Author Topic: Cherry G80-3000 Blank Keycaps?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline floorman

Cherry G80-3000 Blank Keycaps?
« on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:07:40 »
Hello, (first post)

I have a Cherry G80-3000 LSCGB-2 Keyboard. I've been looking for a set of Blank keycaps and I recently bought this one set except they were horrible! (Taller keys, made of a different material which felt horrible and the spacebar and caps lock key didn't even fit).

Does anyone know of someone or somewhere that sells blank keycap sets for my keyboard? Or how would I go about blanking my keys without ruining them?

Thanks

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Cherry G80-3000 Blank Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:20:17 »
You should have just gotten the blank version to begin with, the G80-3000LPCXX-2, or the white version of the same board G80-3000LPCXX-0 which may be available elsewhere. Blank sets in Cherry profile in ISO for aftermarket are not available as far as I know. But if you don't mind an ANSI set with a few keys missing for ISO, feel free to join in my groupbuy for blank white set if you are interested.

...and welcome to geekhack.

Offline floorman

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:33:47 »
I didn't buy the LPCXX-2 because it didn't come with Cherry MX Blues and I don't really want to buy a whole keyboard for £80-90 just for the keycaps.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:42:10 »
Sadly to say the best option for you is probably to buy the LPCXX, switch the keycaps and sell the other one off. As long as your lasered caps are still in very good condition you may be able to get this done at a minimal loss.

As usual I will take this time to recommend buying ANSI boards in the future. ISO has jack for options on aftermarket sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:44:36 by lysol »

Offline floorman

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:56:09 »
Hmmm...OK then.

Thanks for the quick responses btw (should've said that in the first post).

What I'm going to do then is buy an LPCXX-2 switch the keycaps over and sell the LPCXX. I just need to find someone who is willing to buy. Might be someone on here actually.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:10:00 »
Sure no problem. Another thing to note if you prefer Cherry brand boards as I do, PCB mount is very easy to change switches on, so don't stress about the switch type as much as other things like KRO, connection type, color, etc when buying Cherry. The switch is the easiest thing to take care of once you have received it. Changing the switch type on these is a simple matter of popping open the switch tops and exchanging the stems and or springs as desired. For this reason it's also one of the best boards to try new switches out. You only need to buy the stem and spring parts which can often be had on this forum for very little cost.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:13:16 by lysol »