Author Topic: Identifying mixed-up key caps  (Read 2313 times)

Offline SurgeonKyle

• God I love keyboards
Identifying mixed-up key caps
« on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 06:31:04 »
Hi there guys,

I was curious as I ran into an interesting issue: My new PBT keycaps (blank)  from WASD keys came in but they accidentally all got mixed up into one bag and I have a new board coming in I want to use them on. My question is, is there any easy way to identify the height of the keycaps to match up with my new board (sort them)?
Current Rotation: Ducky DK9087G2 PRO | Topre Realforce 87U TKL 55g | APC Branded Cherry G80

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
Re: Identifying mixed-up key caps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 06:40:43 »
Have you checked if there's tiny r and a number after it underneath the key?
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 06:48:01 »

Yep, WASD generally do that under all their caps. Then refer to this chart to place them on your board.

Failing that, just line them up on your desk and match them up.  :p

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline SurgeonKyle

• God I love keyboards
Re: Re: Identifying mixed-up key caps
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 08:17:48 »

Yep, WASD generally do that under all their caps. Then refer to this chart to place them on your board.

Failing that, just line them up on your desk and match them up.  :p

I tried lining them up and needless to say it was hard, very hard so many keycaps look way too similar in height, depth and width. I pray to God they identify the rows on the bottom of the caps, I'll check when I get off work later. Thanks for the advice!
Current Rotation: Ducky DK9087G2 PRO | Topre Realforce 87U TKL 55g | APC Branded Cherry G80

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:14:38 »
Apparently this is one of the joys of running a GB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ