Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage LF + mods or CM Storm Quickfire Pro  (Read 1594 times)

Offline deadghost

Kinesis Advantage LF + mods or CM Storm Quickfire Pro
« on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 23:03:09 »
For my first mechanical keyboard I can either get the Kinesis Advantage mx red for around $300 and mod it with sorbathane and o-ring to reduce ping or CM Storm Quickfire Pro for $52 shipped.

Link if anyone is interested: http://www.officemax.com/technology/keyboard-mouse-accessories/gaming-keyboards-and-mice/product-prod4110372?cm_mmc=Performics-_free&affcode=performics&siteID=k3787
Coupon code: BIGDEALS

I already shipped back the advantage with mx browns because of the loud pings. Kinesis said it was totally normal. I really like the kinesis layout but the feel is pretty meh and the pings are a major concern. On the other hand, for the price of one kinesis I can get 6x quickfire pros. I can even get one of each color and it'd still be half the price of a kinesis.

high price + ergonomics + eh feel VS low price + ???
Thoughts?

Offline swagpiratex

Re: Kinesis Advantage LF + mods or CM Storm Quickfire Pro
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 23:08:13 »
$300 and major mods sounds like a headache to me. Juss' sayin.

You could get the CMQFR and a set of nice keys for less. And it'd do 90% of what the kinesis does. Up to you to decide whether that last 10% is worth the squeeze.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 03:59:53 »
$300 and major mods sounds like a headache to me. Juss' sayin.

You could get the CMQFR and a set of nice keys for less. And it'd do 90% of what the kinesis does. Up to you to decide whether that last 10% is worth the squeeze.

I don't think that's really a fair comparison at all. Trying to decide between a Kinesis and a Quickfire is one of those apples vs oranges things, we're not talking about minor differences. And not to attack swagpiratex or anything, but I don't think that's a statement coming from someone who's tried a Kinesis, though I don't know for sure.

I don't get terrible pain or anything while using a flat keyboard, but after awhile I may feel a little something in my wrist, not enough that I would be worried about it, just a tiny bit of soreness from holding my wrist at the angle needed for a keyboard. With the Kinesis I never get this feeling, it's extremely comfortable for use.

Also the Kinesis lets you do several things that flat keyboards do not, such as stay near the main key cluster all the time, because the arrows and six pack are reachable from your resting position. You can also reprogram the keys and move them to anywhere you please, which I actually make pretty good use of.

If you have a good reason to consider the Kinesis (worried about ergonomics or like the efficient button placement), then I would easily recommend it. If you are just getting a mechanical keyboard because you think they're cool (since this is your first one), then a quickfire would probably be fine.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline deadghost

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 05:20:53 »
I decided to get the quickfire and reevaluate whether I want a kinesis or other expensive ergonomic board at a later date. Until now I've been on a thinkpad so I became accustomed to scissor switches. When I finally got a desktop and used a rubber dome for the first time in ages, it felt like the hand equivalent of hearing chalk rub against a chalk board(I really really hate that sound). So that'd be the reason for wanting a mech.

Anecdotally, the people I know have mech kbs more often than not. Because of that it seems to me mech kbs are gaining traction and there will be more viable alternatives to the kinesis advantage and the maltron. The uTron, TrulyErgonomic, and ErgoDox come to mind.

I don't mind using a decent non-ergo mech for a year or two and checking what the ergo landscape is like at that time. (Both the uTron and ErgoDox look REALLY nice right now but $500+ isn't my budget)

Anyways, swagpiratex makes a compelling point. $300 and mods sounds like a pain in the ass especially when something younger and sexier might supersede it. oneproduct also makes a good point but I use vim key bindings for everything anyways, I just wanted the additional marginal ergonomics to my already ergonomic way of doing things.

tl;dr: Getting the quickfire

Offline Lummeh

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 05:46:25 »
Not really relevant anymore since you've already decided on your keyboard, but that is quickfire rapid, not a pro. Just a heads up! :)

Offline stingrae

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 06:16:17 »
Not really relevant anymore since you've already decided on your keyboard, but that is quickfire rapid, not a pro. Just a heads up! :)
Rapid is a better choice anyway :p better quallity.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid