Author Topic: custom keycaps for backlit keyboards?  (Read 18350 times)

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
custom keycaps for backlit keyboards?
« on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 13:58:34 »
does anyone know what if any custom keycaps are available for keyboards with backlit/led lighting?

i've been looking around and there doesn't seem to be much variety.

i've found jelly POM keys that would look good since the light can shine thru like these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330758397680?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

but not much else. was wondering if anyone else has any ideas where to look. im thinking of things like the novelty keys etc we can get now but with the design made to let the light thru so the light becomes the design.

maybe i should look into getting them made if there isn't any available lol

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: custom keycaps for backlit keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 14:02:46 »
Qwerkeys seem to be able able to do some caps :)

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 14:13:13 »
Qwerkeys seem to be able able to do some caps :)

cool i'll have to check them out, so they do custom designs etc as well? sounds interesting.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 15:13:46 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 07:52:11 »
These?

thanks thats awesome!! exactly what im thinking we just need more keys like these lol.

does anyone know how to get these made?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 16:58:09 »
I can't comment on how to make them, but with more backlit keyboards appearing on the market, hopefully we will start to see more backlightable key caps too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kronen

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 18:12:53 »
Those are beautiful!  I'm contacting them to see if they put anything else out.  Thanks for the tip!!

Edit: talking about the maxK ones..  The qwerky's I just can't wrap my head around...  They just wouldn't look good with any color backlit other than white, and the backlight would bleach and overpower the legend...  And on top of that, the keys will look lopsided as far as the backlight goes because the light only hits the upper half of the keys on nearly ALL led enabled keyboards.  I'm cautiously pessimistic on that product until I see them in action... 
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 18:19:07 by Kronen »
Interested in some O-Rings? Try mine: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33329.0

Offline Joe221

• I'm new here!! Have pity.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 00:23:49 »
I bought the Max Keyboard set for my Durandal. Great quality, love 'em. Hoping they do more. I mentioned them in another thread.

Joe in Los Angeles

Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:45:59 »
Does anyone know if the Pom jellies are available in 37 packs? and with writing?
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 20:51:47 »
Does anyone know if the Pom jellies are available in 37 packs? and with writing?

Maybe follow/ask here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=30405.0