Author Topic: Hi, there - lots to learn  (Read 1646 times)

Offline tekmanrj

Hi, there - lots to learn
« on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 16:02:20 »
I'm a software dev, and I've always been trying different keyboards, but somehow other than ye olde buckling springs of legend I never heard much or got into the mechanical thing.

As I've gotten older, I've found the space between the keyboard and mouse (well, I use a trackpad now, but same diff) to be more and more of a problem. To that end, I have been using a HHKB for the last couple of years, and I really like it. But I never took the time to explore any of the other switches.

Recently I picked up a Leopold blue tenkeyless, but I find it's still a bit too big, so I think I'll be trying the KBT RACE and Noppoo Choc Mini next. I did find that I like having the variety of these other keys, though. And, honestly, I would love to find a keyboard that I feel like I can have several copies of without shelling out HHKB levels of cash.

On the religious wars front, I use emacs constantly, I always rebind control to the traditional caps lock location, and I use almost exclusively mac hardware, though not always running Mac OS. Oh, and I tend to use real dashes — and “quotation marks” and other annoying stuff like that. I used to have all the ASCII key codes memorized when you had to hold down ALT and punch them on the numpad to get into my BBS posts on my 1200 baud modem.

I try to do everything possible from the keyboard. I'm always setting up elaborate hotkey chords to avoid ever reaching for a pointing device. For a while I was trying to use a Kinesis Freestyle, but I kept finding bugs in their key rollover and ended up taking it back.

Glad to be here. Hope I don't burn to much cash on this new hobby. :-)

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
Re: Hi, there - lots to learn
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 16:56:27 »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 17:10:13 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 17:25:06 »
There's always lots to learn ^^ Welcome to Geekhack!
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 17:27:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I tried Emacs, and it's ok, but I have spent far too long in vi and its clones to make the switch permanently.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tillertow

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:30:57 »
Went with the QFR...i like the tenkeyless design, wouldn't go for anything smaller
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0