Author Topic: Kinesis Model 100: Internals  (Read 8729 times)

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
Kinesis Model 100: Internals
« on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 02:00:29 »
As promised, here are some shots of the internals of my Kinesis Model 100. 

I used some isopropyl alcohol to loosen some dried hot glue that a previous owner had used. Judging by the amount of dried hot glue under the keywells, it looks like this keyboard has been modded to some extent.

This model looks quite different from the other models of the Kinesis Contoured keyboards (thanks, sordna).

I intend to examine the internal parts of this keyboard a little more, so I'll post more pics as I go along.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 02:09:19 by bootstrap »
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline sordna

Re: Kinesis Model 100: Internals
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 12:38:57 »
Great shots! Can you take a couple external pics too? The web is sorely lacking photos of this fascinating 1st gen Kinesis contoured keyboard.
BTW Kinesis keyboards do use hot glue mostly to better hold the switches in the curved keywell, so it may not be necessarily modded.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 12:41:02 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:48:58 »
Great shots! Can you take a couple external pics too? The web is sorely lacking photos of this fascinating 1st gen Kinesis contoured keyboard.
BTW Kinesis keyboards do use hot glue mostly to better hold the switches in the curved keywell, so it may not be necessarily modded.

No worries, I can/will post some more pics of the keyboard once I've finished changing the switches and cleaned it up a bit.

The current switches feel like they need lubrication. Some key chattering in some keys may be more problematic. It could all be due to age. And since the keyboard is practically useless to me with its current issues, I thought I would take my chances in changing the switches. I've got nothing to lose (except a few hours of desoldering/soldering).

Thanks for the information about the hot glue - it's something nice to know.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:56:14 by bootstrap »
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 12:50:08 »
Thanks for the photos :-D

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 12:50:42 »
I'm not convinced that keyboard has been modded. I bet it's stock! But obviously I'm certain of this. Kinesis has always used hot glue for various items, and still does.

If you will, I suggest taking a ridiculous amount of pics of the parts as you're dis-assembling, re-doing, modifying, re-assembling. You'd be amazed at what a photographic record can do for you if you have questions later. Plus, it's interesting and not a lot of these pics exist. And often, some of the best pics are ones you might not have taken in the first place.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:12:35 »
I haven't opened up a Model 100 in some time so I can't say for certain, but I also agree it's likely not a mod. The Model 100 was the very first product from Kinesis and everyone in the company from the owner on down were building these keyboards by hand in a small room! The company has grown quite a bit since then but we'll probably never stop using hot glue (just not as much!) and we still solder each individual key switch manually. 

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:29:05 »
....everyone in the company from the owner on down were building these keyboards by hand in a small room....

Good times!

.... and we still solder each individual key switch manually.

No wave soldering machines? Dang! By hand, that helps explain the price tag :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:59:22 »
I'm not convinced that keyboard has been modded. I bet it's stock! But obviously I'm certain of this. Kinesis has always used hot glue for various items, and still does.

If you will, I suggest taking a ridiculous amount of pics of the parts as you're dis-assembling, re-doing, modifying, re-assembling. You'd be amazed at what a photographic record can do for you if you have questions later. Plus, it's interesting and not a lot of these pics exist. And often, some of the best pics are ones you might not have taken in the first place.

I certainly will take lots of photos of the keyboard as I disassemble it. Besides sharing what I find, it'll also help me put the thing back together later. 

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 22:09:04 by bootstrap »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 23:07:26 »
I've learned taking photos of all sorts of things can pay off 1000% when you least expect it.

With keyboards, once after about 10 mins one time I needed to see something...and guess what? heh heh. Had a pic. Also, sometimes pics come in handy for other things...measurements, fitment, part numbers, documentation, etc. And this is after whatever it was that you were doing at the time. Other things become relevant. And who wants to take the keyboard apart again? LOL

I always take high res pics of pcbs and pop them up on a 24" monitor to see what's on the darn thing.

Offline islisis

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 10:25:38 »

Does it? Slightly offtopic, but how much of the price is from Maltron patents? Can anybody elucidate?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 December 2012, 10:27:32 by islisis »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:50:14 »

Does it? Slightly offtopic, but how much of the price is from Maltron patents? Can anybody elucidate?
I am by no means an expert, but I just assumed that Kinesis' design is different enough from Maltron's patent to not infringe on it.

Offline jimmyjack

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 01:17:26 »
So I had never really considered vertical mice until a thread here a couple of months ago piqued my interest. The concept made sense, and I found a good cheap Chinese mouse on ebay.

I had made the switch to left–hand mousing a year or two ago, and have been delighted with it. Although I am strongly right–handed, I have decided that mousing is a secondary task, not a primary one. Freeing my right hand for writing, operating the numpad, and answering the phone has been great.

My first vertical mouse was a right–hand knock–off of the Wow Joy Pen mouse, and I love it! It took my hand about 3 days to settle onto the proper position, but from there it has been smooth sailing. I have large hands, and kept trying to stay “up on” the mouse. When I finally realized that I needed to drag the last two fingers on the ground, they became my movers and navigators, which is far more precise than using the wrist and forearm.

As I understand it, this is not the fastest mouse for gamers, but I don’t care. Yes, they should lighten the click and improve the wheel, but the price was less than half the price of the name brand, so, even better!

But, what I really wanted, of course, was a left–hand mouse. Not only is there no cheap left–hand Chinese knock–off of the Joy mouse, apparently there is no name brand lefty, either. Damn!

As far as I can tell, the only left–hand vertical mouse is the Evoluent, so I got one.

It just plain sucks. Everything about it is wrong. The Joy is nice because it leans over at about 45 degrees toward the center so that your arm is completely natural.

I really get it – that a conventional mouse forces you to rotate your forearm a

Offline islisis

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 13:40:19 »
OK, I must have misread that issue somewhere I guess it's not cross-licenced, thanks. Ignore my post :/