Author Topic: Decisions on which keyboard Ducky Shine 2 9008 or KBTalking Race  (Read 2648 times)

Offline S0aringF1r3

Decisions on which keyboard Ducky Shine 2 9008 or KBTalking Race
« on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 14:06:42 »
hey guys having a dilemma here between the ducky shine 2 9008 and the KB talking race ( tenkeyless) i'd probably use it for my desktop.. and i dont take my keyboard around me much so basically it just stays there on my desk.. so i need help on deciding whether to get the ducky or the RACE.. i use it for A lil gaming and a lil typing.. so its 50/50.. and TBH, eventho they have the cool features on the Ducky, i doubt i would even use it probably cuz when u're gaming u wouldnt bother looking at ur keyboard.. i just want a keyboard that is comfortable for typing and worth my pennies :) .. And another thing that is bothering me is that, will i feel more comfortable when i place my mouse just right beside the TENKEYLESS keyboard instead of a full-including-numpad keyboard?... if its more comfortable to place my mouse beside the tenkeyless keyboard i'd probably go for the RACE.. but does it AFFECT my posture/health/comfortability? Thanks guys.
and if there is any Authorised Reseller SHOP. not online store. in taiwan that is selling Ducky keyboard SHINE 2 9008 may i know the shop and the address? pls and thankyou..

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: Decisions on which keyboard Ducky Shine 2 9008 or KBTalking Race
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 15:29:31 »
Just go to BaDe road. Plenty of shops have it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 18:52:40 »
There is a school of thought that suggests that a TKL is more ergonomic.  Having the mouse closer means that you don't need to hold your mous hand out at an angle from your body as much.

Unless you do a lot of number entry with the key pad, go TKL.  You can always get a separate numpad later on anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 19:21:27 »
There is a school of thought that suggests that a TKL is more ergonomic.  Having the mouse closer means that you don't need to hold your mous hand out at an angle from your body as much.

Unless you do a lot of number entry with the key pad, go TKL.  You can always get a separate numpad later on anyway.

This!
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 02:20:14 »
It might sound weird, but I got my first TKL keyboard today (CM QRF MX blacks).

I tend to judge the distance to the arrow keys from where the number pad is, so it's still kinda throwing me out.

But my mouse is closer on the right, and it feels as if the entire keyboard is right in front of me, and the mouse just here too.  Surprisingly, after only about an hour, I already really like this setup.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Amarok

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 03:04:46 »
I switched to a TKL about month ago and it's great. I was a bit weary of switching because I could have sworn a used my number pad quite a bit. Turns out I didn't and I've only ever gone to try and use it a couple of times.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 05:21:38 »
If you're interested in TKL, you can PM imsto, he's selling ducky YOTD for 160$ includes shipping + free stuff too. :o

TBH, I thought I couldn't live without the numpad, but I'm currently using the CM QFR, it's totally awesome. :)
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 05:37:46 »

I'm right handed and learned the fine art of mouse management with my left hand. No WASD crap, ergonomic and easy to achieve a level of dexterity good enough to perform well in FPS games.

I'm always amazed to see how malleable is our brain.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline S0aringF1r3

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 15:25:12 »
wow guys thanks for the reply.. nearly got the Ducky shine 2.. but now im still not really decided on which to get yet... the only thing im afraid bout TKL keyboard is that, 'will it be too small'? will i feel very uncomfortable while typing?.. and yes i agree i dont use the numnpad.. i dont think i've even use it more than once in a week.. so yea... hope to get more decisions from u guys.. i've already had the BWU by the way.. its good.. feels comfortable to type with..
Apart from that guys, WHAT IF i''ve made up my mind to get the tenkeyless keyboard, which brand do u recommend me to go for? preferbably with backlits.. is a KBtalking a wise choice?  but the only thing i hate is that this red thingy http://www.inpad.com.tw/goods.php?act=view&no=6636 ( scroll down) the red thingy between the gaps is bothering me..  besides that, i've did my researches, some of the users claimed that the CM storm font of the keys tend to fade very easily? and i dont even think i'll grab the CM storm TKL keyboards cause its half backlitted.. thanks guys. have a great day ahead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 18:51:04 »
Will it be too small?  Only in overall physical size, obviously, as the numpad is missing.

But the rest of the keyboard is exactly the same size as a full-sized keyboard.

There is a sorta group by on Ducky YoTD TKL with backlighting at the moment: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36090.0

Offline S0aringF1r3

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 00:22:54 »
oh ok thanks rowdy. so what is the currency that is charged by insto? the guy who is selling Ducky yeor of the dragon keyboard. Thanks guys.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 04:28:13 »
AFAIK he accepts PayPal, and they will convert your local currency accordingly.  But best you post directly in that thread with relevant questions. and/or PM imsto.

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 04:57:31 »
I really love the Race because of the profile on its keys. It is completely custom. I type alot faster with it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Decisions on which keyboard Ducky Shine 2 9008 or KBTalking Race
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:38:16 »
That's the thing - no matter which keyboard you name, someone will step up and say they absolutely love it :)

If you get one now but are still undecided, you can always get a second. You will need somewhere to display your custom keycap collection anyway.

Offline S0aringF1r3

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 06:04:02 »
So true rowdy.. Haha... Still undecided... But the major thing that is bothering me now is that the Kbtalking race has this red circuit board and eve tho there are keycaps, the gaps can still see thru it.. But itz cheap.. As in the price, on the other hand, Ducky dragon is cool! But is it worth the extra buck to spent on? I mean I would not get 2 keyboards. I mean if the Ducky dragon is a much better choice compare to the Kbtalking race, why not? So yea...... And I don't really modify/change keycaps on my keyboard. I'dprobably just play some games and some normal typing after I get a TKL keyboard. So yea. And btw guys I'm heading to Taipei, Taiwan soon, is it cheaper there? If so what are the stores that I can get from? A good pricing store and a reputable store preferably.. Hoping to find at least 5 stores so I can go and do a survey :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2012, 06:06:47 by S0aringF1r3 »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 06:34:11 »
They're a little bit cheaper Taiwan (Race is very hard to find in stores in Taiwan). Not worth it to have no warranty, given the track record of both.
The only stores worth going to are all within 100m of each other near Guanghua Digital plaza. Just search Taipei. Discussed many times.

Offline S0aringF1r3

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 11:56:50 »
hey everyone thanks for the information, at last i decided to go for the KB talking keyboard TKL. got it for about 100$USD. NEW.. i think thats a good buy. with MX brown and Green LED. thank you everyone :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:12:08 »
Let us know what you think of if when it arrives :)