Author Topic: Super Noob Steelseries 7G Keycap Removal  (Read 2224 times)

Offline sh0nuff

Super Noob Steelseries 7G Keycap Removal
« on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:51:00 »
Everyone hates a noob, but everyone is one at one point.

I have a Steelseries 7G, and the "w" key sticks all the time.  Not physically, but I'm guessing the contact might have some detritus causing this to happen.  I have searched the web, and many suggestions all end up here.  Not wanting to repeat a post, I searched the site as best I could prior to posting this, but the only threads I could find either no longer exist, or are not exactly what I'm looking for. I also searched the wiki to no avail

So, disclaimer done... How the heck to I remove a single keycap safely? Its mentioned everywhere that its simple, but I'm afraid of damaging my keyboard. 

Thanks guys! Hope i dont get lots of eye rolls for this :/

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: Super Noob Steelseries 7G Keycap Removal
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:51:33 »
Nobody hates noobs here! Welcome!

Your best bet is a keypuller which you will find lots of options for.

If you like to live dangeriously, a paperclip will do http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/home-made-key-pullers-t347.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:53:24 by i3oilermaker »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:55:39 »

Paperclip will work.  Don't just pull, wiggle the keycap back and forth a little bit as you pull up on it.  It should come right off without any issues.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:57:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack, you can pick up a wire keycap puller from the link below.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-wire-keycap-puller-tool.html
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline biochem

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 11:01:24 »
Welcome to GeekHack!
Here is a youtube video from WASDkeyboards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=NsZqAU9u0-w
Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline sh0nuff

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 11:46:49 »
Thanks guys!

You sure know how to make me feel welcome...

I am just used to the flaming I got when I joined the TDIforums for my VW and all my questions were ignored or removed. Same went for XDA forums.

That said, I'm stoked to be here. :)

Offline bounce

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 16:35:40 »
Thats a litte strange, the keycaps on my 7gare reallz loose some even come off when i turn the keyboard upside Down by themselves

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 16:43:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If this is the first time the key caps have been removed from this keyboard, they might be a little bit tigher than usual due to factory fitting.  Once you have removed a few, the rest will seem easy.  It is always the first one that you worry about damaging something :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ