Author Topic: Need Some Advice  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Zarlek

Need Some Advice
« on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:13:03 »
So bit of an annoying story for myself before i got my filco i had a Razer BWU for over 8 months of having the keyboard there was a small fault with one of the LED's on the U key where sometimes it would not illuminate and i would have to bash the key over and over to get it to come on. Anyway long story short i sent it for RMA hoping to get a brand new keyboard which i could then resell.

So i get a package today thinking it would be my brand new bwu look inside the packaging to find the rma receipt telling me that no fault was found and that my rma has been rejected.

Now having explained the fault exactly in detail before sending it off im wandering how it could come back to me as no fault found seeing as at least once per day the led would stop working.

So the advice i need, is it worth my time + shipping money to apply for another rma and hope that this time they can actually see the led fault or am i likely to get it rejected again? I did the rma through the company i bought the board from not razer itself, is it maybe worth an rma through razer instead?

Im guessing its going to be much harder to resell a faulty BWU for anything like the cash i expected for NiB.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Need Some Advice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:22:02 »
If you know to solder, just open it and repair the bad solder joint (my guess is all that is wrong with it) yourself.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:23:09 »
If it is an intermittent fault, you might be sending it back and forth dozens of times before the vendor actually sees the fault.  Especially if you are paying for the postage.

If you are keen to just sell it, and only one LED has an intermittent fault, you might try selling it as-is with disclosure, and maybe someone who is comfortable with soldering would buy it and fix it.

Or, replace the LED yourself.  It is probably not worthwhile to pay someone to fix it for you.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MechKey

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:29:02 »
That's what you get for trying to scam the manufacturer.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 21:19:49 »
^ Not really.  If it is a defective LED, then it is a defective LED.  If it did not light at all, I would expect the vendor would replace the keyboard with no questions.  The problem is that sometimes it works, so the vendor simply says "it works".

At the price that mechanical keyboards sell for, you would expect it to fully work.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zarlek

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 11:52:33 »
In no way am i trying to scam the manufacturer. When i phoned up and explained the issue i was told i was entitled to an rma. It was a fault i had been living with on my board for 8 months, the only reason i hadnt rma'd sooner was that i had no other board to use while that one would have been rma'd.

So yea i guess in the end il just have to sell the board with full disclosure about the fault but im sure there is a sizeable difference in price between an 8 month old well used board with an led fault and a nib board  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 16:04:47 »
A lot of enthusiasts would be able to fairly easily change the LED, especially those who build their own keyboards.

So really it comes down to the difference between an 8 month old well-used board and a NIB board - and you will get that difference for almost anything with that level of usage.

Actually, if it was 8 months of heavy usage for a BlackWidow Ultimate and your only complaint is an intermittent LED, you have done pretty well :)  A lot of people have far more serious issues with the BWU.