Author Topic: Diagnosing an Issue/Overclock Help  (Read 5623 times)

Offline funxion

Diagnosing an Issue/Overclock Help
« on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 19:28:51 »
This is my first post in a LONG time, but anyhow - I have an issue with my computer that's REALLY starting to get on my nerves.

I'll be in a game (any game, this isn't game-specific so I've ruled out any software-related issues) and my computer will hiccup. The screen just stays at whatever frame it was at when the hiccup started, it will last about 5-7 seconds, and then it will end and resume like nothing ever happened.

With that being said, I'm not exactly sure what is causing this. My guess is it's either my CPU (i5 750 OC'd to 3.8GHz from 2.67GHz - which I will touch on later in this post) or my HD (Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB). Both have been in use since holiday season 2007. The reason I ruled out my graphics card is due to the fact that my monitor does not go black or artifact during the process. The only other issue that comes up is my mouse stops working, but that would probably be because the image is frozen at that point in time.

-----

The second thing I need help with is OCing my CPU (i5 750 as stated above).

I'm not familiar with voltages and settings of the like, so it would be nice if someone who has first hand knowledge on all of this to chime in. My motherboard is an EVGA P55.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
Re: Diagnosing an Issue/Overclock Help
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 20:07:05 »
Can you list all of your computer components?

Offline funxion

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 19:13:46 »
CPU: Intel i5 750 2.67GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10x
MOBO: EVGA P55
GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti Classified 448-Core
RAM: G.SKILL RipJaws 8GB
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB
PSU: Corsair 750W
Case: Antec 900
Input Devices: Logitech G9x, Logitech G35, Filco MJ2
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 20:38:58 »
My initial thought was maybe you didn't have enough ram or bad ram.  Once your ram is all utilized, your computer writes to the HDD Paging file which is much slower and may cause hiccups.  But 8GB seems to be enough. Are you running 64bit Windows?
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 August 2012, 20:45:21 by mistakemistake »

Offline funxion

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 22:51:32 »
Yes. One important thing to add is that I hear the sound Windows makes when you unplug and plug in a device. It's the "dun-dun" chime descending and ascending.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 23:01:01 »
Yes. One important thing to add is that I hear the sound Windows makes when you unplug and plug in a device. It's the "dun-dun" chime descending and ascending.

Either I'm missing the importance of the windows chime or you're just trolling :/

I still think it may be ram related.... But download cpuZ and realtemp and then run prime95.  Post a screen shot of cpuz and realtemp during load.  If your voltage is passing 1.4V (http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/Intel-Core-i5-750-Processor-(8M-Cache-2_66-GHz)) during load, that's probably your issue. But I'm thinking from your 2.67 to 3.8GHz on that processor you're probably around 1.3V ish. It's also possible you're overheating.

Offline funxion

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 00:55:29 »
Not trolling. I think it might have been my speakers not being plugged all the way into the audio jack. Seeing if that is the case now. If not, I'll run Prime95 and all that good stuff.

But just for the record, I idle at 1.25V on my CPU as far as voltage goes...am I maybe under-volting it?

Just kidding, it's still happening...will do Prime95 now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:00:20 by funxion »
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 00:58:06 »
hopefully your sound issue fixed it! hard to say at idle. better to test under load..

Offline funxion

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:00:51 »
Yeah, edited my earlier post. It's still doing it. How long do I run Prime95 and which test should I do?
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:03:42 »
well make sure you're running both cpuz and real temp while you run the prime95 test.  I can't remember the exact test name, but choose the maximum stress testing. If your voltage get's anywhere near 1.38V stop the test. If you temps reach anything higher than 88C stop the test. But while the test is going on, take a screen shot of what cpuz and realtemp reads.

Offline funxion

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:05:09 »
Alright. Appreciate the help so far. If it does happen to be something CPU-related, would you be able to help?
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:06:57 »
I can do my best. But if I can't, I'm sure there is someone on this forum that can :)

Offline funxion

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:18:18 »
Running it now on the "maximum" setting. Not sure how many times it's gonna test. It's on it's 9th test now and temps haven't exceeded 70 degrees Celsius. Voltage hasn't exceeded 1.282V either.

1568-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

1570-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:20:05 by funxion »
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:20:39 »
can you also take a screen shot of the memory tab on cpuz while it's testing?

Offline funxion

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:23:25 »
1572-0
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:33:39 »
Everything from the test looks fine. I don't think it has anything to do with your ram/cpu. When did you buy your hard drive?

Offline funxion

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:34:53 »
Holiday season of '07.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:35:35 »
When was the last time you did a full clean restore?

Offline funxion

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:36:33 »
1576-0

Look at Worker #1  ???
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline funxion

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:39:09 »
And I reformatted about a month or two ago. I just don't know how to reformat without getting that temporary files folder. I want to just wipe out my entire computer and start fresh.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:39:29 »
Don't worry about that. That's a software related issue w/ prime95. Requires a few changes. But you can see that your processor is running fine.

Offline funxion

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:41:39 »
Alright so I don't need to change any voltages or anything related to the CPU or RAM...

That leaves, what, the HD and motherboard?
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:41:55 »
When did this problem start happening?

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:43:07 »
Alright so I don't need to change any voltages or anything related to the CPU or RAM...

That leaves, what, the HD and motherboard?

No, you're fine w/ the voltages.

I doubt it's your power supply or your motherboard. I think it's either HD, Video Card, or still even possibly RAM.

Offline funxion

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:43:51 »
About a week ago. I'm betting it has something to do with my USB ports cause I keep hearing that chime and then my in-game volume will drop drastically and I have to go into my Windows volume options and bring the volume bar back up to 100% again. It's consistent.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:46:38 »
Sounds like it's either software, power supply grounding issues, or a bad connection to the motherboard if you use the front audio connector on the motherboard

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:47:11 »
Did you change any components or open the computer case before the issue?

Offline funxion

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:49:56 »
I use the back audio connector for speakers, but the front is just a USB headset and my iPhone cable (which isn't even plugged in 95% of the time). How would I fix the PSU?

And I haven't changed anything...same crap prior to this happening.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:51:16 »
I use the back audio connector for speakers, but the front is just a USB headset and my iPhone cable (which isn't even plugged in 95% of the time). How would I fix the PSU?

And I haven't changed anything...same crap prior to this happening.

I meant the actual connector used for the front audio. Maybe that connection to the motherboard is loose?  You would just have to replace the power supply if it's bad.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:51:52 »
Sorry man, it's tough without actually seeing it in person..

Offline funxion

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:51:59 »
Yeah the front audio connector isn't even used. I use the back one, so I doubt that's an issue.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline funxion

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:53:28 »
Any way to test my PSU?
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:54:25 »

Offline funxion

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 01:56:02 »
Oh man...
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline funxion

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 15:45:05 »
It's definitely only while games are running. The only games I play are CoD4, MW3, and CS:GO...it happens in all of them.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline funxion

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 17:25:02 »
It's not the PSU...all of the symptoms I've seen for failing PSUs are not what I have.

It's one of my input devices, something is up with my motherboard, or I have a virus.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 17:26:42 »
try doing a reformat/fresh install of windows

Offline funxion

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 22:06:09 »
Just reformatted. I think it was one of the USB ports on the front of my case, but I'll let you know if it comes back.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 22:07:55 »
Alright good luck! Like I said in the earlier post, you should just double check all of the connections on your motherboard.

Offline funxion

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 00:27:22 »
Yeah I have the same issue even after a reformat...it's definitely hardware related. I think it's one of my USB ports.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 00:29:14 »
Since you said you don't use the front USB ports, you should unplug them from your motherboard and see if that's the issue.

Offline funxion

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 00:31:58 »
Well I have to use one of them for sound while I'm playing cause I don't play on speakers.

Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 00:32:41 »
Just unplug it and see if that's the problem.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 10:22:55 »
the only thing i can think of is maybe one of your peripherals is causing an issue, the driver you are using is being an a-hole (lol), or your gpu is messed up.  its hard not to look at the GPU when you say its only during gaming.  download unigine or another GPU bench software, and see if it happens then too.  or, buy a cheap $30 card or borrow from a friend to see if switching them out does anthing.  if you lived in MA i could help u lol
| Poker MX Red |

Offline funxion

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 13:38:01 »
If my monitor went black while this was happening, I would attribute it to my GPU. The only thing it could be related to in terms of the GPU is an artifact, which would be a stutter or glitch in the image, which the stutter does happen, but I hear the device connection chimes which leads me to believe it's one of my peripherals or something failing on my motherboard.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 02:18:41 »
Don't worry about that. That's a software related issue w/ prime95. Requires a few changes. But you can see that your processor is running fine.

This information is overall very false. If a worker fails in Prime it is not a software related error caused by Prime itself, it's a lack of VCore going to your core in most cases.

The device chime sounds like a USB hub being powered and unpowered. What devices do you have plugged in currently to USB slots? I would remove everything but the essentials and try the exact same scenario. I don't think this is power supply related as you are barely taxing a 750W PSU with your current set up. You're probably pulling 400W from the wall at full load. Just as a way to remove one of the possible causes (USB header dying on your motherboard) you could remove the plug for the front headers and move it to another set of USB plugs on your motherboard. Most tend to have 2-3 sets of USB.

Another safe way to test is to go into your BIOS, and save a setting for your current overclock. Then, revert it all to default settings. Go into Windows, fire up a game. See if it gets that same momentary stutter. If the stutter disappears then I'm leaning towards an unstable overclock.

The final thing you want to consider: Your hard drive is not designed for Operating System and gaming use. You're currently using a WD Caviar Green, which is an eco storage drive. They're designed to stop the disk heads from spinning to reduce wear and tear/power usage and are designed for storing data, such as photos, videos, etc. It's not designed to be a boot/primary drive such as the WD Cav Black.

Post back and let me know how some of these solutions worked out. Remember to try them one at a time or you can't possible begin to get to the root cause.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 04:35:29 »
This information is overall very false. If a worker fails in Prime it is not a software related error caused by Prime itself, it's a lack of VCore going to your core in most cases.

The device chime sounds like a USB hub being powered and unpowered. What devices do you have plugged in currently to USB slots? I would remove everything but the essentials and try the exact same scenario. I don't think this is power supply related as you are barely taxing a 750W PSU with your current set up. You're probably pulling 400W from the wall at full load. Just as a way to remove one of the possible causes (USB header dying on your motherboard) you could remove the plug for the front headers and move it to another set of USB plugs on your motherboard. Most tend to have 2-3 sets of USB.

Another safe way to test is to go into your BIOS, and save a setting for your current overclock. Then, revert it all to default settings. Go into Windows, fire up a game. See if it gets that same momentary stutter. If the stutter disappears then I'm leaning towards an unstable overclock.

The final thing you want to consider: Your hard drive is not designed for Operating System and gaming use. You're currently using a WD Caviar Green, which is an eco storage drive. They're designed to stop the disk heads from spinning to reduce wear and tear/power usage and are designed for storing data, such as photos, videos, etc. It's not designed to be a boot/primary drive such as the WD Cav Black.

Post back and let me know how some of these solutions worked out. Remember to try them one at a time or you can't possible begin to get to the root cause.

I agree with all of this post and also offer my help pm me if interested.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 August 2012, 04:37:12 by TheProfosist »

Offline funxion

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 15:06:05 »
Alright so the problem was my old mouse. Something must have been messed up with the wiring, but I now have a SteelSeries Sensei RAW and am loving it.

The FPS lag and stutter also went away...but I'd still like to make sure my OC is stable, so I'm going to PM you (Profosist) after this post.

I'll probably be upgrading to a XFX Double D Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB from my GTX 560 Ti Classified 448-Core this holiday season along with a new HD and a SSD hopefully.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Diagnosing an Issue/Overclock Help
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 00:06:22 »
Alright so the problem was my old mouse. Something must have been messed up with the wiring, but I now have a SteelSeries Sensei RAW and am loving it.

The FPS lag and stutter also went away...but I'd still like to make sure my OC is stable, so I'm going to PM you (Profosist) after this post.

I'll probably be upgrading to a XFX Double D Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB from my GTX 560 Ti Classified 448-Core this holiday season along with a new HD and a SSD hopefully.
did i ever get your pm?

Offline mrgrey

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 23:06:51 »
I just joined the community because I found this thread and have EXACTLY the same problem. 

The only difference is that the "dun-dun" was happening in game or out of game, sporadically every 5-10 seconds or so.  Yeah, hickuping every few seconds is really annoying.  It was even happening in safe mode - thus figured it was a hardware issue.

In my case it was ALSO my mouse - a Logitech MX518.  Just installed an MS wireless I have for my laptop and problem solved.