Author Topic: Best typing feel, Double Shot ABS or PBT Keycaps?  (Read 63528 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Best typing feel, Double Shot ABS or PBT Keycaps?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 20:26:00 »
At the moment seems like only imsto / KBC carries it, so I'd assume so lol

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 20:50:21 »
without a doubt, cloud of boobs keycaps

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 23:23:29 »
Seems like I am the only one that prefer thin ABS caps (Preferably those Filco pad print ones, the ones made for lasering feel less crisp). ABS > POM ≥ PBT for me. ABS feels the most crisp and fastest. PBT feels dull and lifeless. POM feels crisp but they're kinda slippery. Durability and cosmetics doesn't really matter to me.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 00:25:09 »
Ok, do they all feel close enough? Do a lot of you say that it matters just as much as the switch itself? Or is it more minimal
SmallFry! <3

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 08:36:07 »
I am typing on a set of well-worn ABS doubleshots right now that feel horrible to me.

Having used Model M/Fs as my daily drivers for over a year, with clean newish PBT caps, I REALLY miss the nice texture.

These slick things feel downright greasy under my fingers, and it is not pleasant. But they do LOOK GOOD, if that is more important to you!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Hyde

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 16:09:23 »
without a doubt, cloud of boobs keycaps

Anyone here with thick PBT can confirm this claim lol?

There's a chance if the group buy can't reach the MOQ number (300) then we might have to go with grey colour which in my opinion doesn't look as nice.

So I need to decide if I should go for regular PBT (looks nicer but won't be as thick), or just go for grey cherry replica thick PBT (feel better, won't look as nice).

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline sovano

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 16:31:40 »
How is a PBT keycap thick exactly? I'm starting to wonder if mines are regular or thick now lol.

I am typing on a set of well-worn ABS doubleshots right now that feel horrible to me.

Having used Model M/Fs as my daily drivers for over a year, with clean newish PBT caps, I REALLY miss the nice texture.

These slick things feel downright greasy under my fingers, and it is not pleasant. But they do LOOK GOOD, if that is more important to you!
I was a bit unimpressed the first time I used ABS keycaps. After a week of usage I could see some visible finger prints on the keycaps.

Does anyone happen to own POM keycaps? Not really sure what to expect if I get one.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 17:20:38 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31861.510

Scroll down a bit it has comparison picture.  Man the thick one look very nice though I hope this goes through  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 17:28:29 »
I actually found that I quite like the SP thinner ones on my MX blues so far - they feel lighter, and seem to go well with the tactile blues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:35:45 »
I actually found that I quite like the SP thinner ones on my MX blues so far - they feel lighter, and seem to go well with the tactile blues.

Though have you tried thick PBT?  I find in keyboard world there's a lot of "This is the best until you try this".  You never really know until you have tried them all  :P

Kinda why I'm asking now, I probably can only afford to buy 1 so I want to make sure I get the right one  :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:49:14 by Hyde »

Offline sovano

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:02:49 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31861.510

Scroll down a bit it has comparison picture.  Man the thick one look very nice though I hope this goes through  :(
Wow those are thick indeed. Mines are definitely regular.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:45:50 »
Maybe you should get a set and help out the group buy  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:51:53 »

Though have you tried thick PBT?  I find in keyboard world there's a lot of "This is the best until you try this".  You never really know until you have tried them all  :P

Kinda why I'm asking now, I probably can only afford to buy 1 so I want to make sure I get the right one  :(

Each person has a different "best".  You might have to get some of each and try them yourself to find out which one you really prefer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:04:03 »
Each person has a different "best".  You might have to get some of each and try them yourself to find out which one you really prefer.

Nooooooooooo I was hoping I didn't have to go down this route LOL.

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:43:32 »

Nooooooooooo I was hoping I didn't have to go down this route LOL.

Hand over you wallet, Hyde! Time to give it up! lol~~ "FOR SCIENCE!"
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline Hyde

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:01:27 »
KEYBOARD SCIENCE !!!

Offline sovano

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:27:33 »
I'm becoming increasingly poor ever since I've dived back into the mechanical keyboard market. To the point where I may have to sell my current keyboards for my Ducky :(

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:30:57 »
I'm becoming increasingly poor ever since I've dived back into the mechanical keyboard market. To the point where I may have to sell my current keyboards for my Ducky :(

(I suddenly feel so sad to hear this...)
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:44:59 »
I was a bit unimpressed the first time I used ABS keycaps. After a week of usage I could see some visible finger prints on the keycaps.

Does anyone happen to own POM keycaps? Not really sure what to expect if I get one.

I had used thin POM for a while on a PLUM keyboard; compared to the ABS on my new Ducky Shining 2, they (POM) feel like they have more mass and were a bit more comfortable to type on concerning bottoming out w/o any O-rings.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:47:08 by Skull_Angel »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:17:14 »
I know some people will throw a fit for me saying this, but double shots feel pretty much the same as ABS to me. PBT on the other hand feel much much better, and make a deeper sound too. Thick PBT's are king though, but finding a set that's pretty and readily available is a pain.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:19:03 by noisyturtle »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 17:53:42 »

I've only had POM caps, and switching in a few SP ABS DS, The ABS keys feel... harder/sharper? It's definitely a noticeable difference.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 00:37:08 »
I know some people will throw a fit for me saying this, but double shots feel pretty much the same as ABS to me.

I think based on one of the picture I saw double shot are not any thicker than standard ABS, and double shots are made from ABS too.

So this could be why, but I could also be wrong there might be thicker double shot out there.

Thick PBT's are king though, but finding a set that's pretty and readily available is a pain.

I knowwwwww.  I'm trying to get thick PBT but don't want to get blue or grey.  So I'm waiting on this group buy to pull through for white thick PBT but the MOQ is so high (300) that it's taking a long time  :(

Help fellow geekhackers out ~~~  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31861.0

Offline ZcHuer

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:26:46 »
Feeling of PBT key caps varies for what sort of "PBT" is used for the key caps. I would say Cherry genuine PBT caps feel much better than others.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:41:08 »
I know some people will throw a fit for me saying this, but double shots feel pretty much the same as ABS to me.

I think based on one of the picture I saw double shot are not any thicker than standard ABS, and double shots are made from ABS too.

So this could be why, but I could also be wrong there might be thicker double shot out there.

You're probably thinking of doubleshots like SP's doubleshots, which are thin just like OEM ABS keys. Wait til you try original Cherry doubleshots - they have much more mass to them.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 06:56:25 »

Which set has that thickness?
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Hyde

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 12:49:33 »

Only the original Cherry double shots, not sure which keyboards have them.

BUT !!! There are thick PBT replicas being made which are here (both the white/grey/blue are made from the same factory so quality should be the same):

White Keycap With Various Options
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31861.0

Blue/Grey Keycaps
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35064.0

The white one needs 300 MOQ (minimum order quantity).  Which is the one we're shooting for now, should help us out on this one unless you really really want grey/blue (which has no minimum order number) lol.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 18:11:48 »
Well, thin keycaps are lighter than thick ones. That's one of the main reasons I keep my thin cherry PBT set around: for Cherry blues.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 20:54:27 »
Are thick keycaps no good for MX Blues?  :confused:

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 23:33:44 »

Only the original Cherry double shots, not sure which keyboards have them.

BUT !!! There are thick PBT replicas being made which are here (both the white/grey/blue are made from the same factory so quality should be the same):

White Keycap With Various Options
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31861.0

Blue/Grey Keycaps
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35064.0

The white one needs 300 MOQ (minimum order quantity).  Which is the one we're shooting for now, should help us out on this one unless you really really want grey/blue (which has no minimum order number) lol.

Just ordered the thick and blank ones. :D
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 21:08:43 »
I like the texture of PBT the best after that it would be POM followed by ABS.
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline winzds

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 13:47:25 »
pom
ds abs
pbt

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 01:20:18 »
I tried to quantify why I like thin ABS more than PBT, so I did a few typing test. In short, it is that I type ~10% faster on thin ABS caps with MX blues. The difference is negligible on browns and reds, but I do type slower on them to begin with. I get almost 110 average vs just under 100wpm (shush, I know these speeds are nothing to write home about, especially here amongst keyboard nerds.). May be it is all in my mind, but PBT felt heavier to press. I make significantly less transposition errors on 2-3 alternating hand letter combos with ABS for some reason. May be it's due to the more distinct tactile feedback. The average above is best effort, not including when I had to fix those stupid errors. If including, the difference would be much larger. I am sure I could eventually get used to the feel of PBT, but why bother? I already type faster with less effort. YMMV of course, though I am interested to see if anyone else type at different speeds between the different keycap material.