Author Topic: Cherry Switch Keycaps and LEDs  (Read 1631 times)

Offline sovano

Cherry Switch Keycaps and LEDs
« on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:00:12 »
Hi everyone. I'm preparing to buy four keychains with four different switches (red, black, blue, and brown) from Keyboardstory.
http://store.keyboardstory.com/products/product/30-cherry-mx-switch-phonestrap

Although after a browsing a bit on I found these on Youtube.
feature=related
Is there anywhere else where you can buy LED keychains? If not is it possible to add LEDs to the keychains myself?

I've kind of gone crazy with LEDs lately, and I'm also wondering if there is a guide I can read on how to add LED lights to one of my mechanical keyboards. Like the Ducky Shine in this video.
I'm assuming those are RGB lights, so he doesn't have any control on manually changing what color it he wants it to be. Although are there any out there that allow them to be programmed? I've noticed this feature in the Razer Marauder and Banshee in accordance with APM measurement in Starcraft II.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cherry Switch Keycaps and LEDs
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:51:09 »
There are no 3mm LEDs (as required by the Cherry MX housing) that will be controllable multi-colored.  Costar did demo a red/green version however that's setup to be either all green or all red since the direction of the driving current is what determines the color.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Cherry Switch Keycaps and LEDs
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:31:48 »
There are no 3mm LEDs (as required by the Cherry MX housing) that will be controllable multi-colored.  Costar did demo a red/green version however that's setup to be either all green or all red since the direction of the driving current is what determines the color.
In theory, you could get a ton of port-expanders or something, and wire each LED up individually, so you can pick green/red per switch. I wouldn't want to do it, though, as it'd be a nightmare to layout.

If you modify the switch housing, you can get another trace for multicolour LED's. Either that or those nixdorf clear cherry switch top housings and ultrabright SMD RGB LED's, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to get it bright enough. Maybe with clear keycaps. I think that'd work and look good.