Author Topic: What would you choose ?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
What would you choose ?
« on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 13:30:04 »
Hi everyone :)

Sadly, my computer seems to be dying pretty fast (although it never ran perfectly), it’s getting worse everyday. (As of now, it reboots even though I didn’t do a single thing on it, the USB ports aren’t working anymore, etc ...)
I could just swap components, as it is a RIG, but I seriously want to swap for a laptop, as I'm practically not playing anymore, and move more than before !
So I need your opinion on this please :

I thought about getting a MacBook for quite a long time now, probably an Air 13 if so, because of the increased mobility, and because I really like the 13/14¨ format.
The major con is the price, even though I don’t have a real limit (okay, maybe no more than $1850, which makes it 1500 Euros for me here).

I also thought about getting a better «spec’ed» laptop, in the same price range, such as a Sony Vaio S/Z, a Lenovo X-something, or even an Ultrabook maybe.

What to know is that :
  • I already have a SSD and a 1To 2.5¨ HDD, that could be used externally, so I have no need to get these from manufacturer if needed.
  • I would be using either MacOS if getting a MacBook, or Linux if getting anything, no Windows anymore for now.
  • I would probably be keeping that laptop quite a few years[/b], so a good warranty is a plus, as well as an upgrade possibility, as we never know. (but I heard/read Macs kept up well, even a few years later, so no big deal for those, contrary to other laptops)

I would really appreciate your opinion about this, if you have some spare time to spend :p
Feel free to add/ask whatever might be useful !

Thanks in advance :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 14:41:23 by Anynoupy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: What would you choose ?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 17:12:02 »
Macs tend to hold their price better (look at eBay), so in a few years you could sell it for a reasonable price to upgrade to the next model, if you wanted to.

Personally I would get the MBA.

The only thing is the lack of ethernet port, unless you already have wifi.  But you can get a USB adaptor for that.  Which means you would probably need a USB hub too.

AppleCare should give you a three year warranty, but check your local Apple terms and conditions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 17:32:53 »
Thanks for your answer :)

Yes, I saw that, that's the main reason why I want to go for a NIB from Apple, because the price difference isn't that interesting for me (being a student, so having the appropriate ~7/8% off).

And I would get the 8Gb upgrade, as well as the Ethernet to USB adapter, and the HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter ;)

Exactly, I would be getting 3 years of warranty, probably more than enough for me :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 17:36:51 »
Vaios look OK (better than most PC laptops IMO, other than pre-2010 thinkpads) but the build quality and choice of components is seriously some of the worst in the industry. Linux can be a major hassle to get working on some VAIOs... if you are not an anti-Mac dork I'd say the MBA is the way to go :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 17:43:34 »
Thanks for your answer !
Yup, read about it after posting actually, Linux seems to be a nightmare on the S/Z :(
I'm really not an anti-Mac, as I appreciate using it when I can, and was thinking about getting one (well, the price prevented me all that time) :D

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 21:42:58 »
if you're into linux for the geek factor, don't forget OS X comes with a 'decent' terminal emulator running bash out of the box, and there are multiple ports systems out there (homebrew seems to be the choice du jour).

if you're looking for more advanced terminal features, iterm2 is where it's at :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 22:42:54 »
Or, if you like old school keyboard (and who doesn't?), then maybe Cathode will be to your liking.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:32:24 »
ugh try using that for more than an hour with flicker enabled.
unlike keyboards, i prefer newer displays to old :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:43:36 »
You can tweak the settings to minimise the flicker, but the free version will gradually get worse no matter what you do.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:48:10 »
yeah. it's a funny novelty but as far as serious terminal work goes i'd pass on it :)

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 02:42:49 »
thinkpad or dell lattitude !

I hate apple.

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 03:37:13 »
Ah ah, that Cathode Terminal seems quite nice, but indeed not eye-friendly :D

I'm more on Linux for its lightweight side actually, but still like to use Terminal when I can !
Thank you guys :)

Djuzuh -> Thanks for your answer !
Thinkpads seem nice, but I'm not a big fan of Dell.
But I think I'm going for MBA anyway.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 04:28:46 »
Cathode is definitely a novelty, but it has a full-screen mode, so if you connect a Mac to an old CRT monitor, connect an old school keyboard and run Cathode in full screen, you could theoretically be productive and everyone will wonder why you are using an old ASCII terminal.

But anyway.

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:46:54 »
Just to say, got myself a White MB (Mid-2010), as I preferred to go on and spare some money (Got it for 350 Euros, although they usually sell for 600 here :) ).
And I'm really happy about it, as it's enough for me now, and almost perfect for my use.

Thanks again guys for helping me out ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 00:25:39 »
Excellent!  I liked the look of the white ones, until the aluminium ones came along heh ;)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 00:57:15 »
Thinkpad

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 19:23:37 »
Excellent!  I liked the look of the white ones, until the aluminium ones came along heh ;)
Thanks ! :)
I still like them a bit more than the Alu ones, for they are less common now :p