Author Topic: Clack Factory "3D" Skull Keycap (Topre) in stock  (Read 9637 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mm87

Re: Clack Factory "3D" Skull Keycap (Topre) in stock
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 06:02:31 »
It's not actually in stock anymore, you'll see if you try to checkout :|

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 07:08:52 »
They don't last long!

Offline nntnam

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 07:36:52 »
^ Have you received the refund. I guess there may be some more when Brian has finished canceling all the "violate" order ;D.
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 14:53:13 »
Damnit!  They were there and I was able to checkout one before I realised that it was Topre.

Maybe I should have bought one and traded it for an MX one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 19:34:41 »
Those specific 3D ones has been there for a long time. Zero chance EK actually had one. Any CC sold on EK will sell out in seconds. This is where internet speed actually matters because everyone checks out at the same time.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:32:45 »
They were for sale today. I got my hands on one even hours after they went up for sale because of a canceled order. Happy camper that I didn't have to pay $100 for it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 21:54:02 »
If that is really true, how did EK manage to get more of those? They were made months ago, and I would think no orders are held up for months. Did EK send out any newsletters?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 21:55:09 »
EK is CC's official distributor and as such they keep a small stock of CCs on hand to put up for sale here and there. I dont think they include such sales in their newsletter/updates.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 22:45:57 »
If they did, by the time they sent the newsletter out the caps would all be sold, and there would be a lot of informed but frustrated newsletter subscribers.

As it is, anyone lucky enough to look at the site just as some are available might get lucky if they can click quickly enough.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 22:46:51 »
Yeah - i think they only advertise large CC sales ahead of time, just not small one-offs like this.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 22:49:43 »
They have "large" CC sales?  How many key caps would that involve?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:03:52 »
3 per person max usually

Offline Glissant

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:33:25 »
I've gotten nine order confirmations from elitekeyboards. Is that something that usually happens from them?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:45:55 »
Yeah - i think they only advertise large CC sales ahead of time, just not small one-offs like this.
They have "large" CC sales?  How many key caps would that involve?
3 per person max usually

Heh, no, I meant how many CC key caps would EK get in order to start a "large" sale?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:49:10 »
I've gotten nine order confirmations from elitekeyboards. Is that something that usually happens from them?

If you end up with 9 CCs, can I buy one from you?  ;D

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Clack Factory "3D" Skull Keycap (Topre) in stock
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 01:04:40 »

I emailed Brian about it and they seem to have ceased.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 01:05:39 »

I just stopped buying anything from that person.  He's a flake.  On his website states that nothing shall be sold to Australia......what the hell is that?

Yet he provides a link to the details relating to sending stuff to Oceania which is where we are located.  That guy seems to have serious issues, and I stopped handing over hundreds of dollars to him, as of now.

For me anyway, Topre has now been put away in a cupboard while I concentrate on my CherryMX and Model M collection.  At least there is no worry about some weird person controlling all distribution of a single product to the public. In fact he seems to garner all the attributes of Seinfeld's infamous 'Soup Nazi'.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 01:11:30 by Elrick »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 01:43:44 »

I just stopped buying anything from that person.  He's a flake.  On his website states that nothing shall be sold to Australia......what the hell is that?

Yet he provides a link to the details relating to sending stuff to Oceania which is where we are located.  That guy seems to have serious issues, and I stopped handing over hundreds of dollars to him, as of now.

For me anyway, Topre has now been put away in a cupboard while I concentrate on my CherryMX and Model M collection.  At least there is no worry about some weird person controlling all distribution of a single product to the public. In fact he seems to garner all the attributes of Seinfeld's infamous 'Soup Nazi'.

This is Elite Keyboards?  Where does it say they do not ship to Australia?

Their FAQ specifically states that they do ship to Australia, and New Zealand.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 01:56:09 »
This is Elite Keyboards?  Where does it say they do not ship to Australia?

Their FAQ specifically states that they do ship to Australia, and New Zealand.

On the 26th at around 10:37PM Perth, Western Australia time I logged into Elite Keyboards looking to purchase two coloured Topre Keysets and in the window just above Add to Cart I got this message in Red "No shipping to Australia" due to agreements with local distributors.  THAT Freaked me out.

Also I couldn't select my country for distribution, that's when I realized that this company is weird.  So I just dropped the order and left.  I wasn't surprised because we are dealing with that type of individual.  I once asked innocently why we couldn't get a particular coloured keycap from him which has actually never been available for sale off his site for more than 6 months now.  And he sent the most nasty email detailing why I shouldn't expect any product or service, due to the low numbers of people out there that have bought a Topre keyboard.  What the hell........

It was time to just leave.....and do so quite quickly.  Because handing over any more money will only help to exacerbate his behaviour.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:01:19 »
Brian has demonstrated time and time again that he is reliable, trustworthy and quick to resolve conflicts. he has contracts with companies that don't want him to sell in AUS (probably because there's already a distributor in or near AUS). That is only a stiplulation of the distribution rights, not a personal vendetta against Australians. You specifically mention 'agreements with local distributors'. It's not a mafia blockade, it's how business works.
You jumped in this thread to ***** about something entirely unrelated in an entirely unhelpful way. It's unbecoming.

You sound like a ****ing jackass complaining like this. Stop whining.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:03:42 by sth »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:09:23 »
Brian has demonstrated time and time again that he is reliable, trustworthy and quick to resolve conflicts. he has contracts with companies that don't want him to sell in AUS (probably because there's already a distributor in or near AUS). That is only a stiplulation of the distribution rights, not a personal vendetta against Australians. You specifically mention 'agreements with local distributors'. It's not a mafia blockade, it's how business works.
You jumped in this thread to ***** about something entirely unrelated in an entirely unhelpful way. It's unbecoming.

Umm, the only distributor here in Australia is PCCG and they ONLY sell their keyboards, nothing else.  Answer me why are key-caps classed as non distributed material under their so-called rules and regulations?

I'm not buying any keyboards off him, not anymore.  Simply because I don't believe in relying on ONE sole distributor to hold power over all Topre distribution to the outside world.  Sorry to cause offense to your version of free-discussion relating to this.  But isn't freedom of speech an international requirement not just a US phenomenon, for the world wide web?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:13:44 by Elrick »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:15:49 »

Umm, the only distributor here in Australia is PCCG and they ONLY sell their keyboards, nothing else.  Answer me why are key-caps classed as non distributed material under their so-called rules and regulations?

I'm not buying any keyboards off him, not anymore.  Simply because I don't believe in relying on ONE sole distributor to hold power over all Topre distribution to the outside world.  Sorry to cause offense to your version of free-discussion relating to this.  But isn't freedom of speech an international requirement not just a US phenomenon, for the world wide web?

He doesn't hold the world wide distributorship, if others want to set up national distributions then they are more than welcome to, don't blame the lack of demand on Brian.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:16:39 »
Again, and for the last time, Topre sets the rules. Topre makes the keyboards. Topre makes the keys. Topre decides who sells them and where. 

You don't like it? Take it up with them. Don't come in here to stir up ****.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:28:47 »
And what about Clacks Factory skull keys?  If EK is his exclusive distributor (as I read somewhere here), can Aussies buy those from EK?

If there is an Australian distributor for the skull keys please let me know!!!

It usually doesn't make sense for Aussies to buy keyboards from overseas anyway as shipping is generally $60..$70, but buying key caps from overseas (US/EU for eaxmple) would make sense.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:30:04 »
He doesn't hold the world wide distributorship, if others want to set up national distributions then they are more than welcome to, don't blame the lack of demand on Brian.

"Lack of Demand" doesn't that entail encouraging the buying public to purchase the product by providing a "service".  This was just since last Sunday when you get behaviour that shows the opposite in that regards.  I'm not here telling everyone not to buy anything from him, because there is a "so-called" small amount of buyers still wanting to use Topre keyboards/keycaps here on Geekhack.

Maybe he (Brian) is so upset with that who knows, but if you want to encourage others to use your service you do not berate and belittle the customers, thinking that it will promote increased sales.  It's usually the opposite way of turning an income, simple business 101.

Because the world is now in a recession, I suspect that the OLD way of doing things including negative (Soup-Nazi) behaviour towards people needs to end.  If you want increased sales you need to take the initiative and make friends.  Making friends helps to sell any product to anyone.  That is why the old business model of being nasty towards people will only produce negative results.  Being positive will only produce positive results.  Brian needs to be more positive with his attitude and be more inclusive with his business dealings that will help to keep his head above the waters of bankruptcy and promote the use of Realforce keyboards throughout the world TODAY.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:46:12 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:56:39 »
To help promote the use of Realforce in general, has anyone tried to get a Group Buy in custom designed Key-caps going with Brian?  Just thought of putting that out there, not cause a riot or stir things up, but to get more interest in his products and help him to increase his sales.

I'm not trying to be funny here........

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Clack Factory "3D" Skull Keycap (Topre) in stock
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 02:59:29 »
^ 002 and guess what he said no
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 09:31:50 »
So what you guys are saying is that if I keep checking back, there's a chance they'll have some stock and I can get one?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 09:56:48 »
Pretty much, dorkvader :).

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 10:12:01 »
Yes, there might be different ones as well, depending on how many duplicates were placed and how many people did not follow the rules of the 3/customer and no duplicates.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D