Author Topic: Full Keyboard with Larger Keys Info Request  (Read 1361 times)

Offline sirylj

Full Keyboard with Larger Keys Info Request
« on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 00:45:46 »
*Reposting part of my post from the new members forum since I'm not sure if it really belongs there (sorry I if I shouldn't repost this or something similar)

For a while now, off and on I have searched for a full-sized keyboard with extra large keys (not print, physically larger keys).
I have found BigKeys and several other brands or types of keyboard that offer slightly larger key sizes, but have yet to find one which offers a full 105-key setup.
I am trying to find such a keyboard for my father who has trouble with the small key size on every keyboard he deals with.
After measuring the keyboard I use now, the keys in home-row are 0.5 inches square, I was hoping to increase the key size to about 0.75 inches square (and possibly scale the rest of the board), but not to much greater as to end with a unwieldy and overly large keyboard.
So if anyone can help me towards a keyboard or service they know of that can produce these results, I would be greatly happy with the help (and so would my dad).

For the TL;DR crowd :: I'm sirylj, and I need a 105-key keyboard with home-row key sizes of about 0.75 inches square.

(I don't have experience with doing so, but if this requires that I build a keyboard, through whatever means that requires, please provide the information so I can at least give it my best attempt.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 15:44:17 by sirylj »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Keyboard Info Request
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 07:45:39 »
We had a long discussion a year ago, lost in the R00TW0RM debacle, when I was trying to sell a "children's" keyboard and listed it as good for the elderly.

It was branded for Milton-Bradley, very colorful, and the large flat keys had a 1" pitch instead of the usual 3/4" and, as a bonus, simplified white Alps that gave a nice click.

After being ridiculed in this forum for weeks, I finally sold it on ebay for about $35 and the buyer said that his grandmother was absolutely delighted with it.

Here are some options that might be viable:

http://www.yourstoreonline.net/big_bright_ez_see_keyboard_mouse/id2040682/product.html?gclid=clbx4egmjbmcfq45naodtloarq

http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Large-Key-Large-Print-Keyboards/KinderBoard

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chester-Creek-Large-Key-1-Keyboard/11060744

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline sirylj

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:46:05 »
Hello and thanks for the links.

While a keyboard with a larger pitch sounds like a good step in the right direction, my father has remarked before that while extra room between keys would be helpful (he will not touch a laptop keyboard).

Even a desktop keyboard simply does not offer enough room, and that he would much rather just have the physical key size be larger.

I will look for the Milton-Bradley keyboard you described and for keyboards with larger pitch now that you have mentioned it.

Thanks for the help and resources.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:53:47 »
The standard pitch of Cherry MX key spacing is in fact .75 inches exactly.  The tops of the keycaps are quite a bit narrower however.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sirylj

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 15:42:07 »
Pitch would certainly be helpful in a new keyboard and will be something I look for, as my father attempting to type is akin to me trying to type while wearing leather gloves (in addition to having to hunt-and-peck — something else I'm currently working on).

This post is the body of a post I made in the new members thread, which got a response about information on topics in the DIY section with information on how to build one. I am more than willing to build a keyboard if necessary, but how to obtain keycaps with a 0.75 inch face (my goal size, 1 inch might be too much) would be a mystery, so any info available on obtaining or creating would be great.

EDIT: Just found this thread in the DIY section someone wrote about how he made keycaps out of molds of an original keycap. If I added a resin or something else onto it, it might work at scaling it up to 0.75 inches or some size like it. If I did, would normal keycaps off of any keyboard work? And would a 105-key set be reasonable?

Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 19:46:32 by sirylj »