Author Topic: model m  (Read 1774 times)

Offline alvinliang

iPhone sucks

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: model m
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:17:39 »
Looks like it'll sell for a good price.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline alvinliang

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:26:55 »
yea, about $20 now, still have 20hr until it ends
iPhone sucks

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 14:35:45 »
Was 1996 a buckling spring board? At $60+ shipped it seemed too much compared to other model m boards buy it now prices
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:33:54 »
Was 1996 a buckling spring board? At $60+ shipped it seemed too much compared to other model m boards buy it now prices

Looks just like my '93 B/S version. Google the model number to verify.

-Ron. | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 18:10:44 »
I was very surprised.

I would have assumed that I could have gotten a used 1996 model 52G for well under $50 shipped domestic (maybe under $40), unless it really was NIB, and then I would have been surprised to see it go for more than $65 + shipping.

At that point you are at the Unicomp price point, where you can get smaller footprints, black color, and native USB - all significant advantages for most people.

I would not pay over $40 shipped for anything but a very clean 1391401 unless maybe $50 shipped for a very clean 1390131.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 18:24:47 »
I was very surprised.

I would have assumed that I could have gotten a used 1996 model 52G for well under $50 shipped domestic (maybe under $40), unless it really was NIB, and then I would have been surprised to see it go for more than $65 + shipping.

At that point you are at the Unicomp price point, where you can get smaller footprints, black color, and native USB - all significant advantages for most people.

I would not pay over $40 shipped for anything but a very clean 1391401 unless maybe $50 shipped for a very clean 1390131.

Really?  Dollars equal, would you prefer a new 101-key Unicomp Classic PS/2 to a clean, working -- but not NIB -- blue-logo Model M?

TEHO, but for me, they are very similar items, but not the same.  I see Unicomp as an awesome accessory provider for Model M keyboards as well as a place to buy B/S keyboards with smaller footprints, black color, native USB and 104-key layouts.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 20:56:25 »
After Soarer made the converter available, my Model Ms have been gathering dust as I use Model Fs as my daily drivers.

That said, I have a couple of early (heavy plate, pre-1988) heavily-modded Ms in storage, along with a couple of super-clean early 1990s black labels, so I am pretty well stocked up for life.

But, if I was going to pay over $50 + shipping for a Model M, it would have to be a very clean, very early 1391401 or 1390131, otherwise I would spend a few more bucks opt for a new Unicomp. The only real disadvantage I see is the hideous nameplate on the front.

I like the lighter-feeling springs, and the "modern conveniences" would be another plus.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 21:55:20 »
Wow, Model F.  I haven't used one of those since the DisplayWriter and later the 5250.  I think also with the PC 3270 we used with a 4381 running MVS. Maybe also the S/38 twinax terminals?

IIRC, those all had full metal cases and weighed 10+ pounds.

OK, you definately win the historical blunt instrument argument. (Please don't hit me with your keyboard or I'll be killed!)

I guess I have to go do a head-to-head test of old and new B/S keyboards.  And maybe try and unearth a model F.

Cheers!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:27:21 »
There are 3 (regular) Model F types, plus many odd terminal variants, you can find many discussions here. The XT is considered the best feel but has a horrid layout. The AT has a much better layout but still not good enough for me. The 122-key terminal board can be modded by moving barrels and springs to have a near-ANSI layout that suits me just fine. The AT can be modded to a lesser extent.

The XT and 122 have black metal case backs, the AT is all-plastic with clips holding the front. The plastic is harder and more brittle than the M cases, so the AT is hard to take apart. I think the small ones weigh about 6 pounds and the large ones about 7.

I also bolt-modded my 122s so that they are easier to take apart, the original sliding force fit is particularly difficult on the big boards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:45:39 by fohat.digs »