Author Topic: What is the "Def F" key?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Catweazle

What is the "Def F" key?
« on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 13:48:05 »
I recently acquired a Lexmark Model M and noticed something I have never seen before. On the Esc key it has "Def F" printed on the front side of the key. I tried looking it up online but haven't really found any information about it. Can anyone shed some light on this mystery? I've also never seen ESC written in all caps on a key.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2012, 13:52:09 by Catweazle »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: What is the "Def F" key?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 13:51:09 »
Hmm... interesting.  Never heard of that before.  Pics?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 13:54:24 »
I dunno, oldschool hip hop slang, Def Fresh?

Offline Catweazle

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 14:00:21 »
If the keycap is original to the keyboard, you may have a different part number variant that was produced for a specific application, such as a custom order by a company running specific software that would have Escape mapped to...whatever Def F means.

What's the part number? Google may tell us things...

I was thinking it might be a custom key, the font does seem a bit different than the others. The part number is 1397651, manufactured in 1992 by Lexmark for Dell.

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 14:05:24 »
I've also never seen ESC written in all caps on a key.

For what it's worth SP does that: http://www.keycapsdirect.com/redesc.php

(Although you were probably implying that you'd never seen a Model M with such a thing.)
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Catweazle

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 14:09:20 »
I've also never seen ESC written in all caps on a key.

For what it's worth SP does that: http://www.keycapsdirect.com/redesc.php

(Although you were probably implying that you'd never seen a Model M with such a thing.)

Yes, or any keyboard really. I was just curious if anyone had seen it before and knew what it stood for. Maybe Dell had a special program on their old computers that used it (Define Function maybe?). The keyboard is like new and doesn't appear to have ever been used so I was assuming it came with it originally, though I supposed someone may have put it on afterwards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 14:17:55 »
My first thought was "Define Function".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 20:38:29 »
A Dell M though...Cool!