Author Topic: Now that you've taught me about WYSE boards, teach me about Cherry  (Read 2286 times)

Offline fl0w3n

So I can't help but scour eBay looking for potential keycaps from vintage boards to add to my (very) small collection, or some sweet vintage switches to salvage. 

Thing is, I don't quite know what I'm looking for...

I believe it's all in the "Article Number", and if it's got "H" in it, its got double shots? 

G80 1000, G80 1800, and G80 3000 series are good to look for? 

To my untrained eye, here's two that I found that look like potentials...but the LAMUS and LPNUS throw me off. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AT-Type-Clicker-Keyboard-5-Pin-DIN-Plug-Not-PS-2-Cherry-Model-D-91275-/180981604073?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a23581ee9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180993689462?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Can you guys so kindly guide me as to what model numbers to pay attention to, and possibly how to decipher them?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Now that you've taught me about WYSE boards, teach me about Cherry
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:18:13 »
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

in fact just read everything on DTwiki.

mkawa please dont ban me for linking to DT wiki :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:24:09 »
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

in fact just read everything on DTwiki.

mkawa please dont ban me for linking to DT wiki :P

Quick and easy, thanks.  I wish my searching had come up with this in the first place, hate asking a question that's so clearly and well documented of an answer :o

I second that, please don't ban this kind sir. 

Offline poopmat

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:34:08 »
where is the explanation of the wyse keyboards
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:34:47 »
poopmat seriously just go read the DT wiki
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:42:37 »
where is the explanation of the wyse keyboards

Well, it was mainly just everyone helping me get the WYSE keycaps pictured for my Filco...

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35982.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 01:22:15 »
So if everyone's trying to buy these old keyboards to salvage the key caps for newer keyboards - are the old keyboards worth anything?

Or is it all about the key caps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 01:41:39 »
So if everyone's trying to buy these old keyboards to salvage the key caps for newer keyboards - are the old keyboards worth anything?

Or is it all about the key caps?

I'd be interested to know this, too. Still got my G80-11900 lying around capless and wondering what to do with it.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline dirge

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 01:57:01 »
You should give the remains away to someone on the forum if it's no use to you, rather than look to claw money back from the remains.

At least desolder the switches and let someone have them.

And if it's nib vintage and compatible with modern pc's, and your just ripping the caps off...
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 03:21:36 »
You should give the remains away to someone on the forum if it's no use to you, rather than look to claw money back from the remains.

At least desolder the switches and let someone have them.

And if it's nib vintage and compatible with modern pc's, and your just ripping the caps off...

Fair enough. Figured that would be the answer. At least on my part, I wasn't asking for money issues. I was wondering whether it would be a mistake to let something rot in the cupboard if it's actually worth something. NB: the board I have is far from NIB and the switches are modern Blacks, not vintage.

I might look into restoring it and giving it a go sometime - looks fun to have a trackpad on the keyboard itself.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 03:23:26 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:24:47 »
If you're just interested in keycaps only, go for G81-****H**/H**** as NO ONE will cry about throwing away MY boards. For G80, it depends a lot on the model. While 11900 for example are not bad keyboards they are not really too sought after either. But if it's perfectly good no reason to trash it. Some models on the other hand like the 2000 are quite rare, and many would want to kick you in the balls for taking just the caps off of that one. Then you have some really old G80 models with model numbers under 0600 that may be XT only. Some are very rare, some not as much. Since they generally aren't usable without modding it might be debatable on parting it out, but it just depends on the model. Same goes for many newer models made between 2006-2009 where the only thing interesting about it is the doubleshots and it is otherwise identical to current production.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:32:18 »
If you're just interested in keycaps only, go for G81-****H**/H**** as NO ONE will cry about throwing away MY boards. For G80, it depends a lot on the model. While 11900 for example are not bad keyboards they are not really too sought after either. But if it's perfectly good no reason to trash it. Some models on the other hand like the 2000 are quite rare, and many would want to kick you in the balls for taking just the caps off of that one. Then you have some really old G80 models with model numbers under 0600 that may be XT only. Some are very rare, some not as much. Since they generally aren't usable without modding it might be debatable on parting it out, but it just depends on the model. Same goes for many newer models made between 2006-2009 where the only thing interesting about it is the doubleshots and it is otherwise identical to current production.

When I looked at the MY stems, they seem similar to MX...but wasn't sure the caps would fit.  You're saying MY caps are compatible with MX? 

I definitely wouldn't literally throw away the board, I'm too much of a pack-rat to do that.  I'd definitely offer it up here for basically free, even if I salvaged switches and keys.  Unless you meant "throwing away" by taking the keycaps from it, and then no one wanting it with non-original keycaps thus making it "trash". 

Again thanks for the help. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:46:09 »
MY and MX have the same stem mount. Doubleshots are the exact same on both, as are pom. PBT caps on my the larger stabilized keys are different and incompatible with Cherry MX stabilizers.
You got it with MY, no one will likely want a naked MY board. Some might potentially want case body if it is in better condition that someones G80, but other than that it would be considered as trash.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:49:18 by lysol »

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:39:53 »
MY and MX have the same stem mount. Doubleshots are the exact same on both, as are pom. PBT caps on my the larger stabilized keys are different and incompatible with Cherry MX stabilizers.
You got it with MY, no one will likely want a naked MY board. Some might potentially want case body if it is in better condition that someones G80, but other than that it would be considered as trash.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying that.