Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 2415 times)

Offline life617

Is it worth it?
« on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 07:34:59 »
Hey guys,

Since I got no replies to my last post (White Filco Red Switches) I have been having this internal debate on whether I should wait and be patient, or pull the trigger and spend ~$300 just to get this board i am desperately wanting.

White Filco w/ Black Switches - ~$140
100x Cherry Red Switches - ~$100
Blank PBT Keycaps -~ $40-90
Time- ~5 hours

Do you guys think White (not beige) filcos with red switches will ever be on the market again?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 07:39:58 »
White and beige Filcos are the same thing.  "White" is actually off-white.

Offline life617

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 07:47:45 »
Really? Thank you! This will save me a lot of heartache and disappointment. Do you know of any white boards besides the soon to be available white leopold (I have read their spacebars are difficult to get keycaps for)?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:46:40 »
Yeah I own a white/beige filco and what he said is true.  Filco only make off-white filco.  My guess is that by adding a tiny bit of tint to it, when it start to yellow it will not be noticeable and it should look decent for longer period of time  :P

As for white boards, I only know Leopold, MEKA G1 white version, and Rosewill white version.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:49:17 »
There used to be white duckys, and the ducky year of the rabbit edition.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:58:37 »
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=3982938

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/mechanical-keyboard-plu/plu-87-tenkeyless-mechanical-k/lid=18987735

Not sure if you are out for a 104 or 87, assuming 87 the above may be of interest to you if a white tenkeyless with cherry reds is what you are seeking.  I don't mean to say that these are a 100% replacement for a filco, but it is something worth looking at.
Erlang your pants off

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:13:12 »
I'm actually planning to paint my black Filco a very bright white.  I want a gloss finish and that's really the only way you could get it.

Offline life617

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:08:13 »
What is the method you use to paint a keyboard?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:40:52 »
Fill your bathtub with paint.  Then drop the entire keyboard in there - case, keys, cable... everything.  Leave it for about 5 minutes then take it outside and bury it in about a foot of sand.  Wait about a week and dig it up.

Either that or you could spray paint it.

Offline life617

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:18:10 »
I will get right on that... how much paint do you think it will take to fill up my bathtub? Unfortunately there is no sand near where I live... will dirt suffice?

I appreciate you informing about the filco (much gratitude ^_^), but why even reply if you are not going to be helpful in any sort of way whatsoever?

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:17:42 »
If you want to take a look at TKL or 75% boards, iirc the white Keycool boards are a bright-white.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:22:08 »
Well, I could have just said "spray paint", but that seemed too simple so I decided to have some fun with it.  :rolleyes:  You could fill entire threads with tips for proper paint technique (and those threads exist on geekhack).  If you've never spray painted something before and you aren't quite prepared, then your best luck might be contracting MagicMeatball to do it for you.

I can tell you that the main thing that people don't usually think about is where to do it.  It makes a big mess yet requires a relatively clean work environment.  I've actually never painted anything that wasn't made out of wood.  I had to go online and read up on it.  Short answer: come on dude, do your homework.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:27:44 by metalliqaz »

Offline life617

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 15:48:24 »
I appreciate your more informed reply.  The first thing I did after reading
I'm actually planning to paint my black Filco a very bright white.  I want a gloss finish and that's really the only way you could get it.
was to search Google on how to set about this task. I found multiple results and skimmed through them, I then asked you in hopes I might gain more information (your input on the best method) :).