Author Topic: Hey GH! Need some help with a keyboard decision.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Vintage

Hey GH! Need some help with a keyboard decision.
« on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:55:06 »
Hey!

So I was waiting out for the WASD V2 TKL to come out for my first mech board. But, I read the post on their blog that said it was being delayed until Feb/March next year.I was willing to wait until Christmasto replace my Logitech K200, but IDK about March. On top of that, I wanted to get MX Browns with it, which apparently are about to get pretty scarce soon. So now I am wondering if I should buy the current WASD V1, which is nice but I would kinda prefer a TKL  because of more room for the mouse, or if I should go for a CM Storm QFR while Browns are still in stock. Whatever I get, I may decide to sell it on Ebay or something and but the V2 when it comes out. Then again I may not if I am content with what I get.

I would prefer the WASD but I don't like the full-size for factor as much, and I am a little worried about the cable. It is high quality but It's not replaceable, so if it breaks it would be a pain to fix it. The "bright LEDs are not too concerning to me. i would definitely like the customization/asthetics of the WASD a lot more than the QFR, but the QFR is a lot cheaper and I think it may hold better resale value because it is more generic. 

Anyway, I am kinda confused about what I should do about this. Any advice/opinions?
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Hey GH! Need some help with a keyboard decision.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:05:15 »
I think you should be examining more options than just WASD.  I would go for the TKL.  Very popular options include Filco Majestouch 2 ($150), Leopold FC200R ($100), CMStorm Quickfire Rapid ($60-80).  You can buy custom keycaps from WASD and put them on a QFR.  Check the compatibility page at WASD for other possible options.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:24:20 »
I am. It's just that the only one I can justify paying more than $100 for is the WASD. The Filco is overpriced IMO and the Leopold used costar stabilizers and is more expensive than the CM Storm. Maybe if I could find the FC700R with PBT caps somewhere, I may consider it.

ATM, I am trying to decide how important TKL is to me.....

Thanks though.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:28:49 »
Erm, Filco and CM Storm are Costar stabs... Leopold uses Cherry. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Vintage

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 16:02:28 »
Yeah, my bad I meant Cherry stabilizers.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 16:27:47 »
Why is mx brown supposed to be scarce soon? I just noticed that all of the mx brown for the Ducky Shine 2 on mechanicalkeyboards.com is out of stock.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 16:32:17 »
Logitech.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 16:35:26 »
Oh... Well that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that. I've also noticed there aren't many brown mx Filcos on Amazon.com either...
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Vintage

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 17:11:40 »
Ohh really? I am surprised that the logitech board is really going to be that popular.

That's definitely annoying.

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 18:18:33 »
Ohh really? I am surprised that the logitech board is really going to be that popular.

That's definitely annoying.

I'm not sure it has to do with popularity...just that they built, or plan to build a lot of them. Or use the switches in other boards.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline Vintage

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 19:35:41 »
Darn you Logitech!    :)

Anyone have an idea of how much I would be able to sell a WASD v1 or CM Storm QFR for on Ebay in 6 months?

Or if the Leoplold FC700R is available in the US? IDK why Elitekeyboards does not sell them.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 20:47:52 »
Darn you Logitech!    :)

Anyone have an idea of how much I would be able to sell a WASD v1 or CM Storm QFR for on Ebay in 6 months?

Or if the Leoplold FC700R is available in the US? IDK why Elitekeyboards does not sell them.

I got my QFR new for 60 bucks. It's a great deal. resale maybe 40-50 bucks but who knows lol.

Oh... Well that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that. I've also noticed there aren't many brown mx Filcos on Amazon.com either...
They better not be buying my QFTrigger. I need to get that by the end of the month for that rebate! Browns are great boards and all but I think they are one of the more common ones.

I have a Das that is brown. Anyone think that the QFT will be any different than the Das? I love my Das but I want a different experience and QFT looks fancy enough to do so.
What would you guys get as a switch for a QFT?

I am. It's just that the only one I can justify paying more than $100 for is the WASD. The Filco is overpriced IMO and the Leopold used costar stabilizers and is more expensive than the CM Storm. Maybe if I could find the FC700R with PBT caps somewhere, I may consider it.

ATM, I am trying to decide how important TKL is to me.....

Thanks though.

Chinese(or Taiwanese I am not sure) are great boards for the price! You should check those out! http://attarian.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.2-6823789855.1.daa96f

I have the QFR and It is a very nice and solid board, and the low price makes it all the better!
SmallFry! <3

Offline Vintage

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 08:19:54 »
Hmmm... That's intersiting. I may consider buying a KBT board to hold me over for 6 months. It's kinda cool that they are PCB mounted because I would be able to remove switches if I wanted. Does that site you linked sell in the US?, because it's all in Chinese.

With a QFT, I would get either Reds or Browns. It's going to have matte paint on the keys and have some more features than a Das. And you won't have to clean fingerprints as much as you would on a Das too.