Author Topic: Realforce EK vs 87u  (Read 5395 times)

Offline ValerieV

Realforce EK vs 87u
« on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:27:59 »
What is the difference because according to the description on Elite keyboards, they both are universally 45g? Is it just that one is dark gray and one isn't? Also, if the keyboard uses less pressure, would it be louder to type on? I want the Realforce that is the loudest!  :D

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: Realforce EK vs 87u
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:34:48 »
You mean the difference between SE1900 'Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g' and SE19E0 'Realforce 87U All-45g "EK Edition"'?

I think it's just that the latter has nice red LEDs, and the former comes with lavender WASD keys.

Basically it's ten bucks less for red LEDs! In the Filco world you have to have stupid MX black switches to get the red LEDs :(

45 g is the same as the centre switches on a variable weight Topre. They're definitely soft and quiet – if you want a loud keyboard, don't get Topre, go for a vintage Alps board :) Tactile Alps switches make a wonderful noise, much nicer than Cherry MX tactile switches.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:39:25 »
Thanks for the response. I have the HHKB and it seems a little louder than the Realforce that i had.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:43:50 »
Thanks for the response. I have the HHKB and it seems a little louder than the Realforce that i had.

Realforces are plate-mounted, the HHKB is not.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 19:02:10 »
I asked that same question and the EK guy responded that the EK had a tweaked LED and fixed legends (as well as some price relief)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 19:59:26 »
Ok really dumb question: What do they mean when they say fixed legends? thanks.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:08:32 »
Look here

On the Leopold 87U, some of the legends seem stretched.  He made them look better.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:48:25 »
Thanks!

Offline pli

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 05:01:35 »
I was researching this a few weeks ago too and decided on the EK edition mostly because http://deskthority.net/wiki/Realforce#Realforce_Model_Reference listed it as the most recent Topre board.

I figured it would be my best bet of getting the newest revisions of their components since it can't be an unit from an old production run that has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Of course, the red leds are also nice, while not a deciding factor, since blue ones kill the eyes with all that scattering.

I've had some trouble with the board though and another user reported similar findings on certain keys, so I don't know if the EK edition might be a smaller batch with a higher chance of production problems, or if it's just purely bad luck. It crossed my mind that getting the standard SE1900 might have been safer after all. You can check my post history if you are interested.

EDIT: linked to wrong article, sorry.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2012, 03:42:47 by pli »

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:32:14 »
Thanks for the information. I think i am going to hold off on getting it. My HHKB is giving me my Topre fix for now.