Author Topic: Key Cap Profile Discussion  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Kalmarauder

Key Cap Profile Discussion
« on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 21:30:37 »
I'll refer to the rows according to this image.

I recently got a Filco TenKeyPad for left hand number entry. The back row of keys has row F key caps like in the linked image. I replaced all the key caps with some from WASD Keyboards which gave the back keys the row E profile. I used it like that for a week and I was finding it a little bit difficult to press them. Just now I changed it back to the default key caps and I'm finding it much easier. I think I might find it easier to press the front keys too if they had row A key caps instead of row B.

Why is it that most modern keyboards don't use unique key profiles for the front and back rows?

Offline jeroplane

Re: Key Cap Profile Discussion
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 23:32:27 »
What row keys did you buy from WASD (i.e. according to WASD's row system)?

I'm pretty sure most modern keyboards DO use unique profiles for the front and back.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Kalmarauder

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 05:23:27 »
This is the TenKeyPad. Notice it has 2 1x1 keys, "0" and "00", where a 1x2 "0" key would normally be, and it has 4 extra keys at the back row. I bought a 104 key set of blank white key caps from WASD plus 2 "row 1" (B) key caps, and 4 "row 4" (E) key caps. If you look at the key cap profiles on the keyboard, row E and F (the Esc and ~ rows) have the same profile, but the TenKeyPad has a taller row F. Here's a comparison between the Esc key from the keyboard and the TenKeyPad. WASD doesn't sell "row 5" keys.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 11:46:18 »
deck 82 or w/e it is

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 12:57:18 »
Deck use 100% R1 flat profile keys... maybe you were thinking of Race? Race and the newer Oni are the only other boards I know of in production that uses the extra tall profile for the Function row. It can be found on many vintage keyboards though.
Some old Cherry have this as well as a different profile on the bottom row modifiers than on the shift row so every row actually has it's own profile.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 12:59:34 by lysol »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 13:41:03 »
I thought deck used Row3 (AOEUIDHTNS-row) keycaps? Some of the kinesis thumb keys are also the "extra-tall" row profile. Looks like we can add the filco numpad to that list.

I would just use a normal function row keycap for it. ON a "normal" keyboard the top two rows (function and number row) have the same profile, and it works out well, there.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 13:49:09 »
The TG3 BL82 version I have was all top row not home row. I considered keeping the annoying 1.5 1! key along with the Cherry doubleshots I put on that board, but I didn't like it. It just looked really funny with one backlight style legend only.
If they would have been all home row, I probably would have just left it alone as it would have felt less sh!t to type on.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 03:28:11 »
Does anyone know if the imsto described OEM key caps have the same low profile of the Signature Plastics or original Cherry keys? Or if they are higher like Filco and such.
He says OEM fits on Filco, but SP and Cherry also fit of couse ^^ They certainly look lower to me on his pictures (which would be good in my case).

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 09:20:38 »
'OEM' profile is Filco/Ducky/etc...taller style height.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 10:40:37 »
My Kinesis has the top row 'OEM' profile keys for Ctrl, Alt and Windows keys. I find them to be too high. There is more wobble and more friction on off-centre key presses.
I have some vintage Cherry keys with row A profile, and I find the front edge to be too high and too sharp. By the way, the figure shows the space bar on row A, which has a smaller and more round profile other other keys. I have filed down a row A key to match the space bar, so I know what I am talking about.
🍉

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 13:08:03 »
The only Cherry A profile keys I will deal with are my original RGB set just because they look so good. Otherwise I am not a huge fan either, same reason I don't like SP DCS profile R4. I really didn't like the F profile keys I had either. I defineatly prefer the more modern style where they use two rows of E on top and 2 B on the bottom. Most people don't use the high setting on feet for the keyboard which is the only position the much drastic angle on the bottom seems to be designed for.