Author Topic: USB to PS/2 Keyboard adapter?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline nervx

USB to PS/2 Keyboard adapter?
« on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 04:03:32 »
I have a keyboard that is ps/2 and doesnt support usb via the basic adapter. I know there are adapters like this one but i was wondering how reliable are these things? i'm mainly worried about gaming.  do they increase latency, drop signal after a while(eg holding w) or limit the number of keys you can press at one time?

any feedback from those that have used these types of adapters is appreciated

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: USB to PS/2 Keyboard adapter?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 08:10:58 »
I have bought several of these, and they have always worked great for me, on several different computers, although not everyone has the same experience.

Some boards draw more power, you might also try a powered USB hub, which has worked for me with laptops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-PS2-Cable-Adapter-for-Keyboard-Mouse-USB-Bus-/160817019671?pt=US_Parallel_Serial_PS_2_Cables_Adapters&hash=item257170fb17
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:59:07 »
I have had the same issue no matter what adapter I have. Right now I'm using the belkin (which is pretty well reviewed here, after the "blue cube") with two keyboards on it. Every once in a white it'll reset, and I won't be able to type for a few seconds. This only occurs during use, and I don't know why. I don't think it's a power concern, as it still does it even with just one keyboard.

Other than that, it works great.

The best is probably the PI-engineering one, but it's like $50, or a soarer adapter, but you have to DIY to get it.

Offline nervx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:18:39 »
I have had the same issue no matter what adapter I have. Right now I'm using the belkin (which is pretty well reviewed here, after the "blue cube") with two keyboards on it. Every once in a white it'll reset, and I won't be able to type for a few seconds. This only occurs during use, and I don't know why. I don't think it's a power concern, as it still does it even with just one keyboard.

The best is probably the PI-engineering one, but it's like $50, or a soarer adapter, but you have to DIY to get it.

This is what worries me but i guess i'll give the StarTech a shot since i can get it cheap.
BTW do these things get hot when under heavy use(gaming)? i wonder if heat could be causing them to short out.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 02:38:51 »
None of mine have got hot, or even warm at all.

Although my room does heat up a lot, what with all the computer hardware that's on, it's never over about 35C in here, and I get this during the wither, too. (I leave me window open in the winter.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 08:05:54 »
Man, that is a serious hot-box!

I am warm-blooded by nature, I start getting uncomfortable above about 25/75 indoors, although, for whatever reasons, that temperature outside feels much more cool and pleasant.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:14:57 »

This is what worries me but i guess i'll give the StarTech a shot since i can get it cheap.
BTW do these things get hot when under heavy use(gaming)? i wonder if heat could be causing them to short out.
I have a Startech and its giving me the same reset problem that dorkvader described. It happens every 5-7 min when I'm typing a lot.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline nervx

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 06:22:44 »

I have a Startech and its giving me the same reset problem that dorkvader described. It happens every 5-7 min when I'm typing a lot.

i was going to pick the startech up today, now im not so sure. has anyone tried the TRENDnet adapter or this blue cube by ziotek? any drop outs using them?

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 06:28:11 »
(which is pretty well reviewed here, after the "blue cube")
[...] or this blue cube by ziotek?

:p

The blue cubes are excellent. I believe they're the adapter of choice for most GH and DT members.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 09:40:14 »
Blue cube is for people who can't afford the pi engineering y-mouse. After reading their literature, it seems like the clear winner. The people who have one rave about how awesome it is. Plus, you don't need two to adapt an M13 or M5-1 or whatever. (It's only $64.47 at MCM)

We need another blue cube GB. $7.29+4.46 is too much for me.

I think I'm going to order some Digisparks (which happen to have 4 IO pins when in USB mode) and make soarers for all my keyboards.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 10:54:58 »
I think I'm going to order some Digisparks (which happen to have 4 IO pins when in USB mode) and make soarers for all my keyboards.

Not with an ATtiny85... no hardware USB, only 8kb flash, only 512 byte RAM :(

Offline nervx

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 03:51:05 »
has anyone tried this adapter:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7WYZG

is it the same hardware as a blue cube? would be nice to not cover up the usb slots
it's made by ziotek who also make the blue cube according to amazon although i cant see the company label on the package anywhere

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 11:40:21 »
I recommend the rosewill one from newegg or the belkin one

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 11:47:56 »
has anyone tried this adapter:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7WYZG

is it the same hardware as a blue cube? would be nice to not cover up the usb slots
it's made by ziotek who also make the blue cube according to amazon although i cant see the company label on the package anywhere

Haven't tried it. Apparently it has a different Vendor ID than the blue cube (archive from 2010).

Offline ngazi

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:40:09 »
I have bought several of these, and they have always worked great for me, on several different computers, although not everyone has the same experience.

Some boards draw more power, you might also try a powered USB hub, which has worked for me with laptops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-PS2-Cable-Adapter-for-Keyboard-Mouse-USB-Bus-/160817019671?pt=US_Parallel_Serial_PS_2_Cables_Adapters&hash=item257170fb17

I use that exact one. It drops signal when holding a key in games. Just to be spiteful it is perfectly fine outside of games.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:42:11 by ngazi »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 07:42:05 »
Fair enough.

I don't game, so if it can keep up with my moderately good touch typing I will never know the difference.

Dropped keystrokes seem to be happening infrequently and randomly but consistently with all my USB keyboards (I mostly use the Teensy) and I never know whether it is just my own sloppiness.

Sometimes I will lose several at a time, or all or part of a word, but, who knows, maybe I just hit "Home" or "End" or something by mistake, or was on a non-character.

I tend to rip out sections at warp speed, then go back and correct them, so I never know exactly what happened in real time.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 08:41:46 »
I tend to rip out sections at warp speed, then go back and correct them, so I never know exactly what happened in real time.
I do this, too. It's particularly a pain with my adapter, because sometimes when it drops out, I have to stop and wait for the keyboards to reset.

I finally got my mouser order in, so I should have the parts to make a soarer this weekend.