Author Topic: Incredible software that needs more exposure  (Read 28475 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Incredible software that needs more exposure
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 18:46:43 »
I just use the Windows search bar in the start menu. I don't have any problems with it...though Launchy does look cool!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 18:50:30 »
How about terminal emulators? I'm a big fan of iTerm and terminator but I wish there was a way to integrate them with my sublime text.

just learn vim :)

iterm2 is probably the best terminal emulator option on OS X outside of the native app and any x11 terminal emulators out there.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 20:29:18 »
So much love for Dropbox, but I hate it compared to Google Drive. I can view and edit my files on foreign computers without downloading anything and everything (well, select parts here and there) between my server, desktop, and laptop.
FileZilla is pretty awesome, too, for managing my FTP server files that don't go through Google Drive for size and usage frequency reasons.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:54:15 »
I really need an FTP server! Thanks for reminding me!

Offline Redndwhite

Re: Re: Incredible software that needs more exposure
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 23:21:55 »
I <3 Vim :)

But *nix is well known.  My must-have list for Windows

Notepad++ (#1)
PuTTY (#2)
WinMerge
...among other programming tools, and this gem that most people probably have never heard of...
Agent Ransack (basically grep for windows)

Firefox
Thunderbird
VLC Media Player
7zip

Notepad ++ is a life saver, use it all time time at work.

Gonna go a step further, superputty. You won't go back.
WASD -  Cherry MX Red

Custom keys to come. Soon

Offline NKRO

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 23:26:25 »
So much love for Dropbox, but I hate it compared to Google Drive. I can view and edit my files on foreign computers without downloading anything and everything (well, select parts here and there) between my server, desktop, and laptop.
Depends what you're looking to sync it with. Virtually no iOS apps have support for Google Drive, when a ton have support for Dropbox built in.

Offline nolliepoper

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 23:46:50 »
I can't live without, SciTE. So I thought I would share it, and I prefer it over notepad++.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 00:39:52 »
I really need an FTP server! Thanks for reminding me!
same thing iwas thinking any interest in shareing one or something like that?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 00:46:41 »
I can't live without, SciTE. So I thought I would share it, and I prefer it over notepad++.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
ive sceen scintilla before though i for get in what form what is it?

Offline Viz

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 07:26:58 »
How about terminal emulators? I'm a big fan of iTerm and terminator but I wish there was a way to integrate them with my sublime text.

just learn vim :)

iterm2 is probably the best terminal emulator option on OS X outside of the native app and any x11 terminal emulators out there.

I'm quite sure URXVT works on OS X.

Offline mattrm

• matthewmoore.org.uk
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 15:16:57 »
For IRC clients you want to run irssi and byobu (or screen, or tmux, but byobu is better imo).

Linux folk, check out autojump and terminator is a good terminal.  I also really like using zsh, with the oh-my-zsh customisations.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 16:27:26 »
I run xchat through ZNC. I do need to get a better IRC client though. Any recommendations for Android?

Offline slueth

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 05:50:51 »
also, if you don't already know about them: screen, irssi, awesome (a window manager), arch linux (a linux distro), ...
+1 love it! make sure you get meat-git, makes getting stuff from AUR easy.

Offline 486

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 06:08:52 »
Blender, Paint.Net, Net Beans IDE, and Vegas Pro 11. I use Vegas Pro 11 all the time editing vids, much easier for me to use that Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 12:09:02 »
Rainlendar + Dropbox for across desktops calendar/reminder sync.

http://lifehacker.com/5260747/use-dropbox-to-synchronize-multiple-rainlendar-calendars
Keyboardless

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 13:41:47 »
If you encode i have lists of great programs but their very specialized.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 13:43:34 »
Launchy is another favourite of mine.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:01:33 »
I use Teamviewer about once a week to rescue my incompetent boss.

Google Docs was our go-to place but Drive drives me insane.
Is it just me or is it insanely more difficult to navigate and control?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:38:29 »
For the networking control freaks like me, you should also take a look at NetLimiter (windows).
It has process-by-process bandwidth viewing, control and logging. Also has a built-in firewall and remote control for other instances.
This way, you can keep track, control and measure bit-by-bit connections at home or shared connection.
I use it to know exactly what kind of process is communicating and how much of my bw cap I've used.

http://www.netlimiter.com/

They offer free, obviously limited, versions and also paid ones.

Looks like after a long silence period they decided to get back in business and recently announced the fourth version.
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:07:27 »
Wow netlimiter still around, eh?  I used that way back when.

These days all I need are ipfilter and altq in the NetBSD kernel  ;D

Offline NKRO

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:13:46 »
Thanks for posting that. I have been looking for something like that for ages after missing Little Snitch when switching back to Windows from OS X.

Offline vbrenny

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:35:14 »
Thanks for posting that. I have been looking for something like that for ages after missing Little Snitch when switching back to Windows from OS X.

From what I've seen on the site, NetLimiter doesn't seem to be so intuitive and user-friendly, but it is pretty advanced when it comes to features.
If you're going to buy it, I'd recommend doing this now - you can get the price of the old version and still get an upgrade when the new version comes out.
Usually, they are launched 10~15 bucks more expensive than the previous version.

Offline tillertow

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:42:04 »
Even thought its pricetag is a bit against it, Directory Opus is probably my best software purchase so far.

It's a file manager with every option you can think of, and is the most customizable file manager yet!
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline vbrenny

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:28:37 »
WOW!
Just trying Dopus and this guy is a real lifechanger!

@tillertow Thanks a lot !

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:42:57 »
I do some recovery, etc. at work, so I can't help but recommend:
NT Offline Reset (If you forget your windows password, or need to get into a computer for some reason)
Testdisk/photorec (For recovering partitions and files, respectively. Photorec does take forever to run on a HDD, though.)
Slitaz linux (35mb, runs in RAM. I use linux mainly for file copy, and this boots quickly and frees up a USB port. Booting mint into RAM takes minutes.)

I use Geany]http://www.geany.org/]Geany for text-editing, 'cause it came with my OS. I prefer it to gedit, once I installed the spellcheck plugin.

---
I do NOT recommend VLC. I've been using it for years, and it's always been horrible. For some reason it plays the audio and video at different speeds, so every few minutes, I have to pause/unpause to resynch them. I've had this problem on multiple computers (5 at least) and multiple OS's. I also have issues with decoding audio, both FLAC and MP3. I only use windows for media nowadays, and have been using SMplayer (Mplayer frontend) in the meantime, though I will look at other suggestions here. I will look into cccp and mpc-hc, though, since smplayer wants to crash every once in a while (like 10% of the time, maybe).

Wizmouse looks good, I'll have to look into that for sure.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:16:04 »

From what I've seen on the site, NetLimiter doesn't seem to be so intuitive and user-friendly, but it is pretty advanced when it comes to features.
If you're going to buy it, I'd recommend doing this now - you can get the price of the old version and still get an upgrade when the new version comes out.
Usually, they are launched 10~15 bucks more expensive than the previous version.
You're right, it doesn't seem like this is what I was looking for after all.

Offline vbrenny

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:46:05 »

Really?
I used to control all the processes who were trying to upload anything, and this way I've found uploads that should not happen. Twice.
I understood this was the main purpose of the Snitch. Maybe if you explain what you want to do I might be able to help.

I do some recovery, etc. at work, so I can't help but recommend:
NT Offline Reset (If you forget your windows password, or need to get into a computer for some reason)
Testdisk/photorec (For recovering partitions and files, respectively. Photorec does take forever to run on a HDD, though.)
Slitaz linux (35mb, runs in RAM. I use linux mainly for file copy, and this boots quickly and frees up a USB port. Booting mint into RAM takes minutes.)

I use Geany]http://www.geany.org/]Geany for text-editing, 'cause it came with my OS. I prefer it to gedit, once I installed the spellcheck plugin.

---
I do NOT recommend VLC. I've been using it for years, and it's always been horrible. For some reason it plays the audio and video at different speeds, so every few minutes, I have to pause/unpause to resynch them. I've had this problem on multiple computers (5 at least) and multiple OS's. I also have issues with decoding audio, both FLAC and MP3. I only use windows for media nowadays, and have been using SMplayer (Mplayer frontend) in the meantime, though I will look at other suggestions here. I will look into cccp and mpc-hc, though, since smplayer wants to crash every once in a while (like 10% of the time, maybe).

Wizmouse looks good, I'll have to look into that for sure.

When it comes to maintenance, I like Spinrite http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm   and also HBCD.http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Spinrite recovers data from almost any kind of physically damaged HD. If it spins and is recognized by the computer, it is almost certain that it will be able to recover data from it. OS-independent.

HBCD has absolutely everything you want to make maintenance. RAM Testing, File recovery, Antivirus, NTLDR fixer, all kinds of hardware testing and much more.

There was also an image called RoadRunner that had WinXP bootable, Linux bootable and also HBCD inside, but it has been long since I've seen the last version and now its HBCD is pretty old.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 11:04:36 »
Not exactly a software but the search engine:

http://duckduckgo.com/

is quite cool (besides the name and the logo which could have been both more catchy but that's just an opinion).

No tracking.  No cookies.  I'm beginning to use it more and more.

It's been mentioned here one or twice...
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 11:24:02 »

+1

Real privacy, no "search bubble", zero-click results, and !bang syntax searches.  I switched and never looked back.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 14:05:49 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:20:06 by davkol »

Offline Seltox

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 11:58:27 »
Programs that I need...

Windows
- PuTTY
-Eclipse

Ubuntu
-Drawers (Lets you 'group' programs together in the Unity Launcher thing.  Total lifesaver)

All of the operating systems!
-Mumble (recently started using Mumble in place of Ventrilo for VOIP stuff.  Big improvement, IMO)

Offline NKRO

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 18:41:40 »

Really?
I used to control all the processes who were trying to upload anything, and this way I've found uploads that should not happen. Twice.
I understood this was the main purpose of the Snitch. Maybe if you explain what you want to do I might be able to help.
I have now found something that is a lot more like what I wanted: Windows 7 Firewall Control.

The free version is enough for me, and while it doesn't have as nice an interface, or proper monitoring options compared to LittleSnitch, it's enough for me to control what applications can/can't upload things from my system with ease, and it does it through the built-in firewall, which is even better.

Not exactly a software but the search engine:

is quite cool (besides the name and the logo which could have been both more catchy but that's just an opinion).

No tracking.  No cookies.  I'm beginning to use it more and more.

It's been mentioned here one or twice...
I've tried DuckDuckGo and others such as Ixquick, or even more mainstream alternatives that have better privacy policies like Bing, but I've yet to find anything that is comparable to Google in terms of relevance and presentation. With other search engines, I am often looking through pages of results to find what I want.

That's not to say that Google is perfect, but any time I've done a comparison, or try forcing myself to use something else, I end up back with Google.

As far as privacy is concerned, you can't beat Firefox running:Some of these add-ons can be a bit of a nuisance when you first start using them before you have whitelisted things on the sites that you frequently visit, but it's also surprising to see just how many cross-site requests and scripts sites are running in the background that you would never have been aware of before.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:51:33 »
Bumpage.

Google Drive is just ridiculously flaky to me. I never had much problem with Google Docs, but Drive freezes and crashes pretty often, especially in spreadsheets.

Are any of you having these problems?

I set up our small business on Google Docs and it is very frustrating to lose reliability.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
    • http://www2.b3ta.com/mind-control/
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 02:46:53 »
I really like Augus Monitor http://www.argotronic.com/en/index.php, among other things it's a cpu/gpu/HD temp monitoring program, I like it because you can control the GPU fan speed manually without having to add a service.

Offline smoke070

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 14:35:38 »
Rainlendar + Dropbox for across desktops calendar/reminder sync.

http://lifehacker.com/5260747/use-dropbox-to-synchronize-multiple-rainlendar-calendars

I do this but with Google Drive, great stuff!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 17:34:18 »
My dad used to use Fences on his work laptop, seems a lot like Drawers, linked above.

Offline mztriz

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 10:01:48 »
Universal stuff I install on all my machines:
irssi
Dropbox
VLC
Vim
Gimp
Inkscape
Prey
Chrome
Steam
7zip
git

Windows:
Cygwin
Console2
Sandboxie (for those PDFs you're unsure of...)
QuickTime Alternative
Real Alternative
Exact Audio Copy
Virtual Clone Drive
Microsoft Security Essentials
CS6 Master Collection

OS X:
iTerm2
Growl
zsh
CS6 Master Collection

Other *nix:
Fluxbox
URXVT
zsh
growl

I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's generally what I install and use pretty regularly.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:23:30 »
Seriously people drop VLC and go with MPC-HC already...

Offline mztriz

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:21:05 »

As far as I am aware that software is windows only.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 00:24:34 »

As far as I am aware that software is windows only.
yep relies on directshow and depending how you have it setup direct3d also

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 07:44:05 »
VLC > MPCHC

I switched to VLC after MPC made me mad one too many times.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 16:12:06 »
VLC > MPCHC

Idk when you last used it buit now its far superior especially with it ability for external decoders

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 22:20:26 »
I put a tip of the hat to the KMAC program. Super easy to use!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 23:27:14 »
agreed as long as you dont have spaces in your directories

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 23:32:19 »
agreed as long as you dont have spaces in your directories
Lul!

Offline NKRO

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 23:34:55 »
VLC > MPCHC

VLC has a horrible interface, is bloated, and has a tendency to crash.
MPC-HC is light, has a nice UI, and is stable.

It requires some configuration, but if you disable the internal filters and combine it with LAV Filters, MadVR, and Reclock, you now have reference-quality video playback on your PC.

With the possible exception of broadcast-quality hardware scalers (tens of thousands of dollars) there is nothing comparable to madVR's scaling algorithms & implementation. Jinc 3 combined with the anti-ringing filter is better than anything else I have seen, including the Lumagen Radiance. (which only processes video in 4:2:2 resolution)
I'm not aware of anything else that can also play back both NTSC DVDs (59.94Hz) and PAL DVDs (50Hz) at the original film rate of 24fps. (Reclock in conjunction with MadVR does this) Most people only get 24p when playing back Blu-ray discs. (and even then, it's usually the slowed-down 23.976 fps used for legacy NTSC compatibility)

But if you don't want any configuration, maybe VLC is better. I've never used MPC-HC in its stock configuration.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 02:34:35 »
VLC > MPCHC

VLC has a horrible interface, is bloated, and has a tendency to crash.
MPC-HC is light, has a nice UI, and is stable.

It requires some configuration, but if you disable the internal filters and combine it with LAV Filters, MadVR, and Reclock, you now have reference-quality video playback on your PC.

With the possible exception of broadcast-quality hardware scalers (tens of thousands of dollars) there is nothing comparable to madVR's scaling algorithms & implementation. Jinc 3 combined with the anti-ringing filter is better than anything else I have seen, including the Lumagen Radiance. (which only processes video in 4:2:2 resolution)
I'm not aware of anything else that can also play back both NTSC DVDs (59.94Hz) and PAL DVDs (50Hz) at the original film rate of 24fps. (Reclock in conjunction with MadVR does this) Most people only get 24p when playing back Blu-ray discs. (and even then, it's usually the slowed-down 23.976 fps used for legacy NTSC compatibility)

But if you don't want any configuration, maybe VLC is better. I've never used MPC-HC in its stock configuration.
Whoot someone knows their stuff though you forgot xy-vsfilter for the subs!

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 03:03:32 »
I just downloaded Vimium (one of the Pentadactyl-like equivalents for Chrome), pretty neat. Anyone else using Chrome with this or things like Vrome, etc?

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 04:17:07 »
Whoot someone knows their stuff though you forgot xy-vsfilter for the subs!
I only use original DVDs and Blu-rays, so there's no need for it? I think that only applies to pirates.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 04:43:22 »
The first thing i install when I format the comp is;
coretemp
mumble
nbs-irc
steam
CHROME, the best browser, saves the bookmarks and addons through your account :D
and ofc spotify