Author Topic: Display case/box for unused keysets?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Display case/box for unused keysets?
« on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 11:54:11 »
Does anyone know of a source for a keyboard-sized display case to store or display unused keycap sets?  I could not find one here or on the Interweb, and the closest thing was a thimble display case that was way too large.

It seems like it would be easy enough to make something out of plexi (or wood, if you are handy with that), but if some such thing exists, I would rather buy than make.

FWIW, such an object could increase our ability to buy keycap sets without requiring a 1:1 increase in keyboard purchases.  So having display cases would mean that you'd actually be SAVING money by buying custom keycaps!

Anyhow, does anyone know of such a thing in the world?  And if not, is anyone else interested in possessing such things?

Enquiring minds need to know -- and then type about it...

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 11:58:47 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:57:00 by esoomenona »

Offline jeroplane

Re: Display case/box for unused keysets?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 12:20:26 »
Try looking around for jewelry boxes. Depending on what you want, you can get small glass-topped ones that are used to display rings or drawer-style ones made of wood (some have glass tops too, but otherwise the caps will just be in felt-lined drawers).

Glass topped box for rings: http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--90000--60748_product_1737404976_thumb_large.jpg
Glass topped box for necklaces: http://i.imgur.com/VKGif.jpg
Small drawer-style: http://jewelryboxesandboxes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/jewelrybox1.jpg
Medium drawer-style: http://collectiblesxgifts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Jewelry-Boxes-For-Women.png

You can usually find these at good craft stores or vintage drawer-style ones from thrift stores, second-hand places, etc. for cheap. Or eBay.

(A while back my girlfriend went looking for these sorts of boxes to store and display all her jewelry so that it's easy to pick and choose what to wear each day.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 12:27:46 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:00:45 »
Something like this (quick Sketch-up drawings.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:07:22 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:51:42 by esoomenona »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:25:14 »
This is what I use for my 1 of keycaps that arent in a set, you can fit up to 5 per slot if you choose to

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/containers/dividedBoxes?productId=10032167&N=80806&Nao=20
Keyboardless

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 17:45:11 »
I want to get a lasercutter so I can make all the cardboard I recycle into topre-like cases for fullsets. Cutting the rows by hand is just too hard to get right.

I guess, I could use a sharp flat blade of the required length. Maybe I'll cut down and sharpen a metal ruler.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 21:49:01 »
I have an idea... but I'm going to test it first.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 15:36:49 »
Why don't you just get a cheap real keyboard to put your caps on? I bought a Rosewill keyboard just for that. And my caps are mounted on actual switches.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:15:58 »
Why don't you just get a cheap real keyboard to put your caps on? I bought a Rosewill keyboard just for that. And my caps are mounted on actual switches.
Finally, the BW has a purpose.

The only problem is: Where to put the original keycaps that came with the rosewill. You may want to (Snarkily) throw them away, but I suppose keeping them in a baggie is a good idea.

This makes a lot of sense for the full sets.