Author Topic: HDD Recovery?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline braaaiiins

HDD Recovery?
« on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 23:19:53 »
Well... I waited too long to back up my storage drive and now it's corrupted.

" D:/ is not accessible.

The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

I've tried accessing it from Win7 and Win8 but no luck. Tried running a chkdsk but it won't even let me access D: in the cmd prompt.

Have any of you had any luck dealing with this issue? I've never tried any HDD recovery software, so I'm hoping one of you can give me some recommendations.

Ugh. If only my WIN8 partition got corrupted instead -_-

Offline gorebrush

Re: HDD Recovery?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 05:33:20 »
I would get GetDataBack

I have used this in the past and have successfully recovered b0rked disks.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 06:11:11 »
I can recommend the Parted Magic Linux live CD for all harddisk related maintenance.

Some people have also reported success with not using the drive for a while and maybe storing it in a dry freezer before use.

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 15:47:15 »
Thanks for the tips. I'll post back with results.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 00:46:40 »
First: See if it's recognizable at all (Even if it won't mount). If not, you might be able to successfully swap the controller. If so, I'd go in with testdisk to make sure all the partitions are still there. (You can use it to copy files out of them). If your partitions aren't corrupted, but some of your files appear to be, fire up photorec to recover them all. Beware, it will probably take a long time to run.

I have used both these tools on OSX and linux, and they might be available for windows, too. There's a really good guide with pictures on their website, and it's really easy to use (with the default options) for a command line (basic GUI, similar to ncurses) tool.

If you have a larger disc, dd_rescue might be a good solution, too.