Author Topic: I'm having trouble removing the tops of the switches on a BWU  (Read 1103 times)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
I'm having trouble removing the tops of the switches on a BWU
« on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 22:00:24 »
I'm trying to take off at least one of the tops of a switch on my BWU, and I can't seem to make it happen. I've watched and read a few tutorials, but I can't ever get the desired results. When I try to pop it off, all that ever happens is the sides of the top get all scratched and thrashed. The main method I've used as reference is the video DanGWanG posted on YouTube. But I can't seem to make a tool as efficient as his. Is it me, or is it just my keyboard? Either way, is there perhaps a simpler method of getting the top off? As it seems all I'm doing is damaging the switch.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: I'm having trouble removing the tops of the switches on a BWU
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 22:15:42 »
The BWU is a backlit keyboard. This means that you have LEDs that are mounted in holes that go through the switch, and are soldered to the PCB underneath the plate. Also, they will need to be removed from the plate itself, which is also keeping the switch together.

In order to take the top off the switch, you will need to desolder both the switch and the LEDs from the underlying PCB. When you do, make sure you take note of how the LED is wired, as if it's not wired the same way when you resolder it, it won't work.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 22:23:43 »
Ahhhh, okay. Well I'm glad I found that out before I kept trying. I probably would have ended up breaking something. Thanks for the info, friend.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 03:50:03 »
Not a problem, happy to help :)

Offline Human

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:56:49 »
BWU is plate mounted board, and you can't simply/easily remove the top of the switch without solder off it from the PCB, not to say that with LED mounted.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:58:21 by Human »