Author Topic: Re: Fit of WASD Keycaps  (Read 3302 times)

Offline R54

Re: Fit of WASD Keycaps
« on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 00:23:33 »
Today I got some new keycaps for my das keyboard. Upon removing the keycaps from the Das and comparing the force needed to remove the replacements from WASD, it seems like the WASD ones have a tighter fit on the switches. Which brings me to my question.

Does the additional force needed to both remove as well as properly seat the WASD keycaps on the swtiches pose a potential issue for long term switch reliability, or does the construction of the das keyboard (namely the plate) help prevent this.

Thanks much for your help!

Offline R54

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 00:41:28 »
Also, here are some pictures of the new keycaps :D Not sure about them since I haven't had any non-stock stuff on here, but I think I'm liking it

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Re: Fit of WASD Keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 01:00:14 »
On - no.  Once the switch bottoms out it bottoms out.  Pressing it harder won't make much difference (unless you use a hammer.

Off - could do.  It is possible to rip the stem out of the switch if you pull too hard, if the key cap is too tight as fit on the stem.  Just be careful when removing them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline R54

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 01:09:59 »
On - no.  Once the switch bottoms out it bottoms out.  Pressing it harder won't make much difference (unless you use a hammer.

Off - could do.  It is possible to rip the stem out of the switch if you pull too hard, if the key cap is too tight as fit on the stem.  Just be careful when removing them.
I see. So is there any "half-way" failure where you partially rip the stem out? Either way, I'll be more careful removing them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 04:15:57 »
I suppose you could partially dislodge the top of the switch, but that would weaken the switch structure and lead to failure sooner rather than later.

You should always take care when removing key caps - try to wriggle the key cap off rather than just jerking it upwards.  And I try to steady the cap so it comes straight up (in case the key cap puller slips off one side, for example).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 05:37:08 »
ahhh.. dat das. such a beautiful keyboard.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline ranviper

• Nerd.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 13:03:12 »
Dude that das is hot. Wow. lol.
ENVY!
EC66 | MIYA

Offline R54

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:05:58 »
Dude that das is hot. Wow. lol.
ENVY!
ahhh.. dat das. such a beautiful keyboard.
Do you think it looks better post keycaps? Still undecided personally but it's growing on me.

Cheers!!

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 20:28:33 »
... it seems like the WASD ones have a tighter fit on the switches...
Does the additional force needed to both remove as well as properly seat the WASD keycaps on the swtiches pose a potential issue for long term switch reliability, or does the construction of the das keyboard (namely the plate) help prevent this.

Hi R54,

WASD keys are made by the same tooling Filco uses and they are usually very tight fitting. Does this pose a potential problem to the switch when removal is difficult? YES, it does, however, if you are cautious you should generally be fine. In fairness though I should mention that you can pull the switch stem out of the housing by accident if it's to tight. If the switch cannot easily be reasembled afterwards or pressed back in or if the contacts are bent terribly then it will likely not work. The bigger problem is the potential for the pcb contacts to weaken or trace damage to occur with excessive and forcefully handling. This can happen with or without the addition of a plate.

If it's tight, then use a firm but gentle rocking/wiggle when pulling up.
...geee that sounded dirty!  =D

-cc  OUT!
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 20:55:37 »
^^ :)
Poker
QFR

Offline R54

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 23:09:27 »
... it seems like the WASD ones have a tighter fit on the switches...

Hi R54,

WASD keys are made by the same tooling Filco uses and they are usually very tight fitting. Does this pose a potential problem to the switch when removal is difficult? YES, it does, however, if you are cautious you should generally be fine. In fairness though I should mention that you can pull the switch stem out of the housing by accident if it's to tight. If the switch cannot easily be reasembled afterwards or pressed back in or if the contacts are bent terribly then it will likely not work. The bigger problem is the potential for the pcb contacts to weaken or trace damage to occur with excessive and forcefully handling. This can happen with or without the addition of a plate.

If it's tight, then use a firm but gentle rocking/wiggle when pulling up.
...geee that sounded dirty!  =D

-cc  OUT!

Thanks!! I honestly didn't think I'd you reply to a beginning keyboard enthusiast's queries, but I appreciate the help!

I ended up taking off the RGB modifiers that I had on there, and I think it gives it a more clean look.

Cheers!
R54

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:31:57 »
I think key cap fit is a subject close to CC's heart ;)

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 23:56:00 »
I got a space bar from WASD Keyboards and it does fit a little tighter than any of my other keys. It has not caused me any issues. You should be all good!  ;D
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (lubed)