Author Topic: Advice about plexiglass and fans for laptop  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Carnage

Advice about plexiglass and fans for laptop
« on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 12:41:47 »
So a while back i bought some fans to build my own laptop cooler ((it overheats quiet a bit because its slightly overclocked but it really seems tasked when im doing multiple things at once)) so i got 3 fans and i got a old power supply cut it spliced the wires hooked the fans up shorted out the power supply to turn it and bam i got a strong power supply and some strong fans im using case fans cooler master and i decided that just temporarily id cut some holes in my old laptops box put the fans power supply etc in there and the laptop on top but alas i decided i wanted to make it looker nicer more well made the box was just for a temporary

So yesterday i got 2 decent size pieces of plexiglass to cut and mount the fans in and put that under the laptop because well then the blue leds will look alot nicer at night because there wont be a box blocking out the light they can get more air and it dosent look generic like having a cut up box under my laptop haha so do you guys have any advice on a easy or good way to cut the plexiglass and how to get the fans mounted in there properly super glue or melting i was thinking maybe? on a side note should i have the fans blowing up and in the laptop or sucking it out so far from what ive seen i think blowing in the laptop is actually more efficient ((speedfan seems to think it keeps it cooler by about 2 - 3 degrees but im not sure i don't trust speedfan)) so anyways if anybody could help thanks!

anyways heres a pic of the fans if that helps and i got 2 sheets of plexiglass incase i mess one up

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 August 2012, 12:43:40 by Carnage »

Offline Djuzuh

Re: Advice about plexiglass and fans for laptop
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 12:49:17 »
If you are too lazy to use punctuation, I'm too lazy to read you.

Offline wcstick

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 13:41:42 »
I don't think there's a way to cut plexiglass without a powered saw. A quick google led me to this http://www.ehow.com/how_6353409_cut-hole-plexiglass.html
So I would say, draw a circle around the circumference of your fans on the plexiglass and make a mark of the corner holes where screws can mount your fan. (I don't remember how tower fans are mounted, but I think they're mounted with screws in the corners.) Once you've done that, drill the holes and screw in your fans. As for the orientation, it depends on the laptop. If you find exhaust fans on the sides, then the bottom is usually an intake or a heat-sink.
You mentioned that you're going to use one piece of plexiglass, but no mention of how you'll prop the surface up. There are many ways to do this so I'll leave that up to you.

On another note, please use punctuation. It's not easy to read a wall of text while trying to mentally separate sentences.

Anyway, don't forget to measure twice before you cut. Good luck!

Offline Carnage

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 13:50:06 »
Oh i apologize thanks! I know I'm sorry about the punctuation I'm not to good at actually making sure i do it properly while I'm trying to think of how to explain my circumstance. Any whom i think I'm just going to prop it up so its not on the floor using wood and just making 4 wooden legs. Its just cutting the plexiglass i think shall be the issue. I think i might try to just cut the corners of the plexi so the fans will go on the corners and put the legs on the corners of the fans for extra support. I'm guessing that's probably the easiest way but most likely not the best because of the fact that i need fans also in the middleish part of the plexiglass for the parts where my ram, hd, processor, etc is.

Offline wcstick

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 15:00:42 »
You don't need to prop all the corners up, just the back two so the laptop's at an angle. Like I said, a hole saw is the best way to do it. I don't know how else you can do it while keeping the fans where they'd be the most efficient.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 01:13:04 »
I cut my sheet of PMMA (plexiglass is just too ambiguous) with a hacksaw. It was very easy, and worked out great. You can also score it a lot, though I would say this is a better solution for PC (Lexan), or more brittle clear polymers.

Scoring through the PMMA with a knife was surprisingly easy, you could cut through the entire thing that way, and it's an easy way to make a beveled edge, if yo think you need one.

I made an amp case out of it, and drilled the holes with a normal saw (a battery saw hooked up to my benchtop PSU because the battery is dead. I "slowed it down" to 9/10 the normal voltage or so.) and I finished the odd-shaped IEC inlet with a sharp knife. For the drilling, I started small, and slowly worked my way up to the size I needed. It was easier than I thought.