Author Topic: Any love/interest in Fingerworks Touchstream keyboards?  (Read 6003 times)

Offline drteeth

Any love/interest in Fingerworks Touchstream keyboards?
« on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 10:12:24 »
About a decade ago, I bought a Fingerworks Touchstream LP in order to do some coding. I didn't know it then, but I guess even then I had a little keyboard lust in me. I haven't used that keyboard in at least 5 years. I did a search on the forum for the keyboard when I was still a lurker and didn't find many posts about it. I know this is mostly a mechanical keyboardist's haven, but is there any love for these keyboards? I'm thinking of selling mine and am wondering the best way to go about it.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Re: Any love/interest in Fingerworks Touchstream keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 14:16:43 »
Well, I want one. :)
I've tried typing on it and couldn't quite do it but I certainly want to try some more,.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 00:38:59 »
Doesn't sordna have one? I'm pretty sure Hoggy, the ergo king has one as well.
If I remember right, when they do pop up, they can go for somewhat expensive. I've always wanted to try one, but I don't think I'd be able to justify paying a lot for one.

I am sure you'd be able to sell it on the classifides here. There was a fingerworks forum I saw once, but I can't remember the URL.

Offline drteeth

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 09:18:06 »
I think I found a site that is a board just for them. I registered there also to ask some questions about prepping the unit for sale -- what tests to run, what pictures to take -- that kind of thing. But, the forum is moderated and my posts haven't been approved yet for some reason. The link is http://fingerfans.dreamhosters.com. Is that the one you were thinking about?

I'm hoping to sell mine and get a mechanical. Unfortunately, I've got a lot of posts to go before I can post in the classifieds according to the rules I've seen on here. Any idea of the price (you mentioned "somewhat expensive")?

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 10:20:09 »
One went on ebay.de for EUR 300 about two weeks ago. The last I saw before that was $250 on ebay.com. Sadly both are out of my price range. :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 12:28:34 »
I have one. It's amazing except I make too many typos with it. It's programmable from the keyboard itself, like the Kinesis, you can remap keys, switch it to dvorak, etc. But actually, it's the best mousing experience I've ever come across, nothing comes close. You can type and mouse seamlessly, without moving your hands. Sliding 2 fingers of the right hand moves the mouse. Sliding 2 fingers of the left hand, moves the cursor, and at the speed of your hand! And it works even in text terminals, linux, whatever, no drivers or anything needed. I mean, I'm typing this long line in bash, and I can super-fast slide the cursor to the any point in the line this way, even in console mode!
Apple is slowly trickling some of the amazing gestures these boards have to their macbooks and ipads since they bought Fingerworks, but they are still behind.
At these prices you really should have bought one !
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 12:33:06 »
I'm flattered, but I don't have one.  Always seem to be outbid when they come up on ebay...

Look real classy, though.

Doesn't sordna have one? I'm pretty sure Hoggy, the ergo king has one as well.
If I remember right, when they do pop up, they can go for somewhat expensive. I've always wanted to try one, but I don't think I'd be able to justify paying a lot for one.

I am sure you'd be able to sell it on the classifides here. There was a fingerworks forum I saw once, but I can't remember the URL.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 12:48:37 »
DrTeeth, could you please post some photos?   
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline drteeth

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 22:37:39 »
I have one. It's amazing except I make too many typos with it. It's programmable from the keyboard itself, like the Kinesis, you can remap keys, switch it to dvorak, etc. But actually, it's the best mousing experience I've ever come across, nothing comes close. You can type and mouse seamlessly, without moving your hands. Sliding 2 fingers of the right hand moves the mouse. Sliding 2 fingers of the left hand, moves the cursor, and at the speed of your hand! And it works even in text terminals, linux, whatever, no drivers or anything needed. I mean, I'm typing this long line in bash, and I can super-fast slide the cursor to the any point in the line this way, even in console mode!
Apple is slowly trickling some of the amazing gestures these boards have to their macbooks and ipads since they bought Fingerworks, but they are still behind.
At these prices you really should have bought one !

The fluidity and ease of moving back and forth from typing to mousing really is nice. I do believe that is one of the best selling points on a day-to-day use basis. I recall experiencing exactly what you are describing on the command line.

DrTeeth, could you please post some photos?   

Surely. Below. Click for larger.

Offline CaffeinatedMe

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 09:25:37 »
This thread was in my search results, and I am glad it was, love the forum. 

This is the pinnacle of system manipulation.

Mod edit: sales pitch removed

32308-0
32310-1
32312-2
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 18:22:51 by hashbaz »