Author Topic: tell me a game that needs full nkro  (Read 4062 times)

Offline battet

tell me a game that needs full nkro
« on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 15:55:27 »
actuali im in a dilema between ducky and razer     i really like blue swichtes that gloooows  :cool:
just wonder if 6kro really is that bad as some of  you people say :)

Offline Velma

Re: tell me a game that needs full nkro
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 16:03:06 »
both ducky and razer have boards with blue switches and backlight :) but the difference is BW is built in glossy plastic that absorbs dirt while ducky is plated and sturdy as a rock.

Offline Velma

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 16:05:12 »
and if you like eyecandy ducky shine is one of the most beautiful backlit boards out there

Offline bisl

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 16:05:48 »
In star control 2, if you have two players in a supermelee, each will be using five keys for their ships, which could in theory result in as many as eight keys at a time (since both right and left simultaneously is unlikely).

Also, slightly more relevantly, if you play Dark Souls via Steam without a usb game pad, you'll be using the keyboard in all likelihood since it's decent and the mouse implementation is reportedly terrible. This could easily result in more than 6KRO if you're strafing, camera-looking, and attacking/kicking/dodging/iteming/whatever-else-ing at the same time.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 17:07:55 »
Many games with oldschool, 2+ people-on-the-same-computer multiplayer can break 6 keys at once.

For games where you're the only one on the computer, you might break the 6 key barrier if it's the sort of game that's controlled entirely through the keyboard. You could probably do it in NAEV, for instance. Also, music games come to mind, where you're basically playing chords-- which may contain more than six notes-- on the keyboard.

Another thing to keep in mind when thinking about rollover is the possibility of accidental keypresses, where you wind up pressing both the keys you want and some other key or keys nearby, because your finger landed in between instead of directly on the key. If your keyboard has low rollover, the accidental extra keys can then block a desired key from registering.

Finally, at least some versions of the BlackWidow are not even 6KRO, but only 2KRO with a so-called "gaming-optimized matrix". Here's some information.

Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 17:18:55 »
Oh! Also keep in mind that there are other keyboards out there (to pick just a few more or less at random) that can be had with a backlight and blue switches. Just in case you're interested in exploring other options.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline battet

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 17:32:13 »
both ducky and razer have boards with blue switches and backlight :) but the difference is BW is built in glossy plastic that absorbs dirt while ducky is plated and sturdy as a rock.

erm sorry to ask silly question but what is the diffrend between a plated keyboard and BWU

Offline mich

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 22:43:43 »
There is no such game.

It wouldn't sell because 99,<some number of 9s>% of keyboards on the market are simple rubber domes with deghosting logic limiting them to 2KRO.

Keyboard controls are always designed with their limitations in mind.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:21:29 »
Arma2? When I kneel down, lean behind a wall, aim down sight, move left and right, push to talk on TS or bring up ACE menu.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 00:27:41 »
There is no such game.

It wouldn't sell because 99,<some number of 9s>% of keyboards on the market are simple rubber domes with deghosting logic limiting them to 2KRO.

I've been playing frets on fire (Like guitar hero, but with a keyboard) for years, and I was pleased when, only recently, I could play my game holding down three and four (and five!) note chords.

Such a game does exist, and has existed since 2006 at the latest (When I started playing it)

Offline nullstring

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 08:37:45 »
There is no such game.

I've been playing frets on fire (Like guitar hero, but with a keyboard) for years, and I was pleased when, only recently, I could play my game holding down three and four (and five!) note chords.

Such a game does exist, and has existed since 2006 at the latest (When I started playing it)

Frets on fire needs more than 6KRO?

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 08:55:23 »
Many games with oldschool, 2+ people-on-the-same-computer multiplayer can break 6 keys at once.

For games where you're the only one on the computer, you might break the 6 key barrier if it's the sort of game that's controlled entirely through the keyboard. You could probably do it in NAEV, for instance. Also, music games come to mind, where you're basically playing chords-- which may contain more than six notes-- on the keyboard.

Another thing to keep in mind when thinking about rollover is the possibility of accidental keypresses, where you wind up pressing both the keys you want and some other key or keys nearby, because your finger landed in between instead of directly on the key. If your keyboard has low rollover, the accidental extra keys can then block a desired key from registering.

Finally, at least some versions of the BlackWidow are not even 6KRO, but only 2KRO with a so-called "gaming-optimized matrix". Here's some information.

The Black Widow has 10 key rollover in gaming mode. Saying it only has 2KRO is wrong and that article is misleading.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:00:30 by ra7c7er »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:27:26 »
There is no such game.

Upon reflection, it actually doesn't. I mean, you could, in theory, activate "star power"/"overdrive" while strumming a 5 note chord, but in practise, this would be an unlikely event.

Also FoF was designed for more than just a normal RD keyboard. They have the optional functionality for if one uses a different controller, or a keyborad with NKRO. That was my point in posting.

About the Razer BW: I'm almost certain the older version has 2KRO (Also, why would sixty lie about that?). I do remember them updating the newer one with diodes, etc. That old article didn't look misleading to me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:55:57 by dorkvader »

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 12:07:28 »
There is no such game.

Upon reflection, it actually doesn't. I mean, you could, in theory, activate "star power"/"overdrive" while strumming a 5 note chord, but in practise, this would be an unlikely event.

Also FoF was designed for more than just a normal RD keyboard. They have the optional functionality for if one uses a different controller, or a keyborad with NKRO. That was my point in posting.

About the Razer BW: I'm almost certain the older version has 2KRO (Also, why would sixty lie about that?). I do remember them updating the newer one with diodes, etc. That old article didn't look misleading to me.

Quoting a two year old article about current product is misleading. starting in 2011 Razer started using diodes and had 10 KRO so that article stating the Black Widow only has 2KRO is wrong and misleading and has been for nearly 2 years now. It either needs to be updated with relevant current information or not used as factual information. I never said he lied about it I'm just stating that that information is no longer relevant to current product and has been obsolete for over a year now.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 12:29:27 »
Friend bought BWU within this last year, and it has a 'optimized' matrix on the left side of the keyboard BUT it still fails some keycombos, and is 2KRO overall. The stealth had the improvements not the standard and ultimate models. Which is why Razer is making noise for the new impoved 2013 version and tournament editions.

As far as games, there are a lot of older games that would need nkro like some of the earlier shooters that did not have mouselook which required use of cursor keys in use at same time as movement keys.