Author Topic: Alps Vs Alps  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Carnage

Alps Vs Alps
« on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 12:52:40 »
So im currently using my blue alps again ((leading edge dc 2014)) and i just got my buckling spring about a week ago. Theres just something i cannot seem to break out of and leave these alps even though the keyboard has taken quiet a beating and, the u key dosent respond about 75% of the time i cant seem to be able to switch to cherry's ((ive tried blues and blacks)) or buckling springs. Does anybody else get this feeling with alps or is it just me? so i decided my next keyboard within the next week or 2 i want a pair another pair of blue alps maybe greens or whites but im not sure how do greens and whites stack up to blues?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Alps Vs Alps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 14:53:16 »
I have never had a blue Alps board, but the blue Montereys in the Chicony 5181 are really sweet.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dirge

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 15:08:03 »
About to take the plunge and replace my aeii with blues and see how it goes.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Carnage

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 15:17:07 »
Yes switch over to the blues my friend  >:D

Offline dirge

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 15:24:24 »
koralatov's fault, he sent me one with some uk replacement caps for my azert aeii.  One click and I had to try them.  I've only had a single switch so far in my hand but when I clicked it, it felt like what I expected blues to feel like before I tried them.  If that makes any sence....

Anyway I think I'll be stocking up on a few more :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Carnage

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 15:29:45 »
Very cool, Trust me i know the feeling of the first time you use alps i was using a cheap 10 dollar logitech rubber dome till i got my f21-7d ((its a generic alps i got for 40 on amazon)). Then after about 3 months i realized i loved them and got my leading edge DC-2014 ever since then i couldnt switch back. I ended up giving my f21 to a friend who ended up breaking it and i used the dc-2014 ((which im using now)) until its basically completly destroyed. the U key works about 75% of the time same with some others.

Then i decided its time for a new one and i got a unicomp ultra classic buckling spring with custom keycaps and its sad really i use it for 3 1/2 days then 1/2 a day of the dc-2014 even though i know it will be fully destroyed soon i just cant leave alps it seems like for anything else. Thats why i made this thread to see what other peoples opinions on the difference of alps blue, green, white, etc. I mean i spent 100 for the unicomp but for some reason its just not doing it like alps do for me.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 15:41:53 »
About to take the plunge and replace my aeii with blues and see how it goes.
downgrade alert!

@OP: i feel the same way about topre now... i just don't enjoy typing on much else compared to my 45g.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Carnage

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 16:09:22 »
I think it kind of stinks actually falling in love with one certain key. I mean i do enjoy typing on this buckling spring but its just theres something about alps that got me hooked and now i cant seem to enjoy others as much. Oh well i guess everyone has there own switch. So does anybody know how blues compare to whites or greens on the basis of: tactile, Sound ((loud clicky etc)), there g, and there overall feel?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 16:30:35 »
pretty much all tactile cherry switches have the bump further down on the keypress than most alps. i vastly prefer blues to white alps clones but that could also have to do with my sissy fingers -- blues feel much lighter. soundwise white alps are much more pleasing than blues.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 16:44:52 »
White was the replacement clicky switch for blue – neved used one. I find that my Fukka white simplified keyboard is less tactile, but therefore significantly smoother than my blue ALPS keyboard. All but the latest greens are linear switches. Pretty much every other colour is tactile only – the only clicky colours are blue, white, and the most recent greens.

It's not just colour and tactile vs click vs liner – many colours are shared between complicated (self-contained microswitch block, in long and short switchplate varieties), and the four varieties of simplified (open microswitch), namely Type I ("Fukka"), II ("XM"), III, and IV, the last one being a I/II hybrid that's better than Type II (less balky) but still a lot stiffer than Type I. I feel sure that old long switchplate tactile complicated switches are a lot smoother and softer than the short switchplate black tactile complicated switches in the Dell AT10* family that are spongey and frictioney. Those are more like Cherry clears in feel, but poorly tactile.

The only way to be sure what you've got is to open up a switch, but the simplified ones are a pain to reassemble -- with type IV at least, the two metal parts of the microswitch are held in place by grooves in the upper housing of the switch and it's really hard getting them to slide back into those grooves! Complicated switches have a plastic block that holds the microswitch components together even when you remove the upper housing, slider, return spring and tactile/click leaf. The length of that plastic containing block alone (the switchplate) is theorised to have a noticeable affect on how smooth the switch feels.

All this is largely undocumented. No rationales, no specifications, no schematics. I do wonder whether Types I to IV are even numbered in order of introduction by ALPS, as I have a huge PC/XT/AT switchable keyboard (no date) with Type IV simplifieds, long before I thought they'd been introduced! I have another, similar keyboard, but PC/AT only, that has blue complicated switches.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 17:43:53 »
have white, blue ALPS and feel the same way :cool:

white ALPS are pretty nice, but blue ALPS are hard to beat- so i'm with ya.

wish there was enough ALPS users that we could do a GB on keys. think they tried before, but it bombed.

So im currently using my blue alps again ((leading edge dc 2014)) and i just got my buckling spring about a week ago. Theres just something i cannot seem to break out of and leave these alps even though the keyboard has taken quiet a beating and, the u key dosent respond about 75% of the time i cant seem to be able to switch to cherry's ((ive tried blues and blacks)) or buckling springs. Does anybody else get this feeling with alps or is it just me? so i decided my next keyboard within the next week or 2 i want a pair another pair of blue alps maybe greens or whites but im not sure how do greens and whites stack up to blues?
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 18:46:25 »
I have some ALPS as well, I really like mine. What are you going to do with the Leading Edge? You may want to just desolder the faulty U and clean the inside with some compressed air. I got to try Blue ALPS last weekend, they were grand! I'm so disappointed that I can't have any.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 20:15:40 »
Also love the buttery feel of my Blue Alps most of all.  The high tactile point combined with a smooth keystroke sold me.  I have a AT101W filled with Blue Alps but if I ever get my hands on a Zero or Leopold Lite I may have to transfer them to something more portable.]

All the other tactile clicky actual Alps I have tried have been too heavy for my wimpy fingers, while the blues are just right.  The Duck XM Greens are also an acceptable weight, but feel somewhat cheap compared to the blue classics.
Erlang your pants off

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 02:36:32 »
All the other tactile clicky actual Alps I have tried have been too heavy for my wimpy fingers, while the blues are just right. 

I feel exactly the same way ^^ I prefer the blue ones over white because of the stiffness of the whites. Overall the whites are still nice but the blues are more comfortable to me. I've replaced the blacks in my at102w with blues.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 04:53:07 »
I am also a big fan of ALPS.  I preffer whites to blues however.  Can't wait for my Siig minitouch to arrive in the mail!!
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 07:50:08 »
re: vintage orig. alps

blues are always *perfect*
some (older) whites are same as blue
blacks are garbage pretty mediocre
creams were REALLY well-built. Jobs must've payed extra for the good plastic. Oh, I'm totally stoked for Matias' new dampened ALPS switch.
tactile browns are my all-time favorite though. tactile curve is smooth and gradual, much better than the itty bitty bump on the MX brown.

What I'd like to know is how the early tactile alps (browns) differ from the later tactile bigfoot alps... material quality, cost cutting, etc.. Also in the 90's didn't they move to Taipei or something?
keyboards!

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 15:24:44 »
As I said, colour means nothing by itself. Blue switches came in complicated (definitely long switchplate) and Type II simplified at least (in later Focus keyboards), ditto green (where green is clicky OR linear). White sliders are found in complicated and Type I, II and IV simplified – not sure on Type III, they may have been grey or black? Black sliders could be short switchplate complicated, Type I or Type II amongst others. Your "some (older) whites" are probably long switchplate complicateds, as opposed to simplified switches. (I thought my PC/XT-PC/AT keyboard with whites was going to be my chance to compare blue and white, but it turned out to be Type IV simplified).

(I find the black ALPS switches in the Dell AT10* series to be quite a lot like Cherry MX clears.)

Definitely looking forward to the new Tactile Pro :-)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner