Author Topic: Need help deciding on a board?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
Need help deciding on a board?
« on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:43:18 »
I've been looking around the internet for a few months now, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Cherry mx blues or browns. Not sure what brand to go for either. Preferably a keyboard with a solid build and good reputation. It would be nice to keep the budget under 100 USD as well.

So far the brands I've looked at are:
-Leopold
-Filco
-CM
-Topre(way off my budget)
-Rosewill

Any ideas/opinions?

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
Re: Need help deciding on a board?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:52:16 »
I started out with a Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Browns and never regretted a single second of it.  Of course, I love thick Cherry doubleshots on it more than the stock caps, but they're still leaps and bounds beyond any non-mechanical boards keycaps (the stock Filco ones).

If I were to suggest any keyboard to anyone on the spot, it would be that one.  I was in your same position and someone did the same for me, I went for it, and everything has worked perfectly.  Filcos cost a bit more, of course, but I definitely love the solid build quality.  You might be able to get a good deal on a "used" one, too, if you're not in a hurry to purchase.

I also managed to get my employer to purchase 30 or so WASD boards with browns and everyone seems to like them, too.  I don't like the case as much though since it feels/sounds more hollow than the Filco, as it's not right up against the metal plate/innards.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:56:35 »
Solid build + good reputation + under $100 = Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Rapid.
They sell new for around $55.

It is made by the same company that makes Filco keyboards.

I personally prefer blue to brown.  If you don't mind clicking when you press the keys down go with blue. The actuation point on brown is not as distinct and you won't feel it if typing fast, since it is made to be a silent version of blue.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:07:09 »
If you want an 87 key, go for the CM Rapid. If you want a full 104, Rosewill (but make sure to buy when it's on sale).

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:25:19 »
I have a Filco.  It's nice, but it seems like it is overrated now a days.  Go for the CM or Rosewill, and treat yourself to a nice set of Cherry two-shot keycaps :)

The combo of any Costar keyboard with a plate mount + Cherry two-shot keycaps > any high end mechanical keyboard

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:37:01 »
I had a Rosewill with blues for a few minutes once upon a time, this is what I said about it in another post:

"personally i bought an mx blue a while ago and immediately returned it, no real reason to get one of these:  if you can afford one, just save a little more for a filco or something.  keycaps are hideous too, and they felt more wobbly than my filcos.  that USB port seems to be a common point of failure too and mine was exceptionally loose out of the box"

of course a lot of that could be subjective, and a Rosewill is way beyond any rubber dome board if you do have a more strict budget.  especially if you throw cherry caps on it later like sherryton said

i didn't like blues because they'd click before they key would actuate, but i'm going to give them another chance at some point down the road to see if i can get used to them in a different board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:27:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I had a Filco on order until recently, when the supplier advised that that model was no longer available.

Since then I have talked myself (with valuable input from Geekhack) into a CM QFR (and later a set of custom key caps from WASD to duplicate the look of the original Filco).

So based on what I have recently learned, go CM (although is you are in US, you have more options than us in Australia).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline uJalled

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:35:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I had a Filco on order until recently, when the supplier advised that that model was no longer available.

Since then I have talked myself (with valuable input from Geekhack) into a CM QFR (and later a set of custom key caps from WASD to duplicate the look of the original Filco).

So based on what I have recently learned, go CM (although is you are in US, you have more options than us in Australia).

So I'm actually pretty fond of the Otaku look. You could call me a minimalist :3. Does it work if I buy a CM and then switch the keycaps to blank ones? Not a big fan of keycaps the CM seems to come with

Offline tcv

Re: Re: Need help deciding on a board?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:36:46 »
I've been looking around the internet for a few months now, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Cherry mx blues or browns. Not sure what brand to go for either. Preferably a keyboard with a solid build and good reputation. It would be nice to keep the budget under 100 USD as well.

So far the brands I've looked at are:
-Leopold
-Filco
-CM
-Topre(way off my budget)
-Rosewill

Any ideas/opinions?

Filco, browns

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 20:56:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

So I'm actually pretty fond of the Otaku look. You could call me a minimalist :3. Does it work if I buy a CM and then switch the keycaps to blank ones? Not a big fan of keycaps the CM seems to come with

This! Especially in the budget. I'd still like some blank PBT caps for my Leopold. I use a Leopold and the Filco (pink case) that I got for my girl doesn't seem any higher quality. But that is money/time for later. You could always try to go this route as well if you want/need to keep costs at an absolute minimum (relative to having "just" a keyboard with which to type).
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 22:08:54 »
If this is your first board I'd go for the Filco with browns if you can afford it, cm qfr if you can't. By the way the only Filco with browns in stock at Amazon, assuming you live in the US, is the camo.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline uJalled

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 08:18:35 »
What do you think of the Ducky DK1087? Its built by a reputable manufacturer and its in a good price range.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 10:37:55 »
1087 was early model and is not as good as current 9087. Some non backlight (well the wasd is still backlight, but not the full board) 9087 G2 Pro like this one are finally starting to trickle onto the market for sale.

Offline uJalled

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 11:29:57 »
Btw, does the KeyboardCo ship to the US? I heard it's really expensive to import from the UK

Offline nullstring

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 11:32:01 »
I would recommend getting a rosewill keyboard for ~$64 from newegg when they go on sale.
Same manufacture as Filco.

Offline hakujin

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 20:07:00 »
Rosewill or CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. Costar manufactured (like Filco).

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 23:44:11 »
What do you think of the Ducky DK1087? Its built by a reputable manufacturer and its in a good price range.

The 10XX models are not as good as the 90XX models. Cheaper build quality overall. If you're going to get a Ducky, stick with the 90XX models.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 02:16:42 »
Solid build + good reputation + under $100 = Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Rapid.
They sell new for around $55.

It is made by the same company that makes Filco keyboards.

I personally prefer blue to brown.  If you don't mind clicking when you press the keys down go with blue. The actuation point on brown is not as distinct and you won't feel it if typing fast, since it is made to be a silent version of blue.

I paid 60 for mine! Now I feel ripped off!

Great board I would recommend it.

I enjoy the click on my blues but type much slower on them than my browns.
SmallFry! <3

Offline maui

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:05:54 »

I love my DK1087 (black switches), I got it a couple of months now. I don't have any mechanical keyboards to compare it with, but the 'quality control issues' seem to be a thing of the past.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 15:19:01 »
1087 was early model and is not as good as current 9087. Some non backlight (well the wasd is still backlight, but not the full board) 9087 G2 Pro like this one are finally starting to trickle onto the market for sale.
Show Image

Damn, Ducky has some nice looking boards. How much is this one like $120 Shipped?
SmallFry! <3

Offline trentva

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 08:46:48 »
topre