Author Topic: Silent VS Standard Topre  (Read 7815 times)

Offline planeswitch

Silent VS Standard Topre
« on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 12:20:33 »
Silent and standard switches seem to feel very different. Has anyone else had this impression?

Offline maxlugar

Re: Silent VS Standard Topre
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 22:22:33 »
The  Topre Type S has slightly less key travel vs. the standard Topre switch.

However, that slightly less key travel translates into a significantly different typing experience.

Comparing my standard HH Professional 2 with my HH Professional 2 Type S, I definitely prefer the Type S.

Not only is it quiter, it is also slightly more enjoyable to type on.  I am able to type about 5-10 WPM faster on the Type S, even faster than on the IBM PC AT 84-key Model F.

So IMO, the HHKB Pro 2 (not an inexpensive proposition to begin with) was made even better with the new Topre Type S keyswitch.

Whether or not it's worth the $200 premium is entirely subjective.

For keyboard connoisseurs who can appreciate the subtle differences and afford the premium, the answer is Yes!
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 22:16:15 »
lol sorry to necro this thread.  Someone on geekhack posted about a Full Size 45g Silenced Realforce on Japanese Amazon (Japanese layout), I was like man this will be my dream keyboard if it ever comes out in English layout.

But then it occur to me, is the reduced key travel always favourable?  Or is it still a preference like Cherry profile vs OEM profile?

Has anyone here that has tried both that actually prefers the non-silenced version?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 22:18:54 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline qihqi

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 22:57:07 »
I tried Type-S for one day (borrowed from coworker), and I do prefer normal Topre than silenced one. It is all personal preference.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 23:53:36 »
lol sorry to necro this thread.  Someone on geekhack posted about a Full Size 45g Silenced Realforce on Japanese Amazon (Japanese layout), I was like man this will be my dream keyboard if it ever comes out in English layout.

But then it occur to me, is the reduced key travel always favourable?  Or is it still a preference like Cherry profile vs OEM profile?

Has anyone here that has tried both that actually prefers the non-silenced version?

Mm, that's not right. Type-S boards are specifically made with longer stems to compensate for the silencing, so they have the same travel as normal Topres. I've tried both for quite a while, and prefer the silenced, but both are quite good.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 00:23:49 »
Yeah..that is my understanding as well..that even though they're not using the purple stems you see on a silenced RF, they're still longer to fit properly w/ the ring....Would love to see that side by side though...but it explains why people are having more whistling issues on a Type S..because the stem IS different if only slightly..

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 10:51:39 »
Mm, that's not right. Type-S boards are specifically made with longer stems to compensate for the silencing, so they have the same travel as normal Topres. I've tried both for quite a while, and prefer the silenced, but both are quite good.

Hmmmmmm from what I've read that even though they compensate for it by having a stem with extra room, it's still shorter travel their their "regular" counterpart (though the margin of difference might be small).

So typing feel wise you'd say it's pretty close between both?

I tried Type-S for one day (borrowed from coworker), and I do prefer normal Topre than silenced one. It is all personal preference.

Would you agree with this that it's preference then?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:20:02 »

Hmmmmmm from what I've read that even though they compensate for it by having a stem with extra room, it's still shorter travel their their "regular" counterpart (though the margin of difference might be small).

So typing feel wise you'd say it's pretty close between both?

The travel honestly feels the same to me. I've used an FC660C for close to a year, and I've used my Type-S for about a month now. Perhaps there is a minor difference, but I feel that it's just the difference in feeling throwing some people off. I think it really is preference, but if you do want silenced, Type-S > DIY silencing simply because of the travel.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:11:09 »
lol I might have to try it one day then, thanks for the explanation !

:D

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:27:46 »
lol I might have to try it one day then, thanks for the explanation !

:D

I think you'll enjoy! If you're ever in Houston, I could let you try mine out.