Author Topic: Anyone doing anything cool with a PowerMate  (Read 2742 times)

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
Anyone doing anything cool with a PowerMate
« on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 20:53:14 »
I dug out my old Griffin Powermate, and it got me wondering if anyone else here had one, and was doing something creative with it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Anyone doing anything cool with a PowerMate
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:07:13 »
I have a keyboard from an NEC APC IV PowerMate 1 4C - but I suspect it is not the same thing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline limmy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 22:18:12 »
I don't know if this is what you are looking for..

I added a grip and acrylic base. The grip is Medi grip I got from a grocery store and the acrylic base is from group buy in KBDMania. The base comes with gel pad which is pretty sticky yet reusable. The base fits a bit tightly to the Powermate so it stays put.

The trackpoint is just dummy. I put it there just to cover holes in the caps.

The pics were originally posted here: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/5117359

If you think your Powermate is not smooth, you could try to lube it. See here to see where to lube. http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/4218160

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 00:39:50 »
Mine's an oversized mute mic button, and answer call in skype button. Occasionally used as volume control, but rarely.
Poker
QFR

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 11:56:11 »
I've considered integrating a Powermate into a Kinesis Advantage. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've never gotten around to getting a Powermate, so I'm not totally familiar with it. If I can get a cheap used one, that will probably motivate me to experiment. Would like a black one to match keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 11:59:13 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 22:27:39 »
That could be cool.  It definitely feels nicer than most knobs.  It has a little weight to it.  That was really the thing that sold me.  Then I had trouble getting it working in Linux (before support was basically built-in), and then I just forgot about it in a bin.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Anyone doing anything cool with a PowerMate
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:51:03 »
That could be cool.  It definitely feels nicer than most knobs.  It has a little weight to it.  That was really the thing that sold me.  Then I had trouble getting it working in Linux (before support was basically built-in), and then I just forgot about it in a bin.
same happened to me when vista came out, now its fully supported in 7 but i sold it long ago to someone on here.