give the replaceables a try.

braaaiiins,do you have a brand preference?

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
I keep meaning to try a straight razor.   I'll definitely take a look at the badger and blade site.

I don't shave everyday,  probably about once every four...   

I've noticed that the mach three blades only blunt to a 'point', I only buy one or maybe two packs of blades a year.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber

I see we're using the same handle :) Been using mine since I got it from my old man. I could never go back to multi-blade razors now.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline braaaiiins

braaaiiins makes a good point about using new blades instead of stropping.  I heard if you didn't strop evenly, you'll almost guaranteed to cut yourself.  Maybe I'll give the replaceables a try.

No brand preference, just stickin to what works for now. Here's what I got on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Parker-SR1-Stainless-Straight-Razor/dp/B002PQZEHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344393816&sr=8-1&keywords=straight+razor

The blades should be listed close by, about 12 cents a piece.

Using a straight razor is really not that scary. You just have to keep paying attention no matter how good you think you are. As long as the blade has your entire attention while its close to your face, you'll be fine =)

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator

No brand preference, just stickin to what works for now. Here's what I got on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Parker-SR1-Stainless-Straight-Razor/dp/B002PQZEHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344393816&sr=8-1&keywords=straight+razor

The blades should be listed close by, about 12 cents a piece.

Using a straight razor is really not that scary. You just have to keep paying attention no matter how good you think you are. As long as the blade has your entire attention while its close to your face, you'll be fine =)

Alright, for 19 bucks I'll give it a shot.. If I cut my face in half, I'll post pics.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Nice, a shaving thread. I have been using a cheap plastic DE I found in Germany a few years ago. I tried shaving with a brush but I didn't like the way the soap cream worked and picking hairs of my face each time. Could be my technique though.

I've been meaning to buy a Better handle. Not sure which one though.
Just before I left on vacation I bought a tabacco shaving stick which felt great.
Hate using the disposable blades right now.

Any suggestion as toa better brush? I've read pork hair is much less likely to break?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline 1stGenRex

Nice, a shaving thread. I have been using a cheap plastic DE I found in Germany a few years ago. I tried shaving with a brush but I didn't like the way the soap cream worked and picking hairs of my face each time. Could be my technique though.

Just before I left on vacation I bought a tabacco shaving stick which felt great.

Any suggestion as toa better brush? I've read pork hair is much less likely to break?

Boar brushes are OK, but Badger is best.

Offline Djuzuh

I have the cheap plastic DE razor too. But it's not nearly as good as my merkur.

About the brush, do you make sure that you dry it after each utilisation and that it rests the hair at the bottom? Also, there is a wiki page over B&B on how to prevent your brush from losing hairs :P.

Offline Asininity

I'd love to move up in the "shaving world." I'm using some cheap razors right now but I think I'll go order a Edwin Jaegger.

Now, what brushes, soaps, etc?

Offline Daniel Beaver

I used to be into this shaving stuff... nowadays I just use an electric razor. So much easier.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
im japanese, i shave with a butter knife every other week :p
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Djuzuh

I'd love to move up in the "shaving world." I'm using some cheap razors right now but I think I'll go order a Edwin Jaegger.

Soap, it's up to your preference in terms of scent. Just order from the big brands. If you want the most cost effective choice, order proraso.

Brush, I'm not really into it anymore, Since I have my set, but look around Badger and blades.

Offline 1stGenRex

I used to be into this shaving stuff... nowadays I just use an electric razor. So much easier.

While in the military, I'd have to shave sometimes twice a day, because by mid afternoon, some SSgt would give me **** asking if I'd shaved that morning. Electric shavers were never a viable option :P

Offline braaaiiins

Soap, it's up to your preference in terms of scent. Just order from the big brands. If you want the most cost effective choice, order proraso.

Brush, I'm not really into it anymore, Since I have my set, but look around Badger and blades.

I definitely recommend trying some mama bears glycerin soap. They have some great scents and it is super slick stuff that lathers nicely . I love the smell of sandalwood, so I'm using their spellbound woods shaving soap.

If you can find some milled soap, that might be a good option, lots of men like to use it for shaving.

You can find a decent brush on amazon for like 10 dollars. It's not high quality, but it gets the job done. Higher quality brushes have softer tips, not necessarily a performance upgrade, just a nice luxury.

Offline Asininity

I definitely recommend trying some mama bears glycerin soap. They have some great scents and it is super slick stuff that lathers nicely . I love the smell of sandalwood, so I'm using their spellbound woods shaving soap.

If you can find some milled soap, that might be a good option, lots of men like to use it for shaving.

You can find a decent brush on amazon for like 10 dollars. It's not high quality, but it gets the job done. Higher quality brushes have softer tips, not necessarily a performance upgrade, just a nice luxury.

Thank you, to both of you.

I think I'm going to order a Omega 11047 brush, Edwin Jagger razor, razor blades, and some Proraso shave cream.

Offline Djuzuh

Thank you, to both of you.

I think I'm going to order a Omega 11047 brush, Edwin Jagger razor, razor blades, and some Proraso shave cream.

That's a nice start !

Offline Glissant

Not a very great picture, but it's an old one and I can't be bothered to take a new one right now ;) .

I use Feather New Hi-Stainless DE Blades in my Futur, and it's a lot cheaper than using disposable multi-blade blades. I do get nicks with the Futur, but it's mostly when I try to rush the shave.

I highly recommend switching to this as I feel my skin feels a lot smoother and doesn't get as irritated with my lavender soap and DE razor; Especially if you have a thick beard like me.

The DE blade got me nervous to begin with, but using Shavenation's (geofatboy) channel on YouTube helped me overcome most if not all of my nervousness.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 August 2012, 01:01:57 by Glissant »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
I shave once a month with beard clippers.

Offline 1stGenRex

I tried soaps, and while they were nice, I just preferred the convenience of creams. That CO Biggelow stuff is awesome (re-branded Proraso) and I usually pick them up when they are on sale, which is often. I think the sale is Buy 2 get one free, or buy $30 and get $10 off...it's been a while since I've had to buy some.

Offline Djuzuh

I need to buy some soap.

I've only used proraso, and some cheap stuff (palmolive cream and monsavon soap).

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil
I work for Gillette... so I use ProGlide  :)) ... However I've wanted to try a straight razor shave... we have a barber shop in the facility that will do a straight razor shave and a hair cut for $30. I should probably get around to trying that.

Offline Djuzuh

I work for Gillette... so I use ProGlide  :)) ... However I've wanted to try a straight razor shave... we have a barber shop in the facility that will do a straight razor shave and a hair cut for $30. I should probably get around to trying that.

Really?

I thought barbers aren't allowed to use straight razors and badgers for safety/hygiene reasons anymore.

Try it out then !

It should be very relaxing. (If you are able to trust your barber with one of the sharpest lames around your throat that is).

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil

Really?

I thought barbers aren't allowed to use straight razors and badgers for safety/hygiene reasons anymore.

Try it out then !

It should be very relaxing. (If you are able to trust your barber with one of the sharpest lames around your throat that is).

Yea, really. I'll have to get around to doing that... working nights makes it tough seeing as I'm here when the barber is closed. I can always make a trip though. There's a barber shop that's been doing straight razor shaves for the last 50 years one town over as well from where I live. One of those gotta know a guy scenarios. Straight razor shaves are done in the back room so he doesn't get in trouble LOL

Offline Djuzuh

Really?

Try it out then !

Yea, really. I'll have to get around to doing that... working nights makes it tough seeing as I'm here when the barber is closed. I can always make a trip though. There's a barber shop that's been doing straight razor shaves for the last 50 years one town over as well from where I live. One of those gotta know a guy scenarios. Straight razor shaves are done in the back room so he doesn't get in trouble LOL

Enjoy it !

Think of it as the manly version of massage (but without happy ending, but you never know ;p )

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
And all because of this thread, I am going to purchase the products needed to try out straight razor shaving. Had it done once by a barber, felt great. The hardest thing for me, choosing a scent from mama bears soaps! Mmm too many choices! And all them bath soaps....sheesh!

Offline Djuzuh

And all because of this thread, I am going to purchase the products needed to try out straight razor shaving. Had it done once by a barber, felt great. The hardest thing for me, choosing a scent from mama bears soaps! Mmm too many choices! And all them bath soaps....sheesh!

Sorry :x

But enjoy your shaving. And don't imediatly jump off after one or two times, wait at least a month to judge ! You need to learn it first ^^'

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
I will definitely be trying it a lot till I'm satisfied with the job :) Although with winter coming, I may need to break to grow a big ol' bushy man beard. Northern ontario winters get cold! 

Offline 1stGenRex

I tried straight razor shaving a few times and gave up. This was years before finding about B&B, and trying out DE shaving. At this point though, I'm in love with DE shaving and will probably stick with that. Definitely never going back to the multi-blade crap if I can avoid it.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Went to the city to pick up a mouse, came back with a new shaving kit. :D

A Parker 86R
Hans Baier brush + stand (black handle, hairs + low light and stand make it invisible) :/

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious to see how it stacks up to my cheap plastic Wilkinson Sword DE.

I have tried Palmolive cream in the past and didn't care for it. The smell was weird and I had a hard time getting it to foam and turn into a proper larder.
The white turd on the right is a Tabac shaving stick. A bit unwieldy to apply, but it works great.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:32:02 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Djuzuh

Went to the city to pick up a mouse, came back with a new shaving kit. :D
Show Image

A Parker 86R
Hans Baier brush + stand (black handle, hairs + low light and stand make it invisible) :/

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious to see how it stacks up to my cheap plastic Wilkinson Sword DE.

I have tried Palmolive cream in the past and didn't care for it. The smell was weird and I had a hard time getting it to foam and turn into a proper larder.
The white turd on the right is a Tabacco shaving stick. A bit unwieldy to apply, but it works great.

Prepare to be amazed !

Also, remember to not apply force ! You have now a heavier razor, gravity is enough :P.

Honestly, the weight, the feel, the fact that it feels more solid, and the fact that your razor now gets warm when you put it in hot water makes a HUGE difference.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
the biggest difference imo is the ability to alter your blade angle.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Okita

If only I could shave my neckline without slicing and dicing my face with my safety razor.

Offline Djuzuh

If only I could shave my neckline without slicing and dicing my face with my safety razor.

I've never sliced myself °°

Just make some good lather (more important than most think), and don't press your razor against your skin. Just let it slide.

Offline Rafen

I justed started shaving with a DE a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I have a Merkur 23c and I use C.O. Bigelow shaving cream. The stuff is amazing and I get a really good lather. So far my blade of choice is the Gillette 7 O'clock (yellow). These blades give me the closest shave without the irritation. I tried Feathers but they just irritated my skin since they shaved so close.

If you guys want some interesting shave cream scents try www.theshaveden.com they have all different kinds in there store. Anything from Monkey farts and Motor oil to Lemon and Apple Crisp pie. Believe it or not the Monkey farts reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum. :)