Author Topic: Engraved keys = How visible  (Read 2511 times)

Offline tillertow

Engraved keys = How visible
« on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 05:18:24 »
Hi there.
I'm trying to find out how visible engraved key caps are, and have looked in the different media threads?
however i can't seem to find any good pictures of engraved keys, or some that will give me a clear answer at least.

I've been thinking about getting an engraved key cap set from WASD (wish they had side printed), since they support my language and have the set in an ISO layout.
However, i'm unsure how easy it is to type on and/or see the engraved letters on these keys.
I'm still not able to type without looking at the keyboard sometimes but i'm getting there :)

Any of you guys have pictures of - preferably black - engraved keys laying around, i would love to see them.
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Engraved keys = How visible
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:44:32 »
They are not very visible if you have really good or really bad lighting.  The key legends show if the engraving casts a shadow.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 11:27:13 »
It really depends on lighting conditions and angle you look at them. If there is low ambient light, then it's hard to see the engraving, but with enough light it will cast enough shadow or contrast for you to see them.

Offline tillertow

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:07:52 »
I do like the look tho..
Is those keys on a black board Binge?
I was looking for a picture of gray keys on a black board, to see if i should get them..are they called dark gray?

Problem is that i hate my current keys, since they seem to wear very fast, so i either go with engraved or bright keys with black laser etched text,
since I've been told that they don't wear that fast
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 14:06:48 »
Those are light gray on black board.  It looks amazingly sharp.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 14:14:15 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."