Author Topic: Need a good keyboard recommendation  (Read 1959 times)

Offline WhipeeDip

Need a good keyboard recommendation
« on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:53:03 »
I want a good rubber dome keyboard recommendation. I don't have the money to shell out for a mechanical, so I'd like some recommendations for rubber domes. Preferably with a nice standard layout (I hate keyboards with messed up layouts) and the best tactile feel a rubber dome keyboard can get.

I heard the Dell Quiet Key was good for a rubber dome, found one new for $15 on eBay (RT7D5JTW). Any other recommendations?

My current WPM is about 70-90.

I probably do like 75% typing and 25% gaming.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 01:29:35 by WhipeeDip »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Re: Need a good keyboard recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 04:18:12 »
You probably won't be doing too much wrong with a RT7D5JTW, given their reputation. (I'm guessing you've gone through past "what's a good rubber dome" threads.) Do keep in mind that nice and tactile rubber domes typically won't be super light. Speaking of NMB, their mechanical boards ("space invader" switches) should also be rather good if you can find one.

I also liked my BTC-made Packard Bell rubber dome board back in the day, before I moved to Model Ms. Maybe you can find one of these cheap without too much use on it (5131C and similar - older versions without Windows keys also exist).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 06:53:38 »
The Dell you mentioned is a very good one, also the IBM KB8923.

I have seen at least a dozen of each in second-hand shops for $5 or less in the past year, but look for ones that are not worn out.

The Compaq SK2800 is another very good one if you don't mind a slightly odd shape and media keys at the top.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 07:05:47 »
If you're super-pressed for cash, you can still get a mechanical, if you're willing to try a D07-135. It's ALPS and not exactly the best-made keyboard, but personally, I'd take it over a rubber dome for sure.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 08:42:10 »
That is interesting - a ridiculously cheap price for a mechanical with USB flexibility.

What Alps does it use, and have you used it?
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 08:54:30 »
You can get a proper mechanical keyboard for pretty cheap if you look. I recently got some TG3 BL82's for $10 shipped. Access-IS routinely go for under $20 on the UK ebay (and sometimes in the USA) and even cherry G80-1800's (and others in that line) go for pretty cheap.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:00:52 »
That is interesting - a ridiculously cheap price for a mechanical with USB flexibility.

What Alps does it use, and have you used it?

I owned one!

Mine had tactile, non-clicky black ALPS:

The switches have ALPS branding, which is almost (but not quite) visible in this image:

I've heard from searching around on the 'net that some of them have white StrongMan switches instead of the black ALPS (might vary by color). The black ALPS were quite nice...definitely preferable to the green XMs in the Ducky 1008XM I had previously. Eventually, though, I got tired of the D07's 2KRO and killed it in a failed attempt to swap its switches into the remains of the Ducky.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104