Author Topic: Incredible software that needs more exposure  (Read 28476 times)

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
Incredible software that needs more exposure
« on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 01:25:47 »
Every once in a while I find a new piece of software that makes me wonder how I ever got along without it.

For example, I use pandora for allot of my music (since I don't have a proper head-fi setup at my new place yet) and up until recently I was using the web client. I googled "pandora native app" and my life got sooooooo much better.

Use Debian or a *nix os? Pithos.

Use windows? Elpis.

Use mac and insist on buying from the app store? pandabar.

There's one other application that's improved my life intensely as of late. Ever have your laptop on the same desk with your desktop and wish you could just slide your mouse between the two comps? Synergy is software that lets you share peripherals across multiple computers via network connection.

No more reaching over to laptop touch pads or dealing with rubber domes when you're at home. It works across all major platforms and it also copies your clipboard between the two computers so if you need to copy pasta some really good ****, your life got better as well.

So what incredible pieces of software have you found lately? Phone apps, OSs, Desktop apps, anything goes.

Offline neeb

Re: Incredible software that needs more exposure
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:23:42 »
Wow, Elpis rocks man thanks for sharing this! I've heard amazing things about Synergy but I've never had a reason to use it.

One I would like to share is Dropbox. I know a lot of people already know of it and/or use it but for those that don't, it seriously makes my life easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/

"Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. This means that any file you save to your Dropbox will automatically save to all your computers, phones and even the Dropbox website. "

TLDR: Dropbox is awesome. You can share files with all of your computers and simultaneously upload them to a web server just by "dropping" then into a folder.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:37:08 »
Fun fact: I work with the guy that wrote Synergy.  I love it too.  Great for controlling Mac + PC with one keyboard/mouse.

Offline neeb

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:39:19 »
Fun fact: I work with the guy that wrote Synergy.  I love it too.  Great for controlling Mac + PC with one keyboard/mouse.

Are you a programmer too or is it just coincidence that you work with him?

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:05:56 »
for linux users: I found at to be really useful in some situations

from time to time it has to serve as my alarm clock; you can stop the network daemon of a remote machine your working on without worries when you previously scheduled to start it again; ... such things

also, if you don't already know about them: screen, irssi, awesome (a window manager), arch linux (a linux distro), ...

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:14:18 »

Yep, programmer here.

@sirtetris +1 for screen and awesome.

Offline neeb

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:34:25 »

Yep, programmer here.

@sirtetris +1 for screen and awesome.

That's awesome man. I've dabbled with a little programming for fun but never taken it beyond that

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:58:51 »
tmux  > screen.

Offline neeb

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:18:23 »
Pidgin is also really useful for anyone that uses IM programs like msn or skype etc

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:51:34 »
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:17:58 »

Not bad at all. Is he still involved in the development?

Also, Sublime Text 2. Best text editor I've used. Its features are incredible and it works on a winrar style license so you dont have to pay if you dont want to.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:43:14 »
I don't think so.  I've heard good things about Sublime Text, but I'm a vim man.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:01:43 »
I <3 Vim :)

But *nix is well known.  My must-have list for Windows

Notepad++ (#1)
PuTTY (#2)
WinMerge
...among other programming tools, and this gem that most people probably have never heard of...
Agent Ransack (basically grep for windows)

Firefox
Thunderbird
VLC Media Player
7zip
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 08:24:21 by metalliqaz »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:08:14 »
SeaMonkey didn't get nearly enough love on the Internet Browsers thread. In my experience, it runs faster and more reliably than Firefox, while being a full-featured suite with integrated email, composer, etc.

Also, Just Gestures. As you might guess from the name, it's a mouse gesture program.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:28:27 »
I never understood why email would be integrated into a web browser.  Other than being Internet applications, they don't have anything to do with eachother.  I like 'em separate.

Offline CKTofu

• I don't even...
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:58:53 »
VLC Media Player

http://cccp-project.net/, the Combined Community Codec Pack, tends to beat VLC, but is far less well known.
Ducky Shine 2 - MX Red with Red LEDs

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:05:02 »
I used to use the CCCP.  Used to.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:06:10 »
Ditch cccp and go with mpc-hc and lav filter and if u have a decent gpu madvr.

O and ditch vlc as well....

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:10:32 »
I used to use MPC-HC too, but it doesn't seem to get any real development.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Incredible software that needs more exposure
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:48:51 »
I used to use MPC-HC too, but it doesn't seem to get any real development.
lol the your not looking in the right places i run the dev build whaich is at the least updated monthly latlely sorta goes in sputs. I can give you the whole package of decoders that was updated fairly recently if you want.

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:53:23 »
How about IRC/Chat clients? Right now I really want something that I can use for all my chat related needs.

Looking for OSX software but its always cool to learn about new stuff regardless of platform.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:06:51 »
I use KVIrc i like it because its a lot like chatzilla but much more fleshed out.

Offline neeb

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:09:45 »
How about IRC/Chat clients? Right now I really want something that I can use for all my chat related needs.

Looking for OSX software but its always cool to learn about new stuff regardless of platform.

I standby pidgin, it's always been my go-to program for my IM software

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:12:13 »
I use KVIrc i like it because its a lot like chatzilla but much more fleshed out.

Does KVIrc have integration for other chat services? Also, is it friendly for low resolution? I'm working on a 2880x1800 but i've only got a little space left on-screen before I've gotta start using more than one space actively.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:13:22 »

adium if you don't need a/v, it's a highly customizable text-only chat program with tons of skins and interface mods available. irc + most IM protocols supported
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:19:46 »

adium if you don't need a/v, it's a highly customizable text-only chat program with tons of skins and interface mods available. irc + most IM protocols supported

Thanks sth! I saw that but I'm a bit of a sucker for eyecandy xD. Know anything that looks good and does something similar?

Pidgin doesnt have any default packages for OSX on their site : (

Offline neeb

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:36:28 »

Thanks sth! I saw that but I'm a bit of a sucker for eyecandy xD. Know anything that looks good and does something similar?

Pidgin doesnt have any default packages for OSX on their site : (

Eek! My bad man, I guess I tunnel visioned through the "mac" part of your post lol

Edit: Looks like Adium is what pidgin recommends if you go to mac link on their site, "For a native Mac OS X experience we recommend Adium, which uses libpurple (the core of Pidgin) for much of its protocol support."
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 01:18:05 by neeb »

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 01:26:06 »
I use a program called everything, it's a search engine for Windows, very quick.  Written by a friend of a friend  :D.

http://www.voidtools.com/
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline silat

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 01:32:10 »
There are so many but I will pick just one if I have 2.

Files 2 Folder
Description: A right-click shell extension that will automatically create a folder based on the selected filename and move that file into that folder. If you select multiple files, a box will pop up asking for a folder name. That folder name will be created and all selected files will then be moved into the new folder.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 01:37:53 »
There are so many but I will pick just one if I have 2.

Files 2 Folder
Description: A right-click shell extension that will automatically create a folder based on the selected filename and move that file into that folder. If you select multiple files, a box will pop up asking for a folder name. That folder name will be created and all selected files will then be moved into the new folder.

You... You sir, have won the thread. Don't limit your suggestions if they are all that good.

Offline silat

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 01:58:50 »
Wow. That is some praise indeed.
Ok how about some software in the same vein as the last. Freeware of course. If you want my fave awesome non freeware programs we can go there too:)

Text 2 Folders
Description: Text 2 Folders is a small utility designed to quickly create (sub)folders.

Pysort
Description: PySort is an application for people that helps people who do not have the time, nor patience, to sort through a messy folder. It will scan through the selected folder and place all known files in appropriate folders and those that are unknown to the program will simply be placed in an "Unknown" folder.

At one time or another I use or have used all the programs I recommend.

Truly there are so many fantastic programs out there it could take weeks to list them.

Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 08:00:45 »
I tend to praise Chrome, couldn't do without it. I love the syncing features of it. I also +1 for Dropbox.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 09:16:01 »

Does KVIrc have integration for other chat services? Also, is it friendly for low resolution? I'm working on a 2880x1800 but i've only got a little space left on-screen before I've gotta start using more than one space actively.
na its just an irc client most of the good ones are just that.

I recommend MediaInfo right click most media files and itll tell you just about everything about them.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 10:11:45 »
windirstat

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 10:48:57 »
I never understood why email would be integrated into a web browser.  Other than being Internet applications, they don't have anything to do with eachother.  I like 'em separate.

Given that you can open the program directly into either one, you lose nothing by having them combined, and gain efficiency, interface consistency, convenience (just press a hotkey and there's the email), easier interconnection with other features, etc.

SeaMonkey has IRC functionality as part of its suite, and is available for Mac. Back when I had a Mac, I liked the SeaMonkey browser better than Safari, too.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:13:59 »
windirstat
great program especially when you dont know whats hogging up all your storage.

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:07:37 »
Alfred+powerpack in OSX is also amazing. Productivity apps are my fav.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:30:25 »
I use Alfred all the time. So useful!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 12:35:47 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:05:05 by davkol »

Offline godly_music

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 14:29:23 »
'Miranda IM' (prefer not to run GTK on Windows, otherwise Pidgin would be fine)
'FreeFileSync' is very cool if you want to strictly do manual backup and folder sync.
'HexChat', formerly XChat-WDK, is the freeware Windows variant of the popular IRC client, if you need a dedicated one.
'Everything' is a superior Windows Search tool that utilizes the MFT to build its database.
'NTREGOPT' defragments registry files like lots of other programs do, but this one has no baggage. Works with vintage Windows too.
'SumatraPDF' is the leanest, fastest PDF reader IMO.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 16:19:05 »
I'm a big fan of ditto. It's a clipboard manager that keeps your last 500 (or more) clips.   You can use it to copy and few times and then paste a few times - Saves a ton of clicking around.

Another favourite is launchy.   Alt-space to bring up a dialog, type in a few letters that are in the name of a program you want to run and away you go.  No need to reach for the mouse.

I wrote a little program a while back, a simple context menu thingy, that copies the full path of a file to the clipboard.

Tempted to recreate the context menu idea of select a file and it will create a folder and move the file into it...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Warduke

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 23:43:15 »
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline Amarok

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 01:45:19 »
VIM-style keyboard shortcuts in Chrome/Chromium
http://vimium.github.com/
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 03:27:22 »
VIM-style keyboard shortcuts in Chrome/Chromium
http://vimium.github.com/

Honestly im surprised you didnt suggest amarok xD

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 07:02:29 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:05:15 by davkol »

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 18:38:07 »
How about terminal emulators? I'm a big fan of iTerm and terminator but I wish there was a way to integrate them with my sublime text.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 09:21:21 »
Just had a look through some of the key apps I set up on a fresh install:

1Password. Secure password vault/generator. It's cross-platform, and has the best browser integration I have seen. You can also access your keychain via any regular browser if you quickly need to get a password out of it on a system 1Password is not installed/set up on.

ResophNotes (Win) nvALT (Mac) Great apps based on Notational Velocity for taking quick notes and searching through them. Notes are saved as plaintext, which I sync via Dropbox to access them in text editors on mobile devices.

For gamers with an SSD, SteamTool is great for moving games to/from a larger storage drive (automatically creates/manages NTFS Junctions) and SteamCleaner clears out all the unnecessary DirectX installers and other packages that are only run when you first install a game, to save a few hundred MB per game. (it adds up when you have tens or hundreds of games and a small SSD)

Similarly, Link Shell Extension is useful with an SSD.

WizMouse. Lets you scroll any window under the mouse cursor even if it's not the active window. This is standard behaviour on OS X, and something I really miss when I use Windows. I've tried a few of these utilities, and while I don't like the UI (looks like a shady app, but it's fine) it's the one that worked best in my experience.

dBpoweramp is great if you still have a CD collection to rip. (or still buy CDs) EAC works, but the interface isn't great, it requires a bit of manual setup, and metadata isn't all that good. dBpoweramp combines a bit-perfect CD-ripper, automatically searches and compares multiple databases for metadata, makes it easy to find good quality cover art, supports just about any format you could think of, has good file renaming/conversion options. Worth spending the money if you have a lot to get through.

I think most of the other apps I run are either going to be very common (things like 7-Zip) or too obscure/specific/complex to set up to be worth mentioning. (e.g. MPC-HC+madVR+LAV Filters+ReClock combination for media playback)
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 09:25:27 by NKRO »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 10:09:03 »
WizMouse. Lets you scroll any window under the mouse cursor even if it's not the active window. This is standard behaviour on OS X, and something I really miss when I use Windows. I've tried a few of these utilities, and while I don't like the UI (looks like a shady app, but it's fine) it's the one that worked best in my experience.
What a nice application! I just installed that since I miss that when switching from my Mac to my PC.

Offline Viz

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 12:32:36 »
TMUX(Beats screen), awesome, weechat(beats IRSSI), rtorrent(hands down, best torrent client ever.)
Vimperator(for firefox), MUTT + hushmail/lavabit(best mail client ever!)

OT: OpenBSD is awesome.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 17:18:02 »
What a nice application! I just installed that since I miss that when switching from my Mac to my PC.

Arrhh... too late for my WizMouse suggestion. Should be a standard feature on every OS.

What about Launchy??
Keyboardless