Author Topic: HHKB Pro2 Design Flaw?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline DEAD_BEEF

HHKB Pro2 Design Flaw?
« on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:01:18 »
Just wondering what people think about the HHKB. I haven't had a chance to put my mitts on one yet but to me it seems that having the Fn key on the right hand side is a poor choice considering most of the embedded keys are also on the right hand side. I would have liked to see two of them, there is space for an extra one after all. Why a detachable cable? Is there much difference between the standard and the silent?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: HHKB Pro2 Design Flaw?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:05:56 »
The FN key position and Fn layer are the best that you can get on a board.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
HHKB Pro2 Design Flaw?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:22:26 »
Just wondering what people think about the HHKB. I haven't had a chance to put my mitts on one yet but to me it seems that having the Fn key on the right hand side is a poor choice considering most of the embedded keys are also on the right hand side. I would have liked to see two of them, there is space for an extra one after all. Why a detachable cable? Is there much difference between the standard and the silent?
there's a dip switch option for 2 fn keys which is what I use personally

why not a detach cable, I find it much more preferable then attached ones, is there a reason why you don't like detach?

There are videos on YouTube to show the difference between the pro2 and type S, some feel the difference is huge while others feel the difference isn't enough. It might be one of those things you have to try out with your own hands
Keyboardless

Offline DEAD_BEEF

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:34:34 »
Sorry about that, I should have looked more closely on EK, SW4 is exactly what I was looking for. As for the detachable USB cable, those little connectors always feel so frail to me. I think I might try for the Type-S if EK gets it back in stock soon enough. 

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:09:44 »
How could you not use the Fn key and reach all of the Fn layer on the right hand side of the board with one hand?

Offline DEAD_BEEF

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:14:14 »
It isn't a question of reach but comfort.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:17:46 »
It's very comfy for me, I love the Fn button on the right. I couldn't give up ALT or super key!